Fitness levels...can't work this one out

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Now I'm not the fittest bloke in the world. Not overweight (much) but just getting on a bit now.
Last week I played 6 rounds in 5 days. One Weds, one Thurs, one Fri, two Sat and one Sunday. Walked each time. OK I was getting a bit tired during the last two rounds but I could, if necessary, have played another round. Legs were ok, which normally give me the problems.
Haven't played since then until yesterday afternoon when I played 18 holes at Copthorne. Not a hilly course, fairly easy walking. But after having a coffee after the round my ankles siezed up something chronic. I was walking back to the car like C3PO. I couldn't have played again.
What's the crack?
:D :D

p1pete

Club Champion
Visit site
I sometimes have the same problem and I know its not fitness.

Just spent a week in the lake district with the wife and dogs, walking for 10 hours a day up some of the highest peaks in the area, scrabbling over rocks and scree with 15kg pack on my back with no problem.

Sometimes I finsish a round of golf and 30 minutes later my ankles are killing me and am struggling to walk......I'm thinking its gotta be my shoes.

C

CannyFifer

I get this after most rounds and in my right knee. I blame the weight I carry but it has got better after a pair of Footjoys but couldnt manage 2 rounds. Time for a salad instead of my usual pie and chips :eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I get this after most rounds and in my right knee. I blame the weight I carry but it has got better after a pair of Footjoys but couldnt manage 2 rounds. Time for a fish supper instead of my usual pie and chips :eek:

:D

p1pete

Club Champion
Visit site
I dont carry my bag, have a cart. And I wear FootJoys but perhaps they aren't suited to me?? A firend has Ecco's (sp?) and he reckons they are the best shoe he has ever had....might try a pair

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's the course per se, but more how level your stance is, plus the way you turn on the day.
some days, some courses, just seem to demand that you load the kness and ankles.

however, lets face it, you're just an old f*rt now. time for tartan booties and horlicks - and time to get Leftie to caddie for you. :rolleyes:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
However, lets face it, you're just an old f*rt now. time for tartan booties and horlicks

As you are in my group on Friday Steve, it sounds very much like you are throwing down the gauntlet.
Fiver F9, fiver B9, fiver the match????
And I'll give you your full quota of 9 shots
;) ;) ;) ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
However, lets face it, you're just an old f*rt now. time for tartan booties and horlicks

As you are in my group on Friday Steve, it sounds very much like you are throwing down the gauntlet.
;) ;) ;) ;)

rattled moi? :D

I'm not... I'm just an old fart ready for his tarten booties and horlicks. I've got nothing to lose
;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
...it sounds very much like you are throwing down the gauntlet.

WHY can't you just play the game and see if you can get the ball in the hole?, every time you play a match it distracts you from the shot at hand.

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
...it sounds very much like you are throwing down the gauntlet.

WHY can't you just play the game and see if you can get the ball in the hole?

But how is he ever going to get the ball in the hole if someone keeps throwing gauntlets down in front of him?

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It just sounds like after effects of last weeks 6 rounds. Not enough rest after playing.

Don't worry about it. Take it easy and all will be well next week.

I recently went on a weekend away. Played 18 on the Sat then hit the town. Danced pretty much for 4 hours solid in a great night club till 6am. Plenty of women to dance with! On the tee Sun for 10am for another 18. No problems.

Come the Monday, I couldn't walk. My calves felt like they'd been ripped off! 4 days later I was fine.

You've just over done it a bit with not enough rest.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Smiffy, when you sit down after a round, move your feet/kankles every now and again to keep everything loose. When you stop exertion the body tries to rest, when you stand up again the muscles just arnt warmed up and ready, try running to your front door first thing in the morning straight out of bed, I'll bet it's more Roger Ramjet than Roger black!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with fitness but probably more to do with muscles tightening after sitting down for a while after playing which is why a lot of athletes have a warm down after playing to let the body recover naturally. To be fair the chance for a drink and some grub and maybe the odd twinge later seems a much better option. Are you sure its not the catheter's weight making your legs feel tired

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy, when you sit down after a round, move your feet/kankles every now and again to keep everything loose. When you stop exertion the body tries to rest, when you stand up again the muscles just arnt warmed up and ready, try running to your front door first thing in the morning straight out of bed, I'll bet it's more Roger Ramjet than Roger black!

But that was the silly thing...
After playing at Cooden last Wednesday we stopped for a coffee straight afterwards, and no bad ankles.
Thursday at Gainsborough we stopped again for a drink etc. after the game, no problems.
After each round at Forest Pines we either stopped for a beer (or soft drink in between the 36 holer on Saturday) and no problems whatsover.
Even after the final round on the Sunday we stopped, had a drink and then I drove the 210 miles home afterwards with no ill effects (well James drove most of the way 'cos I was mentally tired). But when I got out of the car the other end I was fine.
Really weird.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now I'm not the fittest bloke in the world. Not overweight (much) but just getting on a bit now.
Last week I played 6 rounds in 5 days. One Weds, one Thurs, one Fri, two Sat and one Sunday. Walked each time. OK I was getting a bit tired during the last two rounds but I could, if necessary, have played another round. Legs were ok, which normally give me the problems.
Haven't played since then until yesterday afternoon when I played 18 holes at Copthorne. Not a hilly course, fairly easy walking. But after having a coffee after the round my ankles siezed up something chronic. I was walking back to the car like C3PO. I couldn't have played again.
What's the crack?
:D :D

Smiff,
The crack is that fitness isnt a measure of how long you can last at something primarily........
your level of fitness is determined by how fast your body can recover after hard exercise...........

The more active you are the faster it recovers......But also the more fuel your body needs to run properly......

If you were to play those 6 rounds every week then your body would adapt to it and after a few months it would be no bother to you.......

Its kinda like a footballer getting injured.....if he takes a week off to recover then the week he gets back into it he will be sore initially.