Flightscope

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the forum view on flightscope?

I was using one last night hitting a few different irons and, fun though it was, I ended up taking all the results with a pinch of salt.

Hitting into a strong wind it didn't surprise me that I wasn't getting the distance I'd expect but was told that it doesn't use the actual ball flight and instead works it out from swing speed etc. So yardages should have been pretty much as expected. But I was hitting some decent strikes 20+ yards shorter than I'd expect, getting 20-odd yard variations in distance that looked pretty similar to the naked eye. Most worryingly, it was saying shots were going massively right - even some that visibly moved right to left.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was using one last night hitting a few different irons and, fun though it was, I ended up taking all the results with a pinch of salt.

Hitting into a strong wind it didn't surprise me that I wasn't getting the distance I'd expect but was told that it doesn't use the actual ball flight and instead works it out from swing speed etc. So yardages should have been pretty much as expected. But I was hitting some decent strikes 20+ yards shorter than I'd expect, getting 20-odd yard variations in distance that looked pretty similar to the naked eye. Most worryingly, it was saying shots were going massively right - even some that visibly moved right to left.

Id rank it a notch below Trackman and GC2.

however I am pretty sure the FlightScope is Doppler (same as Trackman) so should reflect conditions fairly well unless it was being ‘normalised’ to ignore conditions

D

Deleted member 21258

I use one and it is pretty accurate, follows the ball/club like trackman setup. Never had any troubles when I have used it.

On an indoor setup then it predicts the flight from the first x feet flight.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use one and it is pretty accurate, follows the ball/club like trackman setup. Never had any troubles when I have used it.

On an indoor setup then it predicts the flight from the first x feet flight.

How can it say I've hit it 20 yards right when I've actually hit it with about five yards of draw? :confused: The only thing I can think is that where I'm aiming and where it thinks is straight aren't the same direction....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It might depend on the type of Flightscope.
Newer ones sit behind the ball, like!e TrackMan and follow every inch of the flight.
Earlier Flightscope units sat at the side of the ball and only measured the first few inches of flight and then extrapolated the rest...
I could, of course, be completely wrong and making this all up....

D

Deleted member 21258

How can it say I've hit it 20 yards right when I've actually hit it with about five yards of draw? :confused: The only thing I can think is that where I'm aiming and where it thinks is straight aren't the same direction....

I am not sure, never really had any great problems with mis reads on the Xi+, it sometimes misses shots, so cant be of any help but the one I use is very easy to setup and align. Will have a look at my manual later after work and see if it say anything.

Website with details of products etc :-

https://flightscope.com/products/flightscope-xi-plus/

All the products are listed on the above, along with the older defunct ones.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It might depend on the type of Flightscope.
Newer ones sit behind the ball, like!e TrackMan and follow every inch of the flight.
Earlier Flightscope units sat at the side of the ball and only measured the first few inches of flight and then extrapolated the rest...
I could, of course, be completely wrong and making this all up....

I'd go along with this
Used one a couple of years ago that was by the side of the ball, during an AG tour trick visit I think, and it wasn't very accurate (this was on a range where you could see the full flight)

Hitting pulls gave the straightest and longest results :confused:

Have used Trackman 4 which seems very accurate, haven't tried Flightscope recently

D

Deleted member 21258

I'd go along with this
Used one a couple of years ago that was by the side of the ball, during an AG tour trick visit I think, and it wasn't very accurate (this was on a range where you could see the full flight)

Are you sure, I thought all flightscope products, even the old ones, setup behind the ball, as they have to follow the ball. Have a look on the above link I posted and see which one was it?

You sure it wasn't another setup like the Vector Pro?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

flightscope was the world's first 3d doppler radar system (pre trackman) originally formed in 1985 as a missile tracking system for the defense industry (& trackman followed them into this)
in around 1995 they realized the sports applications - they still operate in the defense industry (don't ever recall a golf fscope unit that operated from a side-on position)

believe it's flightscope that measures the ball speed in cricket

as a unit flightscope is accurate - folks that are not real used to using lm's often times tend to be surprised that distance #'s are 'short' of their perceived distances - that said the unit has to be set up (calibrated) but real unusual in my experience for them not to be - as pretty easy to set-up

you had no-one to interpret the data #'s there are the time ?

have you any screen shots/record of the various data screens ? flightscope measures 27 parameters in all - it can be a tad confusing

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi coach yeah they left me to get on with it so nobody interpreting although I was mainly interested in carry distance. Which was fine, I just wanted to try some clubs and the stars were a bonus. Figures were ok into the strong wind but miles short of what I’d expect in normal conditions but supposedly that was what it should be showing.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi coach yeah they left me to get on with it so nobody interpreting although I was mainly interested in carry distance. Which was fine, I just wanted to try some clubs and the stars were a bonus. Figures were ok into the strong wind but miles short of what I’d expect in normal conditions but supposedly that was what it should be showing.

yep if it was just set-up to deal with 'actuality' - then the radar would track the balls actual whole flight & distances into the prevailing wind