Flat back swing

MikeF86

Visit site
Took a couple of videos at the range yesterday, my goodness i'm so flat but never felt it. Tried with the next few balls to really address it and saw a noticeable change in ball flight, strike quality. What drills are people using if they are going through the same process? Waiting on some feedback from the chap i have lessons with but also wanted some real world feedback. Trying to figure out how to add pics/vids to show the difference.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Doesn't look that flat to me. As far as I'm concerned there is only one way the shoulders should rotate & that is at right angles to the spine. This means that if you have long legs & short arms you bend over a lot & swing steeply. If, like me, you have very short legs, you stand more upright & swing flat. In my experience (and I have a lot of it!) any attempt to swing more steeply leads to tilting the shoulders instead of turning them. Doing this makes me hit everything left & accuracy goes out of the window. A lot of steep singers swing this way because of the way they use their hands, not by tilting the shoulders.

MikeF86

Visit site
I agree, I wouldn't worry about your backswing.
Do you ever hit the ball left?

Generally no. I'd say the bad shot is a push. Can i ask why?

I've seen a lot of your posts and respect your views, if I asked you for you one view if you've watched the videos, what would you say?

Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally no. I'd say the bad shot is a push. Can i ask why?

I've seen a lot of your posts and respect your views, if I asked you for you one view if you've watched the videos, what would you say?

Thanks

I'd say the backswing doesn't look overly flat, your top of the backswing is actually quite good.
But.........there's always a but

If you compare your club face angle with Rorys, yours is well closed

Photo0.jpg

If your bad shot is a push, you must be holding off the release.
I'd get someone to check your grip, make sure it's not too strong.
Apart from that, a pretty good effort

MikeF86

Visit site
I'd say the backswing doesn't look overly flat, your top of the backswing is actually quite good.
But.........there's always a but

If you compare your club face angle with Rorys, yours is well closed

View attachment 46806

If your bad shot is a push, you must be holding off the release.
I'd get someone to check your grip, make sure it's not too strong.
Apart from that, a pretty good effort

Bob - I appreciate the feedback. I've always played very closed face, its why i hit generally further than most my peers club for club but have such a low flight. The club used to be ultra closed at 9 O'clock on the take away but i've worked hard trying to correct it. Playing open knowingly feels so alien to me still at this point but i'm trying. The still you have of me in that comparison with Rory is the 'after' and my conscious effort to get 'my hands higher'. The instant reaction was a ball flight twice as high as i'd normally see. I'll get the grip looked at, thanks!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's your low hands, not a huge difference but still the closed face.

2.jpg

There's also a touch of rolling the wrists (fanning) on the backswing which won't help and you may want to keep an eye on that.
Untitledhhh.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going through the same at the moment. For me when I'm flat I drive the ball well, but crap with irons, low with poor strike.

Hope you figure it out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a flat swinger. The practice swings are never as flat as the real thing. Once the ball goes in it's hard work to fight the natural tendencies.

One thing I have been trying to work on is to maintain width.