Fitted wedges yes or no?

Lummy86

Visit site
I play of 21 I have everything fitted apart from my wedges and putter. Would the make a massive difference if I got them fitted

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know lots pf people who have great short games with 'off the shelf' wedges & putters

I personally have my wedges fitted as my clubs are 2 & 1/2 inches longer than stock length and this changes the lie angle. Just a height thing in my case.

Depending if you need the rest of your set to have a significant adjustment in fitting like I do would indicate if your wedges need the same treatment ....otherwise no!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you've already fitted everything else, and you can honestly say you've felt the benefits of that, then I don't see why you wouldn't do the wedges as well.

CountLippe

Visit site
I would argue no. Surely the benefit of a fitting is that you're using the same swing each time and getting optimum length / dispersion for said swing?? With the wedges you tailor the grip, grip position, ball position, face etc depending on the shot.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd suggest having a short game lesson first, I did this a little while ago and it made a huge difference to my game.

Agree - I think fitting is going to help most with Driver. but unless you are particularly tall / short or have an unusual action, I would be surprised if wedge fitting would make a difference.

What does make a difference is the knowledge of the bounce and grinds.

I got 2 vokeys, 50 which is 'best suited' for use on the fairway. And a 54, with the grind cut down slightly and is suitable for hitting off turf around the greens.
I also have an old 60 with 10 degrees of bounce, which is great for using out of a sandy bunker.

Any decent shop with a simulator should be able to talk you through the purpose and theory behind these. It can get overwhelming looking at the dozens of combinations, but for me, given I was getting new wedges, it made a difference. Not even so much having the clubs, but just the understanding of what each club was supposed to do. So I'm not trying to hit my 54 with cut down sole out of fluffy bunkers!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd suggest having a short game lesson first, I did this a little while ago and it made a huge difference to my game.

This for me too. It'll also highlight what sort of short game technique you have (digger, sweeper etc) and you can take that and your prevalent course conditions (tight, parkland) and type of bunkers and work out what the best type of wedge would suit. Alternatively you can look at something like the Vokey fitting chart for a few ideas

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Getting the lie angle right on wedges can be an important thing.
The higher the loft, the more lie angle matters.
Have a wedge lie out by 2° and you could be aiming into the next county when you think you're aiming straight.
Other than that.......

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know lots pf people who have great short games with 'off the shelf' wedges & putters

I personally have my wedges fitted as my clubs are 2 & 1/2 inches longer than stock length and this changes the lie angle. Just a height thing in my case.

Depending if you need the rest of your set to have a significant adjustment in fitting like I do would indicate if your wedges need the same treatment ....otherwise no!

Wow 2 1/2 inches must been hard to extend hickory shafts by :eek:

Out of interest just how tall are you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Getting the lie angle right on wedges can be an important thing.
The higher the loft, the more lie angle matters.
Have a wedge lie out by 2° and you could be aiming into the next county when you think you're aiming straight.
Other than that.......
its the bounce thats important to me, once you know what suits you best, once you know that off the shelf is fine or is for me anyway

Lummy86

Visit site
Agree - I think fitting is going to help most with Driver. but unless you are particularly tall / short or have an unusual action, I would be surprised if wedge fitting would make a difference.

What does make a difference is the knowledge of the bounce and grinds.

I got 2 vokeys, 50 which is 'best suited' for use on the fairway. And a 54, with the grind cut down slightly and is suitable for hitting off turf around the greens.
I also have an old 60 with 10 degrees of bounce, which is great for using out of a sandy bunker.

Any decent shop with a simulator should be able to talk you through the purpose and theory behind these. It can get overwhelming looking at the dozens of combinations, but for me, given I was getting new wedges, it made a difference. Not even so much having the clubs, but just the understanding of what each club was supposed to do. So I'm not trying to hit my 54 with cut down sole out of fluffy bunkers!
Cheers

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Guess it depends what you mean by fitting. I have just booked a session at a demo day next week, labelled as a wedge fitting, but it will be more about gapping, to determine what lofts I need, and what bounce/grind suits me. I don't propose to try different shafts like I would for irons or woods.

Another thing mentioned earlier in the thread is cost. I have never paid for fitting yet as I always use my local pro shop, who have never charged or have at least discounted the cost of any purchases. Is that not the norm? I would be wary about paying up front for a fitting.