Films

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks! We are watching them in chronological order of when they are set. My daughter got a very carefully ordered list instructing us of the best sequencing from her mate at school who is a Marvel nut! I am loving the recurrent themes and imagery, the big story arc as well as the detail of each film. So far Captain America The first Avenger/ Captain Marvel/Iron Man/Iron Man 2/Thor/The Avengers. Next is Iron Man 3, then Thor the Dark World, followed by Winter Soldier and on we will go. We have skipped the Hulk (as it's not on Disney +).

The Hulk film has no real bearing. All sorts of issues as to who has the rights to certain elements and so the Hulk film, though part of the MCU, makes no reference to the wider universe, even has a different actor playing Banner/Hulk (Ed Norton) and the Ang Lee Hulk film is pre MCU

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Am I weird in the fact that just about any Marvel movie bores the tits off me? I have tried and I can set how they will appeal, but I just don't get them. May be it's a superhero issue I have. I liked Nolan's Batman movies but that's about it.
I only just started on them but I think I know where you are coming from.
Ironman, a bit like Batman, can be explained by a rich guy just spending a lot on technology. No magic or wonders about it.
Captain America started with science going a little far and then magic edited in.
Just watched Captain Marvel and I didn't like it that much. People having weird powers and shape shifting.
Thor next. Who knows how that will be.

But tim eon my hands, I might as well complete the tasks.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Am I weird in the fact that just about any Marvel movie bores the tits off me? I have tried and I can set how they will appeal, but I just don't get them. May be it's a superhero issue I have. I liked Nolan's Batman movies but that's about it.

Yes you are weird, but not because Marvel films bore you. ;)

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes :LOL:. No, of course not. It is a style of film and things about it that appeal to me can just as easily turn someone else off.

For me, you can make the best period drama ever and I still wont touch it with a barge pole.
Yep.....my rule is if I might feel worse at the end of the movie than before it started....ain't watching it. So most serious movies are off my watch list. Good guy/gal needs to win. I have asked the people I play with a number of times (not the same guys....even I'm not that boring) if they have seen UP. Nobody so far. Tear-jerker start but great animated flick. Heck, I still like movies like the Goonies (filmed near where I grew up).

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
What really happened with Rudy? Use spoiler tags if people want to see it
Its a bit of A strange one. He’s being interviewed by Borats supposed daughter. At some point she suggests going to the bedroom for a drink and I’m doing so takes off his microphone. He then lays back and puts his hands down his trousers before Borat charged in.
His version of events is That he was tucking his shirt back in which is probably genuine but he certainly put himself in a compromising position by going into the room.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers. I just read elsewhere that the movie isn’t great, and for just one scene everyone is talking about I don’t want to watch a movie.

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
Cheers. I just read elsewhere that the movie isn’t great, and for just one scene everyone is talking about I don’t want to watch a movie.

I personally found bits of the film funny but it depends on what type of humour you have. It isn’t as funny as the first one and it feels a bit more like he’s being controversial for the sake of it on some parts.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep.....my rule is if I might feel worse at the end of the movie than before it started....ain't watching it. So most serious movies are off my watch list. Good guy/gal needs to win. I have asked the people I play with a number of times (not the same guys....even I'm not that boring) if they have seen UP. Nobody so far. Tear-jerker start but great animated flick. Heck, I still like movies like the Goonies (filmed near where I grew up).
I have a similar rule. I don't care how worthy it is, how many plaudits, if it going to make me sad, depressed, tearful I'll give it a wide berth. I go to the cinema to be cheered up, entertained.

UP, great film ??

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Argo, Ben Affleck film from a few years back. Cracking film, nerve wracking to watch at times. Based on real events, the Affleck character must have had huge cahoonas.
Maybe, but totally downplays the part the British Embassy played in the whole event. If something is based on real events, it should reflect those real events. That spoiled it for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe, but totally downplays the part the British Embassy played in the whole event. If something is based on real events, it should reflect those real events. That spoiled it for me.
Film written by Americans ignores other nations shocker ?. I actually didn't realise the British Embassy had involvement, I will look that up ?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Unhinged.

No, not me... the film. Bit of a mess, lots of 'why don't you just do this' in it but overall generally entertaining.
But my God, Russell Crow aint half put some weight on!

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Film written by Americans ignores other nations shocker ?. I actually didn't realise the British Embassy had involvement, I will look that up ?

Never forgiven them for U-571, I was in Florida on a U-571 mock up set and the people couldn't apologise enough to the British tourists pointing out all the mistakes. :LOL:

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
Unhinged.

No, not me... the film. Bit of a mess, lots of 'why don't you just do this' in it but overall generally entertaining.
But my God, Russell Crow aint half put some weight on!

Just done a bit of reading about this and it sounds like he put the timber on to play the role.

Going to be hard to shift that lot when you are the wrong side of 50!