Films

IanMcC

Visit site
Each saturday we watch 2 movies in our house. Best choices for a number of years tonight. Amsterdam & The Banshees of Inisherin. the latter is up for a load or Oscars, and the former should be.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Watched Against The Ice on Netflix last night. Always like films based on true stories, but this is a staggering tale of man's resilience in the face of adversity, all about Danish explorers in Greenland in late 19th Century. Amazing survival story well worth a watch.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched Against The Ice on Netflix last night. Always like films based on true stories, but this is a staggering tale of man's resilience in the face of adversity, all about Danish explorers in Greenland in late 19th Century. Amazing survival story well worth a watch.

Excellent shout, just watched it and it was riveting stuff 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rhubarb (1970). Was on TPTV earlier today. A little golfing almost silent British comedy short film I’ve never come across before.

Essentially a film of a golf match between a vicar and a police inspector. Filmed at a less than manicured Foxhills GC starring many of the usual British comedy film bunch of the time - Eric Sykes, Jimmy Edwards, Harry Secombe, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Conner et al.

Is it funny? Well in a very British slapstick style of the time I guess it probably was…and today maybe it is quite…though it contained a couple of what today would be considered probably verging unacceptable (in a Benny Hill-ish way) characterisations. That aside…a bit of a golfing curiosity…never mind the golf clubs being used by the vicar character (of a sort that would interest @Crow and his vintage golf ilk)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watched Sonic the Hedgehog on TV. Wasn't actually that bad as a Sunday afternoon time-filler. Reasonably entertaining and no thought required.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was flicking through Netflix the other night and watched "Gifted".
About a 7year old girl being brought up by her Uncle. She was a gifted mathematician and takes you through her uncles strong desire for her to be a child.
She is a brilliant little actress with such charm and comedy!
A feel good film that I really enjoyed and recommend.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Watched Bullet train last night. God it was purgatory. Hope it was a British rail train and had broke down.

Me and Missis T looking for a film to watch tonight
We watched this the other night. Very Tarantino'esque. My missus was sat there saying this is weird on various occassions. I had to agree, but there was something daft about it that kept me watching. An enjoyable film as long as you just take it as what it is, really silly.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Rhubarb (1970). Was on TPTV earlier today. A little golfing almost silent British comedy short film I’ve never come across before.

Essentially a film of a golf match between a vicar and a police inspector. Filmed at a less than manicured Foxhills GC starring many of the usual British comedy film bunch of the time - Eric Sykes, Jimmy Edwards, Harry Secombe, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Conner et al.

Is it funny? Well in a very British slapstick style of the time I guess it probably was…and today maybe it is quite…though it contained a couple of what today would be considered probably verging unacceptable (in a Benny Hill-ish way) characterisations. That aside…a bit of a golfing curiosity…never mind the golf clubs being used by the vicar character (of a sort that would interest @Crow and his vintage golf ilk)
I remember this from years ago. It was very much a British film of it's time. Relying on the action and not the dialogue (like The Plank). I'll try to have a watch of it again.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
We watched "All Quiet on the Western Front" the other night.
As has been said, a brutal film which also fully highlights the brutal conditions the soldiers had to endure, how they were sold a romantic view that beared no resemblence to the reality, the futility of war and the willingness of those in high places to send soldiers into horrendous situations while they stand back giving those orders miles from the front. The novel was written as anti-war, and the film cemented it.
Certainly one that, when you got to the end of it, just made you sit back and try to take it all in.
It knocked spots off 1917.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We watched this the other night. Very Tarantino'esque. My missus was sat there saying this is weird on various occassions. I had to agree, but there was something daft about it that kept me watching. An enjoyable film as long as you just take it as what it is, really silly.

I felt pretty much the same way when I watched it last night. Bit Tarnatino, bit Guy Ritchie, bit live action Manga. I thought it was fun and a decent evening's viewing that did not take much concentration.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A Time to Kill on Netflix, 2nd viewing for me, but a first for my partner......it must have been good, she stayed awake for the full 2 1/2 hours! :LOL:

I have always liked the courtroom/legal type films and books. Really enjoyed it.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Went last night to see Living at our local cultural centre. Bill Nighy superb in a very gentle and reflective film.

Bill Nighy was excellent in "About Time", a lovely film that you think is about time travel (well it is obv) but its really about relationships especially between a Father and Son. Its pretty eye wetting stuff at the end and Nighy is superb.