First ever handicap. Progress.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I missed the first posting of this thread.

To be given that low an initial handicap is very good in the first place. My first after 8 years of playing was 22 within a year dropped to 16 but it took another ten to get to 6.

Keep it going.

Cheers Jim.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic here for which I apologise, however can anybody remember/tell me when the maximum men's h/c went up from 18 to 24 ?

I have been playing for over 40 years and had a handicap for 32 of those years, the maximum handicap was 28 in those years (to the best of my memory).

There were a lot of clubs around that insisted on a maximum handicap to enter a comp. Where I play when I joined in 1986 it was 24 but I understand it was 18 at some time prior to that.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
By the end of my second summer I got down from 17, my first handicap, to 12.

I played 3-4 times a week most of the time, 2x18 and 2x9 plus LOTS of short game practice. My long game was atrocious but I could get up and down well enough.

I also had lessons every 4-6 weeks for most of that time...

Ahh to be young, no children and a wife working evenings and weekends!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No movement over winter. Have shot some good rounds outside of competition. Have done a couple of comps, usually around buffer. Was still very inconsistent day to day.

Went for a lesson at the local pro a couple of weeks ago.... I really do need to video my swing occasionally, as looks like I reverted to my hands going out on the backswing, which threw the club inside behind me.

That's all I've been concentrating on since, seems to be going well on range. Had a knock on the course on Sunday, with some additional practice hitting into greens etc as was on my own. Would guess I would have been a few under HC. Not sure when next comp is though.

Hopefully will be ok for next weekend for the Kent meet, looking forward to it. Love a links course.

Martin

Stick with it. Soon be the better weather and a chance to get out and get the handicap nice and low

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Han another 30 min lesson last night.

First one last week gave me a new takeaway feel... hit on Tuesday at the range and hit very well.

Was still hitting very well before lesson last night. During lesson got me being more steep after initial takeaway. Again, after the lesson was hitting it really well.

Feels like I at least know what I need to do to give me a chance to hit well. Wheras before I would have days I would hit really well, but wouldn't really know why, which led to bad rounds in between. Gives me something to work with.

Hoping for 9 holes after work this eve and then a weekend comp in the morning, to see how it goes, but feeling good.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First medal of the season this weekend. Still had a number of wasteful shots, 3 putts and double bogies, was 6 over for last 4 holes, but managed a net 67 to win by 2, with a 1.2 shot cut of handicap.
Our club has an order of merit for the season, missed the first event, but second one in a couple of weeks and feel like I can contend while handicap is still on its way down..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First medal of the season this weekend. Still had a number of wasteful shots, 3 putts and double bogies, was 6 over for last 4 holes, but managed a net 67 to win by 2, with a 1.2 shot cut of handicap.
Our club has an order of merit for the season, missed the first event, but second one in a couple of weeks and feel like I can contend while handicap is still on its way down..

Congratulations on the win and the cut