Feet behind the tee markers?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When playing a club match yesterday, our opponent pointed out (in a friendly manner it must be said) that my playing partner's foot was in front of the tee markers while teeing off. He obliged and teed up slightly further back.

I always thought it was the ball that had to be in line with, or behind, the tee markers, and as long as that was the case it doesn't matter if your left foot is in front of them. Am I wrong? If so I have regularly broken this rule on par 3s where I would typically put the ball right in line with the tee markers, and thus with my natural stance my left foot would be in front of that.

DCB

Visit site
Next time you see your opponent, remember to point out (in a friendly manner it must be said) that he's wrong ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next time you see your opponent, remember to point out (in a friendly manner it must be said) that he's wrong ;)
Ah fair enough. Unlikely I'll ever see him to be honest. It's also possible I misheard and in fact my PP's golfball was over the line, but I thought he said his foot. Either way, good to know I haven't been doing it wrong all these years!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a shame you were not certain at the time. Utter plonker. You can be in front or outside of the markers, where the ball is is all that matters.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clueless is a little harsh - I suspect few on here would be comfortable betting a grand on the exact definition regarding the ball and the teeing ground (as an example) although most would be reasonably comfortable with a multiple choice option - and even more certain that they knew it after looking it up👍

And that just one rule 🤔

But they should realise the feet thing!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm dreading it when the changes come in... a couple of blokes I play with are clueless now, goodness knows what'll happen!

I would not worry, I play with guys who still quote rules that went out of the rule book last century!!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ah fair enough. Unlikely I'll ever see him to be honest. It's also possible I misheard and in fact my PP's golfball was over the line, but I thought he said his foot. Either way, good to know I haven't been doing it wrong all these years!

Being an expert on mishearing things due to being half deaf, perhaps he said your partner’s ball was a foot over the line.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being an expert on mishearing things due to being half deaf, perhaps he said your partner’s ball was a foot over the line.
It turns out I completely misunderstood the situation. Checked with my mate the other day, it turns out he called it on himself as he realised his ball was over the markers, so he moved it back, and our opponent simply joked that he'd been doing that every time and that's why we were winning.

So yeah, I should pay more attention, and this topic was a waste of time. Sorry chaps lol.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We've got a PP who does that all the time, can't understand why he thinks that extra inch makes any difference....2 clubs behind, not a millimetre forward.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've got a PP who does that all the time, can't understand why he thinks that extra inch makes any difference....2 clubs behind, not a millimetre forward.

Well you can have about 42mm of your ball in front of the line across the leading point of each tee marker 👍