FootJoy Giveaway - Favourite Masters shot?

D

Deleted member 21258

Adams Scotts final putt at the Masters in 2013 breaking his duck and winning a major, great to see him win a one,

The celebration and the interesting high five holding hands afterwards with his caddie looks a bit awkward :D

D

Deleted member 1147

Another favourite of mine was Woosie spanking it over the bunkers on 18.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely has to be tigers chip in?

The most over-rated shot in golf. Mickey mouse that they set up the hole so the ball always gathers to it. He could have hit that shot in half a dozen or more different places and it would have gone in. Yes it was pure advertising theatre for Nike as the ball paused momentarily for the cameras with the Nike logo showing before toppling in...but a great shot???? I dont think so.

respectfully.

A hacker.

Suffolk.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The most over-rated shot in golf. Mickey mouse that they set up the hole so the ball always gathers to it. He could have hit that shot in half a dozen or more different places and it would have gone in. Yes it was pure advertising theatre for Nike as the ball paused momentarily for the cameras with the Nike logo showing before toppling in...but a great shot???? I dont think so.

respectfully.

A hacker.

Suffolk.

No one else did it? Just saying. If it was that easy, everyone would have, but they didn't. No one. Zip. Only Tiger.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No one else did it? Just saying. If it was that easy, everyone would have, but they didn't. No one. Zip. Only Tiger.

Davis Love III did it in 1999.

The 16th hole, due to its setup has seen twice as many holes in one (15) as all the other par three holes at Augusta combined....so there are 15 golfers who have already exceeded what Tiger did.....the pin placement on a Sunday makes it far more likely for a ball to feed into the hole....introduces an element of luck to the hole which doesn't really exist at other holes on the course.

Now I grant you that the execution by Woods was exceptional given the ball was up against the collar....but other than that...there was a lot of luck to it,

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The 16th hole, due to its setup has seen twice as many holes in one (15) as all the other par three holes at Augusta combined....so there are 15 golfers who have already exceeded what Tiger did.....the pin placement on a Sunday makes it far more likely for a ball to feed into the hole....introduces an element of luck to the hole which doesn't really exist at other holes on the course.

Now I grant you that the execution by Woods was exceptional given the ball was up against the collar....but other than that...there was a lot of luck to it,

I would hazard a guess that there arent many other examples as most players will find the green on what is probably the friendliest pin position of the whole week. Tiger's shot was brilliant but he was there because his tee shot was poor. Its a tee shot that everyone knows how it will react when the ball lands. Some players end up under clubbing and are near the front of the green at the bottom of the slope, some tee shots land too far right and get stuck up slope and dont roll back. How many players over club like Tiger did and end up through the green? For me it was a brilliant shot as much for the when it happened in the tournament rather than the execution.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

respectfully.

A hacker.

Suffolk.
How many goes do you reckon it would take you to make that easy shot ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

This.

And DL3 was further away and in a more difficult position. So anyone who thinks Tiger's shot is the greatest in Masters history are actually wrong.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Another vote for Tigers chip in.

Always made me smile when the ball just hangs there. The last thing you more or less see is the Nike swoosh disappear down the hole. Nike must of loved that.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Seeing as DL3 has had a hole in one on the 16th, even he might disagree that his chip in was the best shot at Augusta ever. Never mind his.
I think what makes shots memorable is the pressure situation you are in, be it Tigers chip,Sandys bunker shot, Bubba from the trees.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Interesting that the final day 16th hole position hasn't always been so, for quite a few years it was back right which made it much tougher, as Craig Stadler demonstrates in his winning year of 1982, see here at 1:51:50