First time joining a club - What questions do I need to ask

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Used to live just round the corner to the club, brings back memories and still travel down there regularly.

Hope the club welcomes you and your wife/children, not had any dealings with the club for quite a number of years and don't wish to go into reasons but I would suggest you pop down there a few more times, play a couple of rounds of golf there and ensure the feeling you got/get are the same on each occasion.

You got me worried now .... They said I get a 2 week grace/cooling off period until I receive my invoice where I have full member rights (access_ but not yet a member so I will use that wisely.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was once on a committee for a club that had this period where the name went up on a board. I asked if anyone had been refused and they admitted the answer was no. They did say they had this in case there were known cheats coming from another club that had asked them to leave or other known trouble makers. They did not actively search for problems, it was to deal with genuine, hard core problem members from other clubs joining.

Don't worry is my point, unless you have Kray like tendencies :D.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the further advice and to answer some of the questions and for others who may find themselves in a similar position:

I'm hoping to join Rochford Hundred (near Southend on Sea)

I just straight up asked what does the club do to integrate new members and (to summarise) they hold rolls ups in the week and on Sat and Sun these are all drawn you just throw your ball into a hat and off you go, comps are drawn also so in a very short space of time you can get to know a lot of members very quickly. In addition they have buddies for new members who you can call on to answer questions etc. They also have loads of social functions during the year.

I guess I will get out it what I am prepared to put in but my gut feel is that this is not a cliquey club so the only thing stopping me getting involved will be me. I have no qualms now about joining up and being included as I was made to feel welcome at every step when I informally went for a look around a couple of the members who overheard me checking in at the pro shop to ask if it was OK came over and introduced themselves and spent about 10 mins chatting to me. I also hung around in the spike bar after my meeting on Saturday having a coffee and again a couple of members struck up conversation with me. I got introduced to the admin guys and in the afternoon the guy who runs the junior academy got in touch to talk through the details of that and my wife is now going along to an open day for the ladies section.

Caseuk In the club I'm joining my name goes onto a board for two weeks for members to view and if for example you are known locally for all the wrong reasons then the existing members can have a chat with the committee and you don't get to join (black balled). I don't know if every club does this.

I'll just ask what you asked, I'm clueless to all this club business so I'm a bit out of my element here, I thought I'd go to the interview get accepted unless a reason otherwise and be playing by Thursday, I don't think there would be a reason to knock me back I don't really know anyone about here and I'm not well known either so should just be a formality, I guess I'll find out more on wed

D

Deleted member 21258

You got me worried now .... They said I get a 2 week grace/cooling off period until I receive my invoice where I have full member rights (access_ but not yet a member so I will use that wisely.

Was quite a number of years ago, would imagine things have changed quite a bit, as with a lot of golf clubs, so no reason to worry really.

If you have 2 weeks trial period, then that is brilliant(and no joining fees). Hope you enjoy the course/membership and it does has a nice clubhouse.

What other clubs were you thinking of ?

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Was quite a number of years ago, would imagine things have changed quite a bit, as with a lot of golf clubs, so no reason to worry really.

If you have 2 weeks trial period, then that is brilliant(and no joining fees). Hope you enjoy the course/membership and it does has a nice clubhouse.

What other clubs were you thinking of ?

My criteria was: no joining fee, Kid friendly, active social events, regular roll ups and competitions and max 20 min drive away. Just so that I could get use after work in the summer months as my play time during the week is restricted (plus a cab home is not too expensive)

Belfairs - they did not even call me back
Rayleigh Club - didn't really get a good feel on that - nothing specific just didn't like it
Bunsay Downs, Three Rivers, Langon Hills & Garons were possibles but a little too far away so got ruled out.

So it came down to Ballards Gore vs Rochford Hundred and I just felt I got better looked after at Rochford Hundred. I also really liked the more traditional golf club feel of the place.

I dragged along the whole family to my short list viewings and they all picked RHGC as well.

You can never truly tell but I did do a lot of homework and RHGC just IMHO stood well above the rest.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My criteria was: no joining fee, Kid friendly, active social events, regular roll ups and competitions and max 20 min drive away. Just so that I could get use after work in the summer months as my play time during the week is restricted (plus a cab home is not too expensive)

Belfairs - they did not even call me back
Rayleigh Club - didn't really get a good feel on that - nothing specific just didn't like it
Bunsay Downs, Three Rivers, Langon Hills & Garons were possibles but a little too far away so got ruled out.

So it came down to Ballards Gore vs Rochford Hundred and I just felt I got better looked after at Rochford Hundred. I also really liked the more traditional golf club feel of the place.

I dragged along the whole family to my short list viewings and they all picked RHGC as well.

You can never truly tell but I did do a lot of homework and RHGC just IMHO stood well above the rest.

Wouldn't touch Ballards Gore - played there a few weeks ago and the place was like a swimming pool/lake - surface water was nothing like I've seen on a golf course before - saying that, the club house is lovely and had a very relaxed feel about the place.

If you wanted a friendly club, you should have looked at mine (The Burstead); although it may be too far out if you think Langdon Hills was out of reach.

I heard RHGC use temporary's a lot and if you are a plane spotter, you'll love it :D

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Wouldn't touch Ballards Gore - played there a few weeks ago and the place was like a swimming pool/lake - surface water was nothing like I've seen on a golf course before - saying that, the club house is lovely and had a very relaxed feel about the place.

If you wanted a friendly club, you should have looked at mine (The Burstead); although it may be too far out if you think Langdon Hills was out of reach.

I heard RHGC use temporary's a lot and if you are a plane spotter, you'll love it :D

Burstead is a lovely course. I only played there once years ago on a society day and really enjoyed it and it was on my Radar but it was a little too far out to be able to pop over for a few holes after work.

I am not a plane spotter by any means but for some reason I am fascinated watching planes take off and land (sad I know). I once spent about an hour at the viewing gallery at Schiphol waiting for a travelling companion so should be happy on the later holes.

D

Deleted member 21258

That's the kind of thing I would do :rofl:

Never played Rayleigh club(used to be called Hanover), never played there but did try to book up a society there, bit unhelpful and we ended up going someone else.

RHGC isn't the quiet course to play on with the train/large airport now around.

Belfairs I assume its still a council round course(quite liked the course, some cracking holes in the woodland), with a club attached.

3 Rivers, was a member here when it was owned by Clubhaus, choice of the kings and queens course. Used to get muddy but understand from a current member the new drainage has helped a lot. Left as I could never get a tee time on the Kings course at the weekend, don't know if it is still a problem. Then I went to Hainualt for a few years(loved the courses but long rounds/a good hour to drive there at the weekend from rochford, weirdly at that time it was owned by Essex Golf centres, who also owned Garons & Merrist Wood a that time). Ended up at Burnham[ very friendly course, loved the atmosphere there, would join again if I still lived in Essex]

Ballards Gore, never a course I have really warmed to, not sure why, pro shop/clubhouse was friendly.

If you are in Rayleigh, are the courses out the back of Brentwood near enough ? (like the Warley Park/Bentley/Thorndon or even orsett which is based on sand )

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
It sounds a bit silly to say yes they are a bit far away as they are all only about 25-35 mins drive which is not far at all and fine at weekends but I work up in the city so during the week by the time I jump on the train get home, changed and back out again every second counts. I can get to RHGC in about 12 mins and no Rayleigh Weir, Carpenters Arms, Fairglen or Rettendon Turnpike to contend with (locals will understand) so no real hold ups. To be fair I am about 5 mins drive away from the Raleigh Club/Hannover though.

If I can store my clubs at the club I could go straight there by train from work as the club is only a couple of mins walk from the station and my house for the return journey is about 4 mins walk from Rayleigh station.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I know you are all bored with this by now but I just had a call from the club this morning to say that as they spent so much time with me Saturday they don't need a formal interview and I'm in if I want to !

My two week grace period has started and it just so happens that I am working from home today so may be able to sneak out tonight

@caseuk - Good luck and hope it all goes well tomorrow

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done mate glad your in, i hope its the same for me tomorrow, keep the posts coming I'm enjoying reading your experience for me its great information,

D

Deleted member 21258

Enjoy the golf later, great result about not having to go for a formal 2nd interview.

Hope to hear updates and hopefully you will stick around on the forum, we need some more Essex people on here.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back there from my interview all went well I think, a couple of laughs always breaks the ice, there is a committee meeting a week on Thursday so I should find out by the Friday or Monday after so could be a nice we bday present for me, they do a sweep to integrate members and have comps and stuff like that, all in all it went OK and hopefully i am accepted, fingers crossed

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Just back there from my interview all went well I think, a couple of laughs always breaks the ice, there is a committee meeting a week on Thursday so I should find out by the Friday or Monday after so could be a nice we bday present for me, they do a sweep to integrate members and have comps and stuff like that, all in all it went OK and hopefully i am accepted, fingers crossed

Excellent good to hear and I am sure there will be no problem.

Played the first 9 holes on mine on Tuesday eve, I teed off about 6.15. I had a guy teeing off on 4 as I was putting on 1 but no one else started so I had the 9 holes all to myself, which was great as I had no one to witness the mess I made on the first hole.

It is a short course at 6140 yards off the yellows but it is really tight and you really have to think about where to place every shot. Unfortunately whilst my brain managed the course fairly well, my physical representation of those thoughts left much to be desired my blobs and threes equalled each other!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent good to hear and I am sure there will be no problem.

Played the first 9 holes on mine on Tuesday eve, I teed off about 6.15. I had a guy teeing off on 4 as I was putting on 1 but no one else started so I had the 9 holes all to myself, which was great as I had no one to witness the mess I made on the first hole.

It is a short course at 6140 yards off the yellows but it is really tight and you really have to think about where to place every shot. Unfortunately whilst my brain managed the course fairly well, my physical representation of those thoughts left much to be desired my blobs and threes equalled each other!

That's good you managed a few hole in, I quite like when its quiet I can just take my time and relax, I went up to my local council course today first iv been up in a month and it showed slicing my driver, topping the ball only good part was my putting (hit a 53 footer) this waiting to join business is affecting my play and improvement time

andyp1977

Hacker
Visit site
Have played there a couple of times as a guest. My father in law was 2009 captain at RHGC. I like the course. Don’t get to play there as often as I’d like. Also got married at the church there and had my reception at the clubhouse using the marquee they have on the practice green for their summer ball.

I find Ballards Gore to be quite a nice course but spend most of my golf time on the east course at The Rayleigh Club.