Mid-Handicap Matchplay

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah he has. He broke 90 once last year (87) but his other counting rounds are all in the 90s. Bad rounds in the low-mid 100s. When faced with a high handicapper in a match I just tell myself he's unlikely to make steady bogeys unless he plays very well so we'll just have to wait and see. Me and my mate can make pars alright, we just need to try and make them on different holes rather than the same ones. 😄

Thats just like me and my old man!

Got our next match on Monday evening against 2 players both off 8.2 Index.

Quite fancy our chances if I play like I have over the last week again. Ill get about 6 shots and the old man 7 or 8..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oh and just to throw this into the mix, our ties can be played at one of about seven courses, with top of the draw getting to choose the venue!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got two matches coming up this weekend.

Saturday - singles against a very good player who just finished second in our Club Champs gross. I'm getting 6 shots, which really doesn't feel like enough - I know he used to be off 6-ish whereas he's now on 8.6. He's obviously playing well at the moment whereas I've been playing very poorly for the best part of a month. Not wild about my chances in this one, but maybe he's overdue a bad day and I'm due a good one.

Sunday - Fourball betterball. My partner is a shade lower than me on 13.9, our opponents are off 10.6 and 25.5. Supposedly the 10.6 is a big hitter but can be wild off the tee so his scores vary a lot - he just had two poor rounds in the Club Champs. The high handicapper I know nothing about. My partner has been playing a lot better than me just lately, so this one could genuinely go either way.
Already mentioned these in Played Today but I'll give the full tail of the tape here for all you matchplay pervs. If you've only got time for one of them, skip this post to Sunday below, because it was a much, much, MUCH better match.

Saturday
1st (par 3): He tees off first and it's just short of the green, stays perched above a bunker. I thought how the hell has that stayed there? Then I did exactly the same thing. Never seen it happen once before, let alone twice. We both fired our chips through the green due to the lie, but he was able to get up and down from the back for bogey and I wasn't. 1 down.
2nd (p4): I just had a mare here. Turned my drive right into the ditch. Took a drop and hooked the next miles left of the green - almost impossible pitch through trees, hit a branch and found the bunker. He was on the green in two so I just told him to pick it up. 2 down.
3rd (p3): Both hit the green, it's one of the most difficult greens on the course though - a fourball in front was letting us play through at the time, you could say we rushed a little and both three-putted for a half.
4th (p4): This was my first shot hole. We were both through the green for two, he chipped first and went off the other side, so this was a golden opportunity for me. Which I completely wasted. A poor chip and a three-putt (trademark for me lately) means a double and I gifted him the half. Straight away I knew how important that was, this guy wasn't likely to give me many more chances.
5th (p4) & 6th (p3): He punished me for wasting the 4th by going birdie, par on these two while I did not, so I'm now 4 down after 6.
7th (p4) & 8th (p5): Two shot holes in a row for me here - and two more shot holes wasted. I take 6s on both, he makes 5s on both so I remain 4 down.
9th (p5): I'm hacking it round now and he makes a par. 5 down at the turn.
10th (p3): I hit my first decent tee shot in a while and I'm about 8-10 foot while he's down the back of the green. Sadly I miss the birdie putt by an inch and it's halved in pars.
11th (p4): I'm getting a shot here and I make a reasonably decent bogey. He hits a worldy pitch from 40 odd yards to about 6 inches to save par and the half.
12th (p4): Hardest hole on the course, I'm getting a shot here as well. I play it alright and make bogey, but he sinks a 15 foot big right-to-left sweeping putt for an unreal birdie and I go 6 down with 6 to play.
13th (p4): I played this nicely and made a par - ironically I have played well on the back nine, just a shame I was already 5 down by then. He also make a par, predictably enough, so it's game over. A crushing 6 & 5 defeat.

On the one hand, I know I played very poorly on the front nine, but when I looked at his score I realised he was only 2 over par after 13 holes - off 8.6. So I didn't beat myself up too much. He's a very good player who's been as low as 6 not too ago, and he just hits it so straight it's unbelievable. Other than the chance I wasted on 4 I don't think he gave me a sniff really. I didn't win a single hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sunday
I'm not sure why but I just had a feeling I was going to play better today. A lot more confident than Saturday, I think the Betterball format just relaxed me into kind of forgetting about my score and just try and contribute a few pars. As above the handicaps are 14.5 and 13.9 for my team, and opponents 10.6 and 25.5. So I get 4 shots off the lowest guy, my partner gets 3 shots, and 25.5 gets 13 shots.

1st (p3): Feeling weirdly confident as I said, I'm the only one who hits the green here with a beauty of a 5 wood, and I make par with a comfortable two putts. 25.5 was well short off the tee but pitches on and two putts for a half since he has a shot.
2nd (p4): My partner made an excellent birdie which our opponents had no answer for, so we go 1 up.
3rd (p3): Unusually, we all make the green or thereabouts, but me and my partner are both above the hole while our opponents are both below so they have much easier putts. Neither of us makes par and one of them does so back to all square.
4th (p4): I'm getting a shot here, but this time I exorcise the demons of yesterday by making a great par to win the hole for us. I've actually hit all of the first four greens in reg at this point. 1 up.
5th (p4): This hole was a bit of a joke. There was strong wind coming in left to right, and this hole is out of bounds all down the right so it's not what you want. I hit first, slight fade and it's just gone - Oscar Bravo. My mate's goes right as well but we think it's just stayed in. 10.6 steps up and carves his one out of bounds as well. 25.5 aims so far left it's unreal and effectively pulls it through the wind, hits a tree and ends up just behind the 4th green we just played. Fantastically, my mate's ball is down the bank but in play and somehow he ends up making a great par, winning the hole for us! We're dovetailing very well and that puts us 2 up.
6th (p3): Me and 10.6 both hit the green and make pretty routine pars - although I had a very difficult putt going downhill that I was very happy to leave in gimme range.
7th (p4): Stroke Index 2 so three of us getting a shot here - all three make bogeys for a half.
8th (p5): The wind is playing havoc again here but me and partner have learned our lesson and aim miles left to hit good drives. I hit a decent second shot to leave 120-ish yards in, but on a rock hard lie and I thin it through the fence at the back of the green. I was absolutely fuming at this having been in prime position. My partner and 25.5 both make bogeys but he has a shot of course, so we're pegged back to 1 up.
9th (p5): I do make a routine par here, but 25.5 is waiting with a dagger for our backs. He's in a fairway bunker for 3, about 100 yards short of the green, but unbelievably he clips it out of there to the right fringe and sinks the 10 footer for par, net birdie! Despite us playing well, we're right back to all square at the turn.

10th (p3): Me and 10.6 played this identically - both hit the back left of the green leaving a long putt to the front right pin - both lagged it up to two or three feet short, but both sink them for half in pars.
11th (p4): This hole was a total farce. Once again we've got a big left to right wind. 25.5 skies his tee shot and it goes about 150 yards if that. 10.6 carves it right on the wind into the trees. I carve it right on the wind into the trees. My partner aims well left for the wind but kind of pull-draws it so it stays out there in the left trees. When we get down there, my ball is nowhere to be found, but there are two other balls in the expected area - it turns out a couple of kids playing down the 10th with their dad (presumably) have nicked my ball! We confirm this by asking and getting the ball back from them, but none of us saw it happen so we cannot say where my ball was exactly to replace it, so I'm out of the hole! Gutted but nothing we can do. 10.6 finds his but turns it right towards the thorn bush that runs down there. My partner hits a tree with his second, then slices his third into said thornbush, so I tell him to hit a provisional, this time he's just off the back of the green. 25.5 goes left rough with his 2nd shot, and hits this third also into the aforementioned thornbush. 10.6 can't find his and gives up. Can't find my partner's so he's back of the green for 5 shots. 25.5 does find his though, takes an unplayable drop and pitches it through the green, also for 5, but he has a shot on this hole. My mate chips it up just past the hole, but 25.5 has another knife in the back for us as he bloody holes the chip from the greenside rough for an unlikely 6. Unreal. We are now one down and I'm still fuming about my ball being stolen.
12th (p4): S.I.1 so three of us getting shots. I play it well, I'm just right of the green for two, and roll it up leaving myself a 2 foot par putt. I got confused and thought I needed the par to win the hole, so I miss it by an inch right and I'm gutted - but then I'm told that 25.5 only made a 6 and since we both get shots, my tap-in bogey does in fact win the hole for us. Bit of confusion but we are back to all square.
13th (p4): My partner hits an absolutely huge drive and only has a pitch for his second shot. He makes par, as does 10.6, so it's a half.
14th (p3): This is the new par 3 that was only finished a month or so ago, so I think people are still feeling it out as to what club to hit etc. The wind is up as well. Consequently we all miss the green. Me and my partner both manage to chip onto the green and make two-putt bogeys, but our opponents don't fare so well, they can only put down a double between them so we're back in front - 1 up.
15th (p3): This is long par 3 - around 215 yards and uphill. I practically never hit the green... but I bloody did this time! My partner and 10.6 go well right, which is the normal miss. 25.5, to our shock, also hits a cracking drive which we think is on the green, but when we get up there he's just through the back. He gets a shot here, but luckily I've got the uphill putt and his is like lightning coming down the slope. I lag mine up for par, he predictably fires it down the slope to where my ball was and lags it back up for net par. A strong half.
16th (p4): Stroke 3 so three of us getting a shot here, which comes at a good time for us of course. It's into the wind so nobody reaches the green in two. I pitch on and make a two-putt par. 25.5 almost does the same but three-putts, so that puts us 2 up with 2 to play! Come on.
17th (p4): I hit a poor second shot, a weak fade short of the green and having to chip up over a bank - knife this to the far side but a nice roll back up and hole the two-or-three-footer for a bogey. 25.5 also makes a bogey though - net par - so they pegged us back to 1 up and we're going down the last.
18th (p4): I choose this point to hit probably my worst drive of the day, it's so far right it clears the trees completely and is next to the first teebox. My partner hits another massive drive, but he's also gone a bit right. 10.6 finds the bunker with his second - he's really not played well to be fair to him. I punch through the trees, my partner leaves his wedge shot short, and I dunno what 25.5 did but we're all in roughly the same spot chipping up the bank for our third. I leave the chip well short and hammer the putt well long, so I've buggered it up. 25.5 chips long. My partner chips to the middle of green and lags it up to make a bogey. 25.5 hasn't made the par putt from the back fringe - and he's not getting a shot this time - so that's it. Game over. We won it 1 up!

I really enjoyed the match and it was close all the way through. 10.6 on their team was already known to be out of form and didn't have his best day - but I've also been out of form and I'm delighted to say I really turned up for this one. Played better than I have in a couple of months. 25.5 had a great game for them and was really using his shots well to routinely keep pegging us back. My partner didn't play quite as well as he has been lately, but he was instrumental on the front nine winning a couple of holes for us. Onto the next round!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sunday
I'm not sure why but I just had a feeling I was going to play better today. A lot more confident than Saturday, I think the Betterball format just relaxed me into kind of forgetting about my score and just try and contribute a few pars. As above the handicaps are 14.5 and 13.9 for my team, and opponents 10.6 and 25.5. So I get 4 shots off the lowest guy, my partner gets 3 shots, and 25.5 gets 13 shots.

1st (p3): Feeling weirdly confident as I said, I'm the only one who hits the green here with a beauty of a 5 wood, and I make par with a comfortable two putts. 25.5 was well short off the tee but pitches on and two putts for a half since he has a shot.
2nd (p4): My partner made an excellent birdie which our opponents had no answer for, so we go 1 up.
3rd (p3): Unusually, we all make the green or thereabouts, but me and my partner are both above the hole while our opponents are both below so they have much easier putts. Neither of us makes par and one of them does so back to all square.
4th (p4): I'm getting a shot here, but this time I exorcise the demons of yesterday by making a great par to win the hole for us. I've actually hit all of the first four greens in reg at this point. 1 up.
5th (p4): This hole was a bit of a joke. There was strong wind coming in left to right, and this hole is out of bounds all down the right so it's not what you want. I hit first, slight fade and it's just gone - Oscar Bravo. My mate's goes right as well but we think it's just stayed in. 10.6 steps up and carves his one out of bounds as well. 25.5 aims so far left it's unreal and effectively pulls it through the wind, hits a tree and ends up just behind the 4th green we just played. Fantastically, my mate's ball is down the bank but in play and somehow he ends up making a great par, winning the hole for us! We're dovetailing very well and that puts us 2 up.
6th (p3): Me and 10.6 both hit the green and make pretty routine pars - although I had a very difficult putt going downhill that I was very happy to leave in gimme range.
7th (p4): Stroke Index 2 so three of us getting a shot here - all three make bogeys for a half.
8th (p5): The wind is playing havoc again here but me and partner have learned our lesson and aim miles left to hit good drives. I hit a decent second shot to leave 120-ish yards in, but on a rock hard lie and I thin it through the fence at the back of the green. I was absolutely fuming at this having been in prime position. My partner and 25.5 both make bogeys but he has a shot of course, so we're pegged back to 1 up.
9th (p5): I do make a routine par here, but 25.5 is waiting with a dagger for our backs. He's in a fairway bunker for 3, about 100 yards short of the green, but unbelievably he clips it out of there to the right fringe and sinks the 10 footer for par, net birdie! Despite us playing well, we're right back to all square at the turn.

10th (p3): Me and 10.6 played this identically - both hit the back left of the green leaving a long putt to the front right pin - both lagged it up to two or three feet short, but both sink them for half in pars.
11th (p4): This hole was a total farce. Once again we've got a big left to right wind. 25.5 skies his tee shot and it goes about 150 yards if that. 10.6 carves it right on the wind into the trees. I carve it right on the wind into the trees. My partner aims well left for the wind but kind of pull-draws it so it stays out there in the left trees. When we get down there, my ball is nowhere to be found, but there are two other balls in the expected area - it turns out a couple of kids playing down the 10th with their dad (presumably) have nicked my ball! We confirm this by asking and getting the ball back from them, but none of us saw it happen so we cannot say where my ball was exactly to replace it, so I'm out of the hole! Gutted but nothing we can do. 10.6 finds his but turns it right towards the thorn bush that runs down there. My partner hits a tree with his second, then slices his third into said thornbush, so I tell him to hit a provisional, this time he's just off the back of the green. 25.5 goes left rough with his 2nd shot, and hits this third also into the aforementioned thornbush. 10.6 can't find his and gives up. Can't find my partner's so he's back of the green for 5 shots. 25.5 does find his though, takes an unplayable drop and pitches it through the green, also for 5, but he has a shot on this hole. My mate chips it up just past the hole, but 25.5 has another knife in the back for us as he bloody holes the chip from the greenside rough for an unlikely 6. Unreal. We are now one down and I'm still fuming about my ball being stolen.
12th (p4): S.I.1 so three of us getting shots. I play it well, I'm just right of the green for two, and roll it up leaving myself a 2 foot par putt. I got confused and thought I needed the par to win the hole, so I miss it by an inch right and I'm gutted - but then I'm told that 25.5 only made a 6 and since we both get shots, my tap-in bogey does in fact win the hole for us. Bit of confusion but we are back to all square.
13th (p4): My partner hits an absolutely huge drive and only has a pitch for his second shot. He makes par, as does 10.6, so it's a half.
14th (p3): This is the new par 3 that was only finished a month or so ago, so I think people are still feeling it out as to what club to hit etc. The wind is up as well. Consequently we all miss the green. Me and my partner both manage to chip onto the green and make two-putt bogeys, but our opponents don't fare so well, they can only put down a double between them so we're back in front - 1 up.
15th (p3): This is long par 3 - around 215 yards and uphill. I practically never hit the green... but I bloody did this time! My partner and 10.6 go well right, which is the normal miss. 25.5, to our shock, also hits a cracking drive which we think is on the green, but when we get up there he's just through the back. He gets a shot here, but luckily I've got the uphill putt and his is like lightning coming down the slope. I lag mine up for par, he predictably fires it down the slope to where my ball was and lags it back up for net par. A strong half.
16th (p4): Stroke 3 so three of us getting a shot here, which comes at a good time for us of course. It's into the wind so nobody reaches the green in two. I pitch on and make a two-putt par. 25.5 almost does the same but three-putts, so that puts us 2 up with 2 to play! Come on.
17th (p4): I hit a poor second shot, a weak fade short of the green and having to chip up over a bank - knife this to the far side but a nice roll back up and hole the two-or-three-footer for a bogey. 25.5 also makes a bogey though - net par - so they pegged us back to 1 up and we're going down the last.
18th (p4): I choose this point to hit probably my worst drive of the day, it's so far right it clears the trees completely and is next to the first teebox. My partner hits another massive drive, but he's also gone a bit right. 10.6 finds the bunker with his second - he's really not played well to be fair to him. I punch through the trees, my partner leaves his wedge shot short, and I dunno what 25.5 did but we're all in roughly the same spot chipping up the bank for our third. I leave the chip well short and hammer the putt well long, so I've buggered it up. 25.5 chips long. My partner chips to the middle of green and lags it up to make a bogey. 25.5 hasn't made the par putt from the back fringe - and he's not getting a shot this time - so that's it. Game over. We won it 1 up!

I really enjoyed the match and it was close all the way through. 10.6 on their team was already known to be out of form and didn't have his best day - but I've also been out of form and I'm delighted to say I really turned up for this one. Played better than I have in a couple of months. 25.5 had a great game for them and was really using his shots well to routinely keep pegging us back. My partner didn't play quite as well as he has been lately, but he was instrumental on the front nine winning a couple of holes for us. Onto the next round!
Out of interest you have quoted the HIs all through…why not the PHs as that is perhaps more informative given you are all playing the same course. Just wondering.

Nice report on a match with all its ups, downs and machinations.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest you have quoted the HIs all through…why not the PHs as that is perhaps more informative given you are all playing the same course. Just wondering.

Nice report on a match with all its ups, downs and machinations.
Because I didn't want to say their names and couldn't be arsed coming up with pseudonyms. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So my only remaining matchplay comp of the year is the Doubles - partnered with my dad - and we played round 3 last night.

Opponents were actually one of my mates and another chap who both play off 8.2 index which after gaining CH and then 90% actually had them both off 8.

My PH was 14 (14.1 HI - up to 15 - down to 13.5/ 14PH) and my dads PH was 15.

So, 6 and 7 shots respectively, our opponents off the exact same handicaps and therefore scratch for the pair of them.

The first 3 holes are pretty easy at Raven, as many of us say, the real golf starts after these. Our thought process was we would have to get through the first 3 in good shape for us to stand a chance at a win against 2 solid players.

On to the match:

1) SI 9 - After winning the coin toss, our opponents chose to tee first, and boy did they both hit some solid drives. Only a 335 yard par 4 to start but as it dog legs right, you can gain some great distance with good bounces and a fade. One of them (lets call him A) was 30 yards short of the green, the other (B) approx 70. I also found the fairway but was around 85 yards in and my old man around 120. Dad hits the green with his approach but rolled right through and off the back. I hit my approach short, made the green but a good 25+ feet from the hole, B hits one to around 15 feet and A thins his very short chip over the back onto greenside fringe. Dad chips on and leaves himself 10 feet (ish) A then proceeds to chip in from off the green for 3. GUTTED. I now need to sink my 25+ foot putt - which I didn't.. So team AB go one up.

2) SI 17 Par 4 287 yards. A creams a drive to greenside left, barnstormer. B hits fadey slice but keeps it in play down the right hand side, somehow skipping through and over a bunker (the luck of it). Normally I play this one a safe 200 and then try to place a short chip for a birdie chance but we didnt have much choice other than to both hit driver. So long story short, we both hit slicey shots into trees with no angles at the green.. oh dear.. I manage to hack out, chip close and sink a par putt. However A also chipped close from greenside and sunk his second birdie in 2 holes. AB 2 up.

3) SI 15 par 3 140 yards (into wind) - now on this tee box our opponents were giving each other those looks when you know they're feeling themselves. Thinking they were barry big balls for going 2 under through 2 and being 2 up. Player B tees first and honestly its getting laughable as he sticks it to approx 4 foot... A goes long over the back. I hit the front left bunker, and dad goes wild left. I then proceed to air mail the green from the bunker and dad chips to around 5 foot. Again, long story short dad misses the putt for par so we give them the hole as the 4 foot putt for 2 shots was an easy win. AB 3 up through 3. Going well for us :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

4) SI 3 par 4 log leg left SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - Player B hits hybrid very solid but hits a fairway bunker on the bend of the dog leg, slightly out of sight from the tee. Player A being the longer of the 2 now thinking hes captain big man attempts the 250 yard carry over the bend to the fairway and fails miserably. Both me and dad hit fades, mine into the right rough but safe from the OB right, and dad slightly straighter and actually off the end of the fairway into the semi. I hit a hybrid just short of the green to the right, dad hits his 7 wood onto the green but rolls out the back slightly. Player A is out of the hole. Player B plays his bunker shot but remains short of the green. He then chips on to the top tier of the green but a long distance away. I chip to a similar distance - then dad putts from off the green to around 3 foot. B misses his putt - sent it long and down the hill to tier 1- they concede the hole. Win for the Dillon boys! AB 2 up.

5) SI 13 par 3 161 yards - I hit my tee shot pin high but off to the right. All other players hit the green. I chip to 1 foot and sink the par. All other players take 2 putts for par's and the hole is halved. AB 2 up.

6) SI 7 Par 5 500 yards DAD GETS A SHOT - I hit the fairway, dad follows me almost like for like. Opponents both go left, which is long grass - A is inches from OB but safe. However he has to hack out and then plays a shot up the hole. B hits a solid one but goes from rough to rough. I top my hybrid - class... Dad yet again creams his 7 wood to around 80 yards - maybe the best I've ever seen him hit the thing. I hit one up to just short of dad then play a shot too long over the green. B just about makes the green for 3, cm's from the front fringe but a good 15 foot putt to go. Dad sticks it to 1 foot from 80 yards and they concede the hole as his 4 - net 3 was unbeatable. GO ON OLD MAN AB 1 up.

7) SI 1 374 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - A good 190 yard carry to get over a brook the runs across the whole fairway, Long right is thick woodland, long left is a big pond. Dad lays up to just before the brook giving me free reign to go for it. I hit one straught down the middle, over the brook and the pressure is now on them. Player A (oh he's not learned his lesson) attempts a barnstormer but hooks it wild left out of sight. Player B a bit slicey but makes it over the brook. A hits a provvy to the same place as his first (lol) and hes out of the hole. Dad his yet another solid 7 wood to greenside right, I hit mine to the front fringe. B hits a great shot to around 8 foot but plenty of break in it. I putt up to around 1 foot, B misses his 8 footer. We both sink pars and I win the hole with the shot. AS through 7. They didnt see that coming after 3!

8) SI 5 419 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - Both me and dad hit solid drives onto the fairway, yet again piling pressure on them to chase us. B hits a solid one past ours by around 10 yards. A duffs one into a stream thats around 30 yards in front of the tee. Drops in front of the stream and hits a solid 5 iron up near our drives but he's there for 3 and out of the hole. Dad creams the 7 wood again to short left. I hit a lovely 7 iron to pin high left - 12 feet. B plays a beauty of a 8 iron but goes long of the flag by 15 feet or so. Dad duffs a chip to throw the pressure my way. I putt to within 1 foot and sink the par. B misses his putt and the hole is over. TEAM DILL 1 UP!!

9) SI 11 par 4 281 yards Dog leg left - taking on the corner is protected by a huge conifer that all the members joke about taking an axe to. Well do I wish someone had.. Both me and dad hit the thing - mine we couldn't see finish but I thought it'd be okay. Dad hit a provvy to the same place. Ideal... Both A and B take irons for safety and go straight. I find my ball in the rough behind the tree but hit it long of the green. Dad couldn't find his first but did find his second. He duffs it and just picks up... both A and B hit solid shots in to the green to 10ish feet. I chip it to around the same distance for 3. We all 2 putt but they take the hole. AS through 9.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
10) SI 12 par 3 162 yards - this green is protected by a massssivvee tree on the left, you have to go over it to hit the ball near the pin or draw one around it. B hits a solid one but way too long and goes over the back. A then hits one short right. I stick mine to around 14 feet. Dad pulls his left into long grass and his ball is lost for sure. Leaving me to do the business. B chips over the green past the pin and attempts a 20 footer for par but misses by some margin. A chips to 3 feet. I just lag one up trying to be safe to around 1 foot and they give me the par. A makes his 3 footer. Hole halved. AS through 10.

11) SI 8 par 4 348 yards - Both A and B go left onto the 12th fairway but good distance. I hit fairway again (woohoo) and dad goes left too. Everyone's approaches are off a bit and we all ended up short. I chip to 8ish feet. Dad to around 15. B duffs a chip but then hits one to a few feet. A chips to around 8 feet too. Everyone makes Bogey from there and the hole is halved again. Me and dad walk away from the green happier knowing we aren't down again after 3 consecutive non- shot holes - with 3 to come. AS through 11.

12) SI 4 par 4 424 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - A goes wild right onto the 13th. B hits a nice one but way too much fade and leaves himself in very thick long grass. Both me and dad cream one down the middle past out opponents. A the plays a cracker over the back of the green from the wrong fairway. B hacks out left and then hits one short right of the green for 3. Dad hits an awesome 9 wood (yeah hes loves his woods) which runs up to the top tier and sits just off the back - but in the best position of all 3 so far. I then hit 7 iron to the greenside bunker. From there B chips on but is out of the hole really. I then look at my bunker shot - dad says "I quite fancy you on this one" out loud for all to hear. Well, mans a genius. I play the best bunker shot of my life, popped it up, little dribble and down she goes for 3. Suck of them apples. TEAM DILL 1 up.

13) SI 10 par 4 353 yards - Yet again, me and dad hit crackers down the middle. Done it all day (bar on 2). Pressure on the other boys now. B hits a beauty, 40 yards past us but in left semi rough. A is wild as always and slices it into thick long grass on the right. He hacks out of this and plays his approach long of the pin to 20ish feet. Both me and dad hit ours short of the green but safe. B hits a very slicey iron which hits the green but flies off to the right. I then chip to around 10 feet. Dad the same. B duffs a chip (then slams his wedge into the ground in frustration). A 2 putts and so do me and dad. Halved in Bogeys. TEAM DILL STILL 1 UP.

14) SI 18 par 3 159 yards - Striking my irons well I hit a lovely 8 iron onto the green to around 15 feet, dad misses right. B also misses right. A then hits a lovely iron about a foot closer than mine on the same line. Both my dad and B have to hit chips over a bunker to a tight pin, both play it too long and so its a putt off between me and A. I lag one up to around 1 foot and a half and A gives me it for 3... Silly man, Id never have given it but i gladly picked it up! He then hits his to within a foot but not enough for the hole. Halved in pars. TEAM DILL STILL 1 UP!

15) SI 2 par 4 332 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - A very tight hole. OB right and all sorts of trouble left. I normally just hit a 3 wood for safety but me and dad decide he plays the safe one and if hit well I go for a normal drive. Well he hit it right but safe, so I follow that up with yet another one straight down the middle. Bosh. Have it.... Both A and B do something weird here. They're 1 down and we get a shot on a short hole - yet both hit shorter clubs to be sensible. Their choice but after b hit the middle of the fairway I'd have had A trying to send one down there... Anyway - they both played great shots but not long of my drive. Dad hits his second to short left of a 2 tier green. Pin on the top right protected by a bunker. A just clears the bunker and is greenside in 2 near the flag. B hits his long of the green. I play mine just short. I then putt up the hill to 8ish feet. Dad then sticks his putt to within a few inches piling the pressure on one of them to hole theirs for a bird to half the hole. They both miss and dad takes the hole for us 4/3. TEAM DILL 2 UP!!

16) SI 14 par 3 151 yards - dad goes first and lands short of the green. I Hit the green pin high right around 18 feet. A goes wild left and actually looses his ball. B goes right but still finds the green around 30 foot out. Dad plays a chip to around 6 foot. B narrowly misses the 30 footer but leaves inches and so we give him the par. Dad then sinks his par to give me a chance at winning with my putt. Annoyingly I leave it short by a foot and we half the hole. TEAM DILL 2 UP with 2 to play.

17) SI 6 par 5 490 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - Now or never. Both me and dad hit drives right into the rough. B follows us and A goes wild left again into trees. Dad hits a large conifer on the right and kills his chances of a good score. I play a safe 7 iron a tad left but okay. B creams a hybrid down the middle to around 20 yards short of the green. Cracking shot to be fair. I hit another 7 iron to around 20 yards but into long grass. God, we don't want to go down the last! A struggled to get out of the trees btw so it was me vs B. B hits a lovely chip to around 6 foot for 3. I know I need to get down in 2 here. Pull my 56 degree and just think hit green. Well I did. Left myself a testing 8 footer down the hill with plenty of break though.

I stand over the putt knowing its over if I make it. Me and the old man have won matches on the 17th in every match we have played. Something about it that gets us going. I pick my line, commit to the putt and she drops in.. B picks up his ball, the match is over and TEAM DILL TAKE THE W.

Onto the quarter finals we go. What a night of golf with my old man. Scenes you love to see.

Made all the better after coming back from 3 down through 3 and wiping those smug grins off their faces, we remained humble throughout.

Celebrated with a well deserved pint afterwards with the old man too.

Also if you read this far - kudos to you...

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
10) SI 12 par 3 162 yards - this green is protected by a massssivvee tree on the left, you have to go over it to hit the ball near the pin or draw one around it. B hits a solid one but way too long and goes over the back. A then hits one short right. I stick mine to around 14 feet. Dad pulls his left into long grass and his ball is lost for sure. Leaving me to do the business. B chips over the green past the pin and attempts a 20 footer for par but misses by some margin. A chips to 3 feet. I just lag one up trying to be safe to around 1 foot and they give me the par. A makes his 3 footer. Hole halved. AS through 10.

11) SI 8 par 4 348 yards - Both A and B go left onto the 12th fairway but good distance. I hit fairway again (woohoo) and dad goes left too. Everyone's approaches are off a bit and we all ended up short. I chip to 8ish feet. Dad to around 15. B duffs a chip but then hits one to a few feet. A chips to around 8 feet too. Everyone makes Bogey from there and the hole is halved again. Me and dad walk away from the green happier knowing we aren't down again after 3 consecutive non- shot holes - with 3 to come. AS through 11.

12) SI 4 par 4 424 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - A goes wild right onto the 13th. B hits a nice one but way too much fade and leaves himself in very thick long grass. Both me and dad cream one down the middle past out opponents. A the plays a cracker over the back of the green from the wrong fairway. B hacks out left and then hits one short right of the green for 3. Dad hits an awesome 9 wood (yeah hes loves his woods) which runs up to the top tier and sits just off the back - but in the best position of all 3 so far. I then hit 7 iron to the greenside bunker. From there B chips on but is out of the hole really. I then look at my bunker shot - dad says "I quite fancy you on this one" out loud for all to hear. Well, mans a genius. I play the best bunker shot of my life, popped it up, little dribble and down she goes for 3. Suck of them apples. TEAM DILL 1 up.

13) SI 10 par 4 353 yards - Yet again, me and dad hit crackers down the middle. Done it all day (bar on 2). Pressure on the other boys now. B hits a beauty, 40 yards past us but in left semi rough. A is wild as always and slices it into thick long grass on the right. He hacks out of this and plays his approach long of the pin to 20ish feet. Both me and dad hit ours short of the green but safe. B hits a very slicey iron which hits the green but flies off to the right. I then chip to around 10 feet. Dad the same. B duffs a chip (then slams his wedge into the ground in frustration). A 2 putts and so do me and dad. Halved in Bogeys. TEAM DILL STILL 1 UP.

14) SI 18 par 3 159 yards - Striking my irons well I hit a lovely 8 iron onto the green to around 15 feet, dad misses right. B also misses right. A then hits a lovely iron about a foot closer than mine on the same line. Both my dad and B have to hit chips over a bunker to a tight pin, both play it too long and so its a putt off between me and A. I lag one up to around 1 foot and a half and A gives me it for 3... Silly man, Id never have given it but i gladly picked it up! He then hits his to within a foot but not enough for the hole. Halved in pars. TEAM DILL STILL 1 UP!

15) SI 2 par 4 332 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - A very tight hole. OB right and all sorts of trouble left. I normally just hit a 3 wood for safety but me and dad decide he plays the safe one and if hit well I go for a normal drive. Well he hit it right but safe, so I follow that up with yet another one straight down the middle. Bosh. Have it.... Both A and B do something weird here. They're 1 down and we get a shot on a short hole - yet both hit shorter clubs to be sensible. Their choice but after b hit the middle of the fairway I'd have had A trying to send one down there... Anyway - they both played great shots but not long of my drive. Dad hits his second to short left of a 2 tier green. Pin on the top right protected by a bunker. A just clears the bunker and is greenside in 2 near the flag. B hits his long of the green. I play mine just short. I then putt up the hill to 8ish feet. Dad then sticks his putt to within a few inches piling the pressure on one of them to hole theirs for a bird to half the hole. They both miss and dad takes the hole for us 4/3. TEAM DILL 2 UP!!

16) SI 14 par 3 151 yards - dad goes first and lands short of the green. I Hit the green pin high right around 18 feet. A goes wild left and actually looses his ball. B goes right but still finds the green around 30 foot out. Dad plays a chip to around 6 foot. B narrowly misses the 30 footer but leaves inches and so we give him the par. Dad then sinks his par to give me a chance at winning with my putt. Annoyingly I leave it short by a foot and we half the hole. TEAM DILL 2 UP with 2 to play.

17) SI 6 par 5 490 yards SHOT HOLE FOR BOTH OF US - Now or never. Both me and dad hit drives right into the rough. B follows us and A goes wild left again into trees. Dad hits a large conifer on the right and kills his chances of a good score. I play a safe 7 iron a tad left but okay. B creams a hybrid down the middle to around 20 yards short of the green. Cracking shot to be fair. I hit another 7 iron to around 20 yards but into long grass. God, we don't want to go down the last! A struggled to get out of the trees btw so it was me vs B. B hits a lovely chip to around 6 foot for 3. I know I need to get down in 2 here. Pull my 56 degree and just think hit green. Well I did. Left myself a testing 8 footer down the hill with plenty of break though.

I stand over the putt knowing its over if I make it. Me and the old man have won matches on the 17th in every match we have played. Something about it that gets us going. I pick my line, commit to the putt and she drops in.. B picks up his ball, the match is over and TEAM DILL TAKE THE W.

Onto the quarter finals we go. What a night of golf with my old man. Scenes you love to see.

Made all the better after coming back from 3 down through 3 and wiping those smug grins off their faces, we remained humble throughout.

Celebrated with a well deserved pint afterwards with the old man too.

Also if you read this far - kudos to you...
Enjoyed reading that well done on the win, think I’m coming down to play your course some nice short par 4s just right for a old bugger like me😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes quarter final this morning - where my partner (GS) is the club captain. We're giving 8 shots to our opponents GG (male) and JL (female).

1st (p3): GS is teeing off for us and hits the heart of the green while JL finds the bunker. I lag the putt up, about four feet short in fairness but GS makes no mistake and rolls it in for par. 1 up.

2nd (p4):
I'm teeing off, my drive misses the overhanging tree on the left by mere inches but fades back perfectly to find the fairway. GG hooks it left. GS finds the back of the green, it's a fast one down and I get the line a bit wrong, but GS rolls it up for a tap-in bogey. They've not recovered well enough from the trees to match that so we're 2 up.

3rd (p3):
GS just off the back of the green for us while JL tops it into the ditch - GG decides to re-tee. We get down for bogey but they can't match that with three off the tee. 3 up.

4th (p4):
First shot hole for them. I hit a great drive but just left rough. GG hits it just right rough. GS hits it just short right of the green for us, opponents end up in a similar spot but for one shot more. I played a nice chip and run that ends up four feet short and GS sinks it again for par. Opponents failed to get up and down from there so we've won their shot hole. 4 up.

5th (p4):
Second shot hole. The ladies both hit good drives but GS is a longer hitter than JL, so GG goes first and pulls it left of the green. I hit a good pitch but it takes an awkward bounce and goes just off the right edge. GS plays an excellent chip that gives me a two foot downhill knee-knocker but I sink it for par. JL on the other hand knifed it across the green and they didn't get up and down from there either so we go 5 up.

6th (p3):
This was fun. I hit a wonderful shot to about four feet to put the pressure on GG. It's fair to say he doesn't respond well, as he shanks it out of bounds and awards us the hole. 6 up.

7th (p4):
Third shot hole. I hit a woeful sliced hybrid with our second shot which gave them an opening. Both sides make a bogey so our opponents have finally got themselves on the board by winning a hole. 5 up.

8th & 9th (both p5):
On the 8th they have a shot and make a 7 nett 6 to our 6 for half. 9th is also halved in bogeys as I miss a two foot that would have putt us back to 6 up. 5 up at the turn.

10th (p3):
After a great front nine we're about to have a bit of a wobble. I hit a good strike off the tee with 7 wood but just overfade it slightly to find the bunker. GS's attempt to get out hits the bank and gets out of the bunker but by bouncing backwards rather than on the green. I played what I thought was a good chip, but as it's a cheeky front pin the ball rolls back off the front! Their putt from the back of the green also rolls off the front. Farcical. Long story short I end up missing a three-footer for double bogey and we lose the hole. 4 up.

11th (p4):
Shot hole. My partner tops her drive so I'm in rough short of the fairway. Tried to just fly one down with hybrid, but there's something wrong with me and hybrid at the moment because I slice it again. GS tries to punch it though a crowd of trees but it hits one and flies further right. We just give them the hole and return to 3 up. Need to avoid the bottle job here...

12th (p4): Shot hole for them. After a long wait for the group in front to vacate the fairway, GG tees off and hits an almighty hook. That really calmed the nerves for me and I was able to a nice leisurely swing perfectly up the middle of the fairway. We have to play it as a three-shotter due to the length and ditches, but we get down in 5. They recovered fairly well from the drive and make a 6 net 5 for half. We're fine with that on the hardest hole.

13th (p4): JL tops her drive into the cabbage so they go three off the tee. GS didn't hit her best drive but it's ok on the right side of the fairway. I hit a pretty awful slice with 8 iron but it's bad enough that it misses the bunkers and gives GS a line to chip in between them. She plays a fantastic shot to about two feet, and our opponents concede the hole given that they'd be lucky to make six. 4 up.

14th (p3):
Given how I've faded everything on the last few holes (it happens more when I'm tired), I aim left of the green and of course hit it dead straight into the trees down there. Left is the better miss though so I'm not too angry about it. GG makes another mess of a par 3 and duffs his into the cabbage on the right. They get near the green in three while GS chips on for two for us. I hit a lovely lag putt to about 6 inches and they have no choice but to give us the hole, and the match. A 5 & 4 victory!

We kind of did all the hard work by coming out of the blocks on flames in those first six holes, after that it was just about not crumbling and letting them back in. Two shocking holes for us on 10 & 11 but we came through that well to see the match out. Delighted with that, two rounds won on the 15th and 14th holes, and we're into the semi-finals!

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Mixed foursomes quarter final this morning - where my partner (GS) is the club captain. We're giving 8 shots to our opponents GG (male) and JL (female).

1st (p3): GS is teeing off for us and hits the heart of the green while JL finds the bunker. I lag the putt up, about four feet short in fairness but GS makes no mistake and rolls it in for par. 1 up.

2nd (p4):
I'm teeing off, my drive misses the overhanging tree on the left by mere inches but fades back perfectly to find the fairway. GG hooks it left. GS finds the back of the green, it's a fast one down and I get the line a bit wrong, but GS rolls it up for a tap-in bogey. They've not recovered well enough from the trees to match that so we're 2 up.

3rd (p3):
GS just off the back of the green for us while JL tops it into the ditch - GG decides to re-tee. We get down for bogey but they can't match that with three off the tee. 3 up.

4th (p4):
First shot hole for them. I hit a great drive but just left rough. GG hits it just right rough. GS hits it just short right of the green for us, opponents end up in a similar spot but for one shot more. I played a nice chip and run that ends up four feet short and GS sinks it again for par. Opponents failed to get up and down from there so we've won their shot hole. 4 up.

5th (p4):
Second shot hole. The ladies both hit good drives but GS is a longer hitter than JL, so GG goes first and pulls it left of the green. I hit a good pitch but it takes an awkward bounce and goes just off the right edge. GS plays an excellent chip that gives me a two foot downhill knee-knocker but I sink it for par. JL on the other hand knifed it across the green and they didn't get up and down from there either so we go 5 up.

6th (p3):
This was fun. I hit a wonderful shot to about four feet to put the pressure on GG. It's fair to say he doesn't respond well, as he shanks it out of bounds and awards us the hole. 6 up.

7th (p4):
Third shot hole. I hit a woeful sliced hybrid with our second shot which gave them an opening. Both sides make a bogey so our opponents have finally got themselves on the board by winning a hole. 5 up.

8th & 9th (both p5):
On the 8th they have a shot and make a 7 nett 6 to our 6 for half. 9th is also halved in bogeys as I miss a two foot that would have putt us back to 6 up. 5 up at the turn.

10th (p3):
After a great front nine we're about to have a bit of a wobble. I hit a good strike off the tee with 7 wood but just overfade it slightly to find the bunker. GS's attempt to get out hits the bank and gets out of the bunker but by bouncing backwards rather than on the green. I played what I thought was a good chip, but as it's a cheeky front pin the ball rolls back off the front! Their putt from the back of the green also rolls off the front. Farcical. Long story short I end up missing a three-footer for double bogey and we lose the hole. 4 up.

11th (p4):
Shot hole. My partner tops her drive so I'm in rough short of the fairway. Tried to just fly one down with hybrid, but there's something wrong with me and hybrid at the moment because I slice it again. GS tries to punch it though a crowd of trees but it hits one and flies further right. We just give them the hole and return to 3 up. Need to avoid the bottle job here...

12th (p4): Shot hole for them. After a long wait for the group in front to vacate the fairway, GG tees off and hits an almighty hook. That really calmed the nerves for me and I was able to a nice leisurely swing perfectly up the middle of the fairway. We have to play it as a three-shotter due to the length and ditches, but we get down in 5. They recovered fairly well from the drive and make a 6 net 5 for half. We're fine with that on the hardest hole.

13th (p4): JL tops her drive into the cabbage so they go three off the tee. GS didn't hit her best drive but it's ok on the right side of the fairway. I hit a pretty awful slice with 8 iron but it's bad enough that it misses the bunkers and gives GS a line to chip in between them. She plays a fantastic shot to about two feet, and our opponents concede the hole given that they'd be lucky to make six. 4 up.

14th (p3):
Given how I've faded everything on the last few holes (it happens more when I'm tired), I aim left of the green and of course hit it dead straight into the trees down there. Left is the better miss though so I'm not too angry about it. GG makes another mess of a par 3 and duffs his into the cabbage on the right. They get near the green in three while GS chips on for two for us. I hit a lovely lag putt to about 6 inches and they have no choice but to give us the hole, and the match. A 5 & 4 victory!

We kind of did all the hard work by coming out of the blocks on flames in those first six holes, after that it was just about not crumbling and letting them back in. Two shocking holes for us on 10 & 11 but we came through that well to see the match out. Delighted with that, two rounds won on the 15th and 14th holes, and we're into the semi-finals!

Well done mate! Great write up too

sunshine

Visit site
6th (p3): This was fun. I hit a wonderful shot to about four feet to put the pressure on GG. It's fair to say he doesn't respond well, as he shanks it out of bounds and awards us the hole. 6 up.

I never understand why people give up on this. If it was me I would hit 3 off the tee, I might stick it close and put pressure on you, I might even hole it for par! Got to have belief!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never understand why people give up on this. If it was me I would hit 3 off the tee, I might stick it close and put pressure on you, I might even hole it for par! Got to have belief!
I dunno.. we were pretty much guaranteed a par as we had an uphill 4-foot putt. Plus, and not being sexist here, but as his female partner would have had to take the re-tee, it would have been harder for her to get near the pin as she'd be hitting more of a mid-iron rather than a wedge I should think. And being 5 down after 5 probably didn't help his positive mental attitude. I'm with you, we probably would have hit another, it's not over until the ball's in the hole and all that - but I get why they didn't bother. :LOL:

It was also better for comedy value, most importantly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next round of the four-ball comp with my pal Ben (13.1). Up against JC (14.8) and CP (15.9), so the only shots were three of us getting one on the S.I.1 12th.

1st (p3): I hit first and knock a 5 wood just off the back of the green. I usually go 5 wood if it's first shot of the day, and the back is much better than being short or right. Ben effectively tops his. JC is long and left (but luckily lands in GUR) and CP is short in a bunker. CP gets up and down really well out of the bunker for par, and I have to hole a good four or five footer for half, which I do.

2nd (p4): This is a can't-go-right hole so I pull mine left into the trees, everyone else is on the fairway. My punch out of the trees goes high and right of the green in a pretty impossible position. Ben and JC both make lengthy two-putts for a half.

3rd (p3): I miss a fraction left and go in a bunker but Ben hits the green. JC is just short of the green on the fringe. Surprisingly he opts to chip it, but does well and gets up and down. Ben three-putts so we're 1 down.

4th (p4): When the wind's blowing at our place, 9 times out of 10 it's the same direction, which is chaotic left-to-right wind on the 4th and 5th. If I fade it, it's gone, so I do that and go out of bounds, then do almost the same thing with the provisional and end up in a bush. Ben is just shy of the green in two but knifes his chip miles through the back. Recovers well and makes a good up and down from there for bogey. JC also makes bogey for them for the half.

5th (p4): CP toes his drive straight out of bounds which was rather comical. I'm wary of the wind so use a lower tee and aim well left, unfortunately it does clip a branch which takes some length off it, but it's in play. Ben tried to hit a low one through the wind (I think??) and hit a bizarre slicing stinger that looked like a Roberto Carlos free kick. It nearly hits where we left our trolleys but hits a tree instead and pings into the fairway but a good 100 yards short of where he would normally be. He smashes a hybrid and misses the green left, I hit a bloody awful slicey thin with PW to miss the green right, and JC finds the very back of the green. Unfortunately we're both inches away from getting up and down while JC two putts to win the hole on his own. 2 down.

6th (p3):
Straight into the wind here. JC knifes his, but it hits the pin which prevents him going miles off the back and leaves him in the fringe. CP is down the bottom of the green with a 25 foot putt (at least). I'm on the green but I've faded off the pin and run down the hill leaving me about 20 feet. Ben went in a bunker, admirably almost holed it but it ran down the slope and away from the hole. CP then drained his 25 foot putt - rather annoyingly. I miss mine an inch right of the cup so we're 3 down.

7th (p4):
Three long ones coming up now so we weren't too worried, Ben is a longer hitter than me so I was hoping his length would benefit us in this stretch. Unfortunately he hits a high ball so when it's windy it kills him and completely nullifies that length - ultimately all our drives went about the same distance. I actually hit a lovely 7 wood onto the top tier of the green, where the pin is. JC hits hybrid to the bottom tier. His 30 foot putt going up the slope on a two-tier green lips out - we honestly thought it was in. I roll mine up to a couple of inches for a par and a half.

8th (p5): Pretty routine hole - CP makes a par, then I make a par. Ben has an 8-footer for birdie but doesn't make it. Half.

9th (p5): All of us make the green in regulation. I'm closest to the pin but still a good 12 or so feet away, again I miss the cup by an inch. We all make par for half pretty much. Still 3 down at the turn.

10th (p3): It's wind behind and front pin. JC is a little long and left, CP is just short. I hit a beauty of a hybrid with a little bit of fade, honestly looked like it could have gone in, but when we get up there it's just two foot past the pin. JC gets up and down of course, so I have to make my birdie putt to finally win us a hole - and I do. Back to 2 down.

11th (p4):
This is another one where the wind is annoying. I tried to tee it lower again but my ball still goes right. Ben hits his big high drive into the wind which kills it as per. Opponents both kind of hit draws through the wind so they go up the left. I have to punch mine in between trees so I can only get to about 40 yards short of the green. Ben doesn't hit enough club so he's left himself 20 yards short. CP has hit a wood or hybrid onto the green nicely. I pitch it just off the back, Ben knifes his chip into oblivion. CP lags it across the green for par, so I have to make a 10 footer from the back fringe - which I do not. 3 down again.

12th (p4): Our opponents and I all hit tidy drives, Ben, knowing that he's giving a shot away to the others tries to absolutely annihilate his drive, and kind of pulls it over the left trees which wasn't much use to us really. From there he has to hoist over another few trees but misses the green right and in a bush. JC has hit his second just short of the green, while I miss it right. I wish I'd missed it where he did as it's a much easier up and down from there. He pars and I bogey - 4 down.

13th (p4):
JC uncharacteristically pushes his drive well right. CP hits a little fat but straight. I go a bit left but luckily goes the wrong side of a tree and leaves me a decent line in. It's a short par 4 and wind behind, Ben tries to absolutely rip his drive but carves it so far right it actually carries clean over the trees and onto the 9th hole - genuinely never seen anyone do that before. He has a bit of a mare over there, but I managed to wedge mine onto the front of the green. CP finds the back left but we both have long putts because the pin is back right-ish. I hit a great putt to about 5 inches for a gimme par. CP lags to two feet, we can't really give anything at this point but he obviously drains it anyway.

14th (p3): This is the new par 3 that I haven't yet parred. JC pulls his miles left, and CP fats it short. I hit a punchy 7 iron which hits the green but runs just off the back right. Ben once against hasn't taken enough club into the wind so he's short and left. CP plays a brilliantly chip and run which rolls up to about 2 or 3 feet. I hit a hybrid bump and run which runs a bit too much and leaves me about 6 or 7 feet. It's an absolute must-make so we spend some time reading it - decide it's pretty straight so I take dead aim and give it a whack - it's a good read and it drops. CP rolls his in for the half. It's dormie 4.

15th (p3): Big par 3 up the hill. CP hits a good one just short of the green. I hit a drive that just cuts in time to miss the bunker and rolls up to the back of the green. Ben goes long and left, but hits a nice flop shot onto the green leaving him about 12 feet from the pin. CP putts up, rolls past the hole and leaves him about 8 or 9 feet away. I've got a huge sweeping left to right downhill putt from about 20 feet, I make a great attempt that just swings inside the hole by an inch, narrowly missing the birdie. Ben actually knocked his in for par which saved me the bother. CP however, does what they've done all day long and knocks his putt in the hole for the half and the match.

As I said on the Played Today thread, I played superbly well other than the disaster at the 4th - counting that one as a triple I was only 7 over par for 16 holes (we played the 16th after the match, and I got up and down for par there as well - but it had started raining so we didn't finish the last two). These two were absolutely lethal on the greens, and their combined score was level par. Of course my partner didn't have a good day, but even if he did he'd have needed to be making birdies to give us a chance of winning. Just have to hold our hands up and say our opponents were near as unbeatable on the day. I really enjoyed the match, they were both great guys who we had a good laugh with, so that's the main thing. And we got one stage better than last year's effort in this competition, so... here's to next year I guess.

Last edited: