First tee syndrome!

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,

I played my first round of the year last Sunday, and nearly broke 90 for the first time, shooting a 91!

After thinking about that round, I realised I could have actually broke 90, had I not had to have dropped two shots off the first tee, for my ball going out of bounds! This seems to be an on going problem with my game, that my first couple of tee shots, seem to be rather inconsistent, and it isnt until I get to the 5/6 hole, that I start to hit the ball better.

Has anybody got any ideas how I can be more confident, stepping up onto the first tee?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have a bit of a warm up? If you have a practice area go and hit 20 or 25 balls to warm up. A few wedges, then a few mid irons then a few with the club you'll hit off of the first tee.

Cheers mate. Unfortunately, the course I usually play at, doesnt have a practice area, but does have a net, so I may start to go in there, before hand. Heading to the range later, to hit a few balls, just to get a few things clear in my head, that went wrong last week! haha!

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're often struggling with the 1st hole, have a think about your strategy for that hole.

I'm making a few assumptions about the way you play it, so any more info would be helpful.

Is it a par 4? And how long is it? What is your handicap?

But for the sake of argument...

To play to your handicap (assuming you only get a shot), all you need to do is bogey it. In which case, do you need to hit a driver on it, or even a 3-wood?

Why not take an iron off the tee to get it 180 yards down the hole, rather than risking the out of bounds? Then take another mid iron, maybe a 6, which should only leave a pitch on, and two putts for bogey.

To break 90, you don't even need to par any hole, so why put pressure on yourself on the first tee to boom one away with a wood? Better to hit two safe shots and ease yourself into the round gently. I often hit irons off the first tee, and getting off to a solid start with a decent hit does wonders for confidence.

If you're already using an iron off the tee, and still hitting it OOB, my other suggestion is to pray! ;)

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
go out the night before and get drunk. Wake up in the morning with a hangover and when you come to hit your first shot you won't be thinking about it (your first drive) at all. I guarantee this will work.

A more sensible solution will be to hit a few balls before you start your round.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You don't give us a clue of how the problem manifests itself eg pull hook with a driver. I would suggest a 5 iron off the tee, it would go far enough on a reasonable hit to get away from anyone hanging around the tee area and you should be on in 3 shots (par 4) with at least one putt for a par

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd use the net to at least warm up and get the feeling of club on ball. I think you're going out with negative feelings about the first. Everyone feels a little nervous and self-confident on the first with others around. Play it with a plan and swing easy. Try taking a deep breath as you set up and exhale just as you swing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi,

I played my first round of the year last Sunday, and nearly broke 90 for the first time, shooting a 91!

After thinking about that round, I realised I could have actually broke 90, had I not had to have dropped two shots off the first tee, for my ball going out of bounds! This seems to be an on going problem with my game, that my first couple of tee shots, seem to be rather inconsistent, and it isnt until I get to the 5/6 hole, that I start to hit the ball better.

Has anybody got any ideas how I can be more confident, stepping up onto the first tee?

Start on the 10th :)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Who am I to give advice? :mmm:

Generally, 1st tee, a few people watching maybe? Feeling a bit tense and nervous? You may end up gripping the driver like you're trying to squeeze the life out of it. I often do!
A good tip I was given was to carry out your pre shot routine, address the ball, then breathe out just before you swing. This makes it nigh on impossible to tense up. Swing easy and (according to the books!) boom it straight down the middle. Should anyway! :fore:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Use a club that you feel confident to hit the fairway with. Use a 7 iron if thats the club that sets you up for a good second shot.

If you have a shot on the hole then it must make sence. When your confidence or skills improve you can consider using somthing else. Course management!!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no cast iron solution.

I've been on the range for 45 mins before going out and then hit one straight OOB and finishing with an 11 !!! On another day I've driven into the carpark, rushed to get my shoes on and ran to the tee to meet my opponent for a singles match, then proceeded to drive down the middle, 5 iron to 100 yards then a wedge to 2 feet and end up with a birdie.

Best thing you can do to gain confidence is to take an easy swing with a club you feel confident with. Get through the hole without too much drama. Certainly some net practice will get you swinging smoother.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Work on a pre shot routine. It will help you on every shot. Ask yourself 'where you want to play your next shot from?' Then how are you going to get the ball there? Use a stock shot shape of you have one. Pick a target out in the distance (they say the more exact a target the better). Take a practice swing. Stand behind the ball and line up your ball with a mark on the ground and your target and fire.
If say the OOB is on the right (a guess on my part) tee up on the right of the tee and play away from the trouble, aiming down the left side of the fairway (and vice versa if OOB is left).
Oh, and frankly, no one else really cares where you hit your shot (nor mine or anyone elses) and the world wont end no matter where you hit it (unles you play near Sellafield I guess!) so relax.
Good luck.