Foot on the brake

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been a while since I posted a driving rant.

Why do people sit at lights with their foot on the brake? Was the way I was taught.

It's totally fine at any lights or situation that changes quickly, actually it's necessary so ensure a safe and quick manoeuvre.

What I am talking about are obvious stopped traffic or lights known to take a while to change. I was taught to change to handbrake in these situations and always try to remember too.

I've been observing traffic at two points on my commute where the lights take a while to cycle. I've ignored any quick changing situation here.

Probably about 80% of drivers sit for up to a muniute or more with their foot on the brake? Do they need the workout? Sometimes I feel like the only one not doing it.

What's your take on this?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Rarely do it in my manual and use the handbrake but always do it in the automatic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rough guess - people do about 30% of things correctly when they're driving.....
Drivers are lazy and too busy with the myriad things that exist in modern cars, seemingly designed to take our focus from driving and onto other things.
Something like 80% of drivers don't signal or don't signal correctly at roundabouts.
With no on-going assessment or testing things are never going to change...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I also think that if i shift it into park, and put the brake lights out, the numpty behind me will suddenly think we are off, and drive in the back of me. I don't trust other people, they are mainly idiots.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My car has auto handbrake but unlike my last car (a VW) it doesn't hold when stationary so if I take my foot off the foot brake it rolls away.

A proper handbrake is in the right and convenient place to use, on the dash requires me to lean out of my seat and then again when I pull away, it just doesn't make for comfortable driving so I hold it on the foot brake.

Give me an old fashioned handbrake any day.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My car has the stop start system. It tells you on the dash board if you are stationary to long with your foot on the clutch waiting to go ( economy tip). As soon as you put it into neutral and take your foot off the clutch the car cuts out. Lights turn to green, put foot on clutch and engine starts takes 1-2 seconds before you are off. Twice today I had people pipping the horn today for me to move off after a second. ? Impatient or what. Sometimes your damned if you do etc.

however when I got to me uncles estate when driving up a small rd a woman was stopped in her car the middle of the rd. She was blocking the rd, her head was down texting..
After about 10 seconds with my car 15 ft from hers I pipped the horn. She looked at me daggers. What is that all about

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I borrowed a volks with stop start. Useless in North London. In that two seconds it takes to start, someone has cut in in front of you. Its not designed for london traffic.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine have a hold brake that engages the braking system and so leaves the brake lights on. I don't have my foot on the brake itself, it is designed to work that way.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My car has the stop start system. It tells you on the dash board if you are stationary to long with your foot on the clutch waiting to go ( economy tip). As soon as you put it into neutral and take your foot off the clutch the car cuts out. Lights turn to green, put foot on clutch and engine starts takes 1-2 seconds before you are off. Twice today I had people pipping the horn today for me to move off after a second. ? Impatient or what. Sometimes your damned if you do etc.

however when I got to me uncles estate when driving up a small rd a woman was stopped in her car the middle of the rd. She was blocking the rd, her head was down texting..
After about 10 seconds with my car 15 ft from hers I pipped the horn. She looked at me daggers. What is that all about

I just wonder how well 15 year old stop/start engines will work.........
My last training car had Stop/start - had to disable it.....The kids kept thinking they'd stalled it......😁

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I often thought the same until I got an automatic. If I know the lights and it's a longish wait or if stuck at the level crossing I use regularly the I usually go in Park. Otherwise I don't bother. I guess there are much higher numbers of automatcs around these days than 20/30 years ago so it probably just seems a lot worse. Get some sunglasses :D

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most new cars have "Hill start assist", where you keep foot on brake and when pulling away the brake is held on for a few seconds, to stop from rolling back. The latest VW's have "Auto hold", so when car comes to a halt and footbrake is released, the brake is held on automatically, and when ready, just pull away - a really useful feature.

As mentioned, the "Start stop" facility can be a pain when in lots of traffic. I usually turn it off in heavy traffic as it can be a real nuisance going on and off all the time! It defaults back when engine is restarted.