foot position (not width apart)

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
should your feet be parallel to each other and perpendicular to the shot, or slightly splayed apart - 10 to 2ish

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Try standing with your right toe turned out to 2 o clock
Now try and sway onto your right side.
Easy.
Now turn your right toe to 12.
Now try and sway.
Not so easy.
IMO, it helps you stay centred over the ball in the backswing.

Bob, I take it the flared front foot helps the left hip (Right handed player) to clear in the downswing?

I've always stood both feet to 12 o'clock (..... Or Pigeon toed as James puts it). I think I might give the flared foot a try to see if it does help, re the above.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, I take it the flared front foot helps the left hip (Right handed player) to clear in the downswing?

I've always stood both feet to 12 o'clock (..... Or Pigeon toed as James puts it). I think I might give the flared foot a try to see if it does help, re the above.

It would help but............
It could also lead to a more out to in swing. By that I mean if the hips turn more and the shoulders follow too soon, then you will throw at the top. Keep an eye on your divots

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It would help but............
It could also lead to a more out to in swing. By that I mean if the hips turn more and the shoulders follow too soon, then you will throw at the top. Keep an eye on your divots

What I'm trying to do at the minute Bob is try and get my hip to start my downswing while keeping my arms where they are (... At the top). In reality, they do, no doubt, move down, but it's more the feeling I'm after of letting my hips go first and allowing my body rotation to being me into impact, rather than powering down with my arms.

I'll try the flared approach and see how it goes. Thanks OP for posting and thanks, again, Bob for you advice.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To build on the thread what sort of problems would 12/12 cause as I struggle to feel confident with the left foot sprayed out to 10, makes me feel like I'm going to hook it.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is me with an 8 iron as you can see my left foot is very straight. Would I benefit from spraying it out to 10?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 137

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would encourage you to do so. Your stance also looks a little wide for an 8-iron. You also have your nose in front of the ball (and probably shoulders aiming left)... which isn't good :mmm:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would encourage you to do so. Your stance also looks a little wide for an 8-iron. You also have your nose in front of the ball (and probably shoulders aiming left)... which isn't good :mmm:

I'm starting to put the ball forward more since taking this pic last weekend, its something I had addressed but it has crept back in the stance.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm starting to put the ball forward more since taking this pic last weekend, its something I had addressed but it has crept back in the stance.

It's not the ball that needs to go forwards, it's your head needs to go back.

If you look at your picture and make an imaginary line from your belt buckle to your chin (ie. the angle your spine is set at) you can see it leans to the right.

In the picture of Sean Foley below, you should be able to see that his spine leans away from the target very slightly.

inar01_sean_foley_ball_position.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not the ball that needs to go forwards, it's your head needs to go back.

If you look at your picture and make an imaginary line from your belt buckle to your chin (ie. the angle your spine is set at) you can see it leans to the right.

In the picture of Sean Foley below, you should be able to see that his spine leans away from the target very slightly.

inar01_sean_foley_ball_position.jpg

the ball is not changing position. only the right foot moves back.