What's the point of Neutral on an Automatic gearbox?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At the risk of appearing stupid -

Picked up the new car yesterday, it's the first automatic I've had. Like my last few cars it has an electronic parking brake with auto-hold function. If I select Drive but take my foot off the accelerator, it sits there quite happily, so there doesn't appear to be any need to slip it into Neutral like I would do with a manual gearbox?

Am I missing something here?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the risk of appearing stupid -

Picked up the new car yesterday, it's the first automatic I've had. Like my last few cars it has an electronic parking brake with auto-hold function. If I select Drive but take my foot off the accelerator, it sits there quite happily, so there doesn't appear to be any need to slip it into Neutral like I would do with a manual gearbox?

Am I missing something here?

Isn't it something to do with having the ability to push the car in neutral

Auto car was get you to select it to be able to drag your car through

Means the wheels move freely I believe rather than have to turn the engine

Something like that

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without a neutral it would mean the car starting in gear and that’s never a good idea. It also allows you to “roll” the car if needed.

Agreed that the actual uses are limited with hold brakes and “park” functions (which are mainly just neutral with handbrake on).

I’d say the main reason you’d need it is if you broke down and needed to push the car.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Without a neutral it would mean the car starting in gear and that’s never a good idea. It also allows you to “roll” the car if needed.

Agreed that the actual uses are limited with hold brakes and “park” functions (which are mainly just neutral with handbrake on).

I’d say the main reason you’d need it is if you broke down and needed to push the car.

Surely you start the engine when the car is in P (Park)?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was told it's just for when you get towed pretty much. Two years driving an automatic and I've not used neutral yet.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it was if the car ever needs to be towed.
When the car is in P it has a small hook that slots into a gear cog this is what stops the car rolling.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes, which is just neutral state with handbrake on. The gearbox doesn’t have a “park” state.
Just copied this from the internet.....

Your automatic transmission has a device known as a parking pawl. This device locks the transmissions output shaft, preventing it from moving when your shifter is in Park.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just copied this from the internet.....

Your automatic transmission has a device known as a parking pawl. This device locks the transmissions output shaft, preventing it from moving when your shifter is in Park.

I stand corrected. I know that in both of mine it’s just a neutral state with “parking brake” on. I can remove the parking brake and the car would roll.

This is handy if the car faults before starting.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My neighbour somehow managed to stall her Merc, it jammed and wouldn't start when the gear stick was in Park position, it only started when it was put in neutral.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I am stopped (handbrake on) with the car in neutral (e.g. at traffic lights) there is no necessity to put my foot on the footbrake to put it in to drive.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I select Drive but take my foot off the accelerator, it sits there quite happily, so there doesn't appear to be any need to slip it into Neutral like I would do with a manual gearbox?

If I select neutral with the parking brake on the revs drop quite noticeably on my car and depending on the situation goes in to eco mode ie the engine turns off.