First ever handicap. Progress.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Finally got my first ever handicap after playing for over 10 years.

Unfortunately I was in the midst of a massive slump and my swing was all over the place. But it's a starting point.

Sep 17 - 19HC.

Realistically this should tumble pretty quickly once I hopefully rid myself of the chunks from my current sway on the backswing. (Hoping I had a bit of a breakthrough with that at the weekend).

Anyway, this is just a place for me to keep track.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Louise.
It's good to finally get something to work from.
I just hope I don't get lynched if I throw in a 42+ point round in early in a comp which is very possible! Ha.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Louise.
It's good to finally get something to work from.
I just hope I don't get lynched if I throw in a 42+ point round in early in a comp which is very possible! Ha.
I think you quite often expect that to happen with new members. Or the reverse where they are useless for ages as their handicap was based on a one-off amazing round. You have the nicer version to be fair! Get an early win while you can, haha.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Finally got my first ever handicap after playing for over 10 years.

Unfortunately I was in the midst of a massive slump and my swing was all over the place. But it's a starting point.

Sep 17 - 19HC.

Realistically this should tumble pretty quickly once I hopefully rid myself of the chunks from my current sway on the backswing. (Hoping I had a bit of a breakthrough with that at the weekend).

Anyway, this is just a place for me to keep track.

TBH if you have been playing 10 years and have been given 19 i wouldn't expect miracles and a massive decrease, unless you are going to take lessons etc.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Same happened to me. Been playing about 3 years, finally joined a club a few mmonths back and was awful for my Hcap rounds. Didnt know the course, it was playing very firm and I was swinging like an idiot. Got given 19 which I was annoyed about, but 4 comps later I'm sitting at 16 after 3 cuts and 1 buffer. If you shoot lower than 19 it will tumble and find its level. Even my buffer round felt like awful golf so hoping theres a couple more to come off quickly.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Bl00dy hard to bring your best golf in competition conditions to begin with. I wouldn't expect the h/c to tumble down too quickly.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
TBH if you have been playing 10 years and have been given 19 i wouldn't expect miracles and a massive decrease, unless you are going to take lessons etc.

Hi. I have had a specific issue the last couple of months. Before that I played a lot better, so I think I have a very good chance to reduce significantly pretty rapidly.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to put a supplementary card in today.

Started treble double and ended double treble, with another treble when I went OB on a par three. So not too consistent, but ended with 39 points.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like they just processed my supplementary card. Cut to 18.1.

Have a weekend stableford this weekend I hope to play in, so will hopefully get another cut as still swinging it ok.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of a struggle today. Was the monthly medal.

Drove the ball pretty well for the first 11 holes. But was a little bit off with everything else, irons, chipping and putting. Driving went awry on back nine also which didn't help.
On my 8th I accidentally pulled a 7 iron when I was meant to pull a 9 iron and ended up 25 yards over the back, past the bushes behind the green and under trees for next hole. Oops.

Ended up with a net 1 under. So not the movement on the HC I was hoping for this weekend. But it's still progress.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No movement over winter. Have shot some good rounds outside of competition. Have done a couple of comps, usually around buffer. Was still very inconsistent day to day.

Went for a lesson at the local pro a couple of weeks ago.... I really do need to video my swing occasionally, as looks like I reverted to my hands going out on the backswing, which threw the club inside behind me.

That's all I've been concentrating on since, seems to be going well on range. Had a knock on the course on Sunday, with some additional practice hitting into greens etc as was on my own. Would guess I would have been a few under HC. Not sure when next comp is though.

Hopefully will be ok for next weekend for the Kent meet, looking forward to it. Love a links course.

Martin

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I missed the first posting of this thread.

To be given that low an initial handicap is very good in the first place. My first after 8 years of playing was 22 within a year dropped to 16 but it took another ten to get to 6.

Keep it going.