File too big on photos

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If using a windows PC or laptop, open the image in "Paint"
it has an easy resizing tool within.

Resize it and save it, jobs a goodun
I'm just discovering/learning how to resize photos on my windows 10 laptop so i can post them on the forum . But to what size do I reduce it ? there's only 2 options , reduce the percentage or reduce pixel size . :confused:.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The problem is not with the physical size of the picture, it's the size of the file in Megabytes. This is dictated by the amount of jpeg compression applied to the file. I have experimented with various sized files & it looks as if 1 Mb is the limit. A file of 996 Kb (= .996 Mb) goes in fine but one of 1058 Kb comes up with the message "The uploaded file is too large"

You need to use an app which alters the compression, not the physical dimensions of the photo. An app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vinson.shrinker&hl=en_US

The file below is big in size 4,288 by 2,750 pixels but it is compressed to 6 in Photoshop (12 is the least compresson). I still looks fine compressed this much. You can get a small file size by reducing the dimensions of the photo but this degrades the quality much more than applying compression to a big photo.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 000_0722_6_2750high.jpg
    000_0722_6_2750high.jpg
    995.9 KB · Views: 5

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is not with the physical size of the picture, it's the size of the file in Megabytes. This is dictated by the amount of jpeg compression applied to the file. I have experimented with various sized files & it looks as if 1 Mb is the limit. A file of 996 Kb (= .996 Mb) goes in fine but one of 1058 Kb comes up with the message "The uploaded file is too large"

You need to use an app which alters the compression, not the physical dimensions of the photo. An app like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vinson.shrinker&hl=en_US

The file below is big in size 4,288 by 2,750 pixels but it is compressed to 6 in Photoshop (12 is the least cmpresson). I stll looks fne compressed this much. You can get a small file size by reducing the dimensions of the photo but this degrades the quality much more than applying compression to a big photo.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bill managed to eventually suss it out, maybe there's hope for this old dog yet :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My question is Why is all this faffing about necessary?
Are the servers not able to handle an ordinary photo taken on an ordinary phone?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My question is Why is all this faffing about necessary?
Are the servers not able to handle an ordinary photo taken on an ordinary phone?

Its all to do with storage

Text is tiny, really small amounts of data
You could get the text of The Bible on 1 floppy disk (1.44 Mb in old money)
but the moment you start adding photos the file size rockets.

15 years ago an average digi photo was about 1 Mb
now they are around 10 MB and if you have a high resolution camera, could be 20 Mb plus
Individually its not a major issue, but look at the millions and billions of photos flying about the place and even a few thousand on here is enough for the server to start to fill up.

So limiting the size, means we can squeeze more in

oo er Matron