Filling the gap

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just thinking out loud.

I got a set of Titliest AP3 irons earlier this year, which has the PW @ 43*. Previous sets of irons have the PW @ 47*/49*. My gap wedge is 52*, and the SW is 56*.

In terms of yardages, there's now an average 30 yard gap between the PW @ 120-125yds and the 52* wedge. The obvious answer is to get another wedge @ around 48*. But with already having 14 clubs in the bag, what to drop...? Or even, do I drop anything? Its possible to still hit a full swing with the PW but lose 7-8yds by going down the grip an inch.

At the other end of the bag; obviously the driver stays. The 3 wood is great for those really narrow fairways, and for keeping it short of trouble. I have a Titliest T-mb 3 iron that 'operates' similar to the 3 wood but obviously at a shorter distance. There's a #4 hybrid, which is the get out of jail club. Yardage for it is about 185yds, but I can cut it up or draw it - a hard draw sees it up close to 200yds.

However, the 4 iron flies a similar distance to the hybrid but is one dimensional in its flight. Equally, there are times when that flight is the flight I want.

On the one hand, another wedge, and drop the 4 iron or hybrid. On the other, keep the bag as is. I recognise the gap but also feel the clubs I have each has a valid place in the bag. My gut tells me not to tamper, and just go down the grip on the PW.

Thoughts...?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You could alter the lofts a bit.......
have your 9 iron bent 1 degree weaker (40)
the PW 2 degrees weaker (45).
GW 2 degrees stronger (50)
and leave the SW at 56
That would help a bit

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree with your own thoughts about dropping the 4 iron, it is very easy to grip down on the 3 iron to get a shorter yardage and filling in with a 48 wedge.

Having got a 50 in bag (I go 50 -54) I think you would miss the 52 if it was bent to 50 for the 'around the green shots'.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got rid of 4 iron now after much messing around trying to work
Out what to have at top of bag as I like having 3 wedges after PW.

Now got driver, 3w, 2i, 3/4 hybrid loft, then 5i down. Covers pretty much everything I need and not missing 4i at all.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would agree with your own thoughts about dropping the 4 iron, it is very easy to grip down on the 3 iron to get a shorter yardage and filling in with a 48 wedge.

Having got a 50 in bag (I go 50 -54) I think you would miss the 52 if it was bent to 50 for the 'around the green shots'.

If he follows my suggestion he will have 45 PW, 50 GW and 56 SW. Low, medium and high
What is he missing?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he follows my suggestion he will have 45 PW, 50 GW and 56 SW. Low, medium and high
What is he missing?

As said the difference between using a 50 and 52 for greenside shots is noticeable and a 56 may have too much bounce for fairway/close mown grass where they play.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You're a proper old school golfer Brian.....play half and 3/4 shots with the PW :thup:

Or as Chris says, buy another new set :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

As said the difference between using a 50 and 52 for greenside shots is noticeable and a 56 may have too much bounce for fairway/close mown grass where they play.

You do know that you can buy wedges with different amounts of bounce on them these days?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a set of Epics and have this exact prob .
The thing is the pw is not really a wedge it’s a nine iron with pw on the sole.
I now have five wedges .
pw
48*
52*
56*
60*
i have worked out the clubs I use least and have dropped my nine iron as this is the least used.
This is ok at home but I check yardage’s at other courses and try to get it right!
Cant see why the makers do this or is it to get you to buy their wedges.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have AP3s and have 3 Wedges 46, 50 and 54, personally I don't like the idea of bending the 52 as this will reduce the bounce by 2 degree.

My top end is Driver, 4 Wood 22 degree Hybrid 4i - PW

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
As others have alluded to, this is a common problem with modern GI sets. I have AP1s and pretty much the same lofts and decisions.

I decided to go light at the top of the bag. Driver, 2 iron, and 4 hybrid. Then 5 upwards to pw (42) then the AP1 W (47), 52, 56, 60. So technically 5 wedges.... but in reality every club is the same distance pretty much as my old set but the one below.

My biggest issue is between 190 and 210 off the tee, it should be the hybrid but when playing from a tee with the hybrid I have a tendency to hook or hit it too high.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As others have alluded to, this is a common problem with modern GI sets. I have AP1s and pretty much the same lofts and decisions.

I decided to go light at the top of the bag. Driver, 2 iron, and 4 hybrid. Then 5 upwards to pw (42) then the AP1 W (47), 52, 56, 60. So technically 5 wedges.... but in reality every club is the same distance pretty much as my old set but the one below.

My biggest issue is between 190 and 210 off the tee, it should be the hybrid but when playing from a tee with the hybrid I have a tendency to hook or hit it too high.

Sell your 56 and 60 and get a 58 and a 3 wood.

Only having one club between your driver and 4 hy is seriously limiting your potential.

IMO

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Sell your 56 and 60 and get a 58 and a 3 wood.

Only having one club between your driver and 4 hy is seriously limiting your potential.

IMO

Yeh it’s a fair point, certainly if I played away more often something I’d strongly consider. My course is quite one dimensional off the tee to be honest so having a 2 iron is usually long enough and safe enough. I never usually play it from the deck. Or have the need too.

Whats your view on the gap between 52 and 58? Is that not too much? Or why not Just drop the 60 and go with the 56? As an aside I am struggling at the moment between 50-80 yards, tend to get caught between playing a pitch with 52 and more of a full shot with my 60. If play the full shot I’ll likely pull it, if play the pitch I tend to catch it a little thin and over shoot it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeh it’s a fair point, certainly if I played away more often something I’d strongly consider. My course is quite one dimensional off the tee to be honest so having a 2 iron is usually long enough and safe enough. I never usually play it from the deck. Or have the need too.

Whats your view on the gap between 52 and 58? Is that not too much? Or why not Just drop the 60 and go with the 56? As an aside I am struggling at the moment between 50-80 yards, tend to get caught between playing a pitch with 52 and more of a full shot with my 60. If play the full shot I’ll likely pull it, if play the pitch I tend to catch it a little thin and over shoot it.

Do yourself a huge favour and have a lesson on wedge play.
Learn the knock down half swing punch shot which will sort out the 50-80 yrd problem.
Then you wouldn't have to worry about gaps

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Do yourself a huge favour and have a lesson on wedge play.
Learn the knock down half swing punch shot which will sort out the 50-80 yrd problem.
Then you wouldn't have to worry about gaps

I have, well I’ve had a lesson on pitching. General guidance was more width and use the body to turn more. Should result in a shallower strike and a bit more forgiving. It’s just working through that process I guess and building confidence hitting the 60 hard when using this method.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Learn to use a 52 for every wedge shot in the book and you will ask yourself "why am I carrying so many wedges".

I am of an age where a 51/52 was the standard PW in a set so anything with a lot less loft I do not think of as a wedge.