First ever lessons

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all, started playing what I call properly last year, got my handicap down to 20 pretty quickly. I always thought if I had lessons, they would try and change everything and I kind of fought off booking any. Well I finally booked a course today that's 6 x 45 minute lessons and a 2 hour course lesson. What attitude should I take to lesson 1?

A. I have got to 20 quickly on my own, so just want a tweak here and there.
B. be open for whatever pro tells me, as obviously he knows a hell of a lot more than me!

For some reason I am feeling defensive, typical bloke not willing to open up to critisicm.. I know the answer, just interested to hear what other people think / suggest..

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends how much you want to improve - ideally not only listen to the pro but go down the range a few times a week to work on it. Some of what he says to do might feel strange at first, and trying it on the golf course itself is likely to lead to dissapointment. So use your local range and dont expect too much too quickly.
Of course, if you havent got the time to go to the range a few times a week then look for a tweak (although I would ask why you you want lessons in the first place).
Oh, and most of all - enjoy!:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You need to have a chat with your pro before the lesson begins.
Explain to him why you want the lessons, and what area of your game you need help.
And very important, tell him/her how much time you spend playing/practicing.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. Will make some notes in advance, but in reality I can practice at least 3 times a week at the range. My fundamentals probably need changing, but I think my main problem is inconsistency, and that comes from not really knowing what's going on in the mechanics of everything from the start of backswing to finish of shot, I think once I can break it down and know what should be where etc, that should enable me to repeat good shots.