Feeling Guilty

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's probably a result of spending too much time at the driving range and not enough on the course, but I’m a skimmer. Frequently, I barely bruise the grass and I very rarely take a decent sized divot.

The result of this is that when I do damage the surface there’s almost never anything to replace. There’s a small explosion of the top few millimetres of the surface that splinters into a million pieces, but nothing I can find. I leave a trail of scars behind me on the course and, try as I might, I can’t fix the damage.

This leaves me with quite a feeling of guilt. So does anything you do on the course leave you with a guilty feeling?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I too rarely take a divot and hit regularly at the range - there's a pattern emerging methinks !

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My divots are that way too. More like bare patches where I have shaved off the grass. Nothing to replace, really. I wish my course would offer seed mix to carry around with you. Then I could at least do something to repair the damage.

On feeling guilty: we have a hare at our course who resides under a certain bush on the right side of the 18th hole. And for some weird reason, I keep hitting that bush, resulting in a totally freaked out bunny zigzagging his way over the fairway. I am so sorry about that every time it happens. But obviously, the hare always returns back home, so it can't be that bad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always been a picker and never giving it a second thought. As long as I am still getting ball then top of the turf and the ball goes where I want it then I'm happy
Yeah same. I never take proper divots either, as I guess I don't hit down on the ball enough, but if I've scraped the grass that generally means I've struck it as well as I ever do, so I couldn't really care less about the grass. :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have bags of sand/earth/seed mix beside our first tee. We take them out with us. If I take a fairway divot and can't sort it very well I fill up the hole with the mix. We've been doing this for a few years now and we can see the difference it has made to our fairways - especially the areas where we are hitting short irons to a green. If I run out and can't fix a divot scrape or hole 'perfectly', I do my best but don't feel guilty as we each do our bit.