Feeling a bit erm...........

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
After two years of being Vice Captain and Captain at my club, I handed over the mantle to the new Captain last night.
I've really enjoyed doing it and glad I did but now I'm in that kind of odd feeling where after being involved in all the stuff at the club for two years, I'm not any more.

I'll have a lot more free time to actually play golf rather than meetings but it does really feel strange that I am not going to be involved as deeply as I've been for the last couple of years.

From others who've done the same role, is this a normal feeling? I imagine it is as I guess it's really a bit cold turkey.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our retiring Captain serves another year on the committee after his Captain's year, the understanding being that he let's the new man put his own stamp on things without sniping in the background.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is great that you still have enthusiasm. One thing I have noticed over the years is how beaten up and fed up captains are at the end of their term. I have seen a surprising number move club soon after, they just have had enough of the demands of the role.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes can imagine it is 'different' after putting all your time and effort in.

Felt a similar feeling the year running upto to retiring from my Sunday football team. I'd been heavily involved, started helping out with training, sorting the lads out and even temp manager when our manager left. New manager came in and it gradually changed. Myself and a 2 other senior players of the time all decided to leave at the same time as it had changed. Tbf it was a good time to go as age, injury and the team needing to move on helped me make the decision.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had a year as Past Captain, there for advice if asked, then back onto one of the committees as a foot soldier. After 14 years I had got it out of my system and didn't miss it when I finally walked away.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Our retiring Captain serves another year on the committee after his Captain's year, the understanding being that he let's the new man put his own stamp on things without sniping in the background.

I had a year as Past Captain, there for advice if asked, then back onto one of the committees as a foot soldier. After 14 years I had got it out of my system and didn't miss it when I finally walked away.
The Immediate Past Captain used to sit on Council but when we moved to a Board of Management that role was no longer required so it is basically off you go once you finish as Captain, but of course always there to provide help and advice if needed.
It'll pass I know but on Day 1 it's a weird feeling.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our last years captain went on to the board (voted in) but I get the feeling that he still wants to deal with things that are the responsibility of the Captain's committee rather than the board. He appears a bit disgruntled with one or two of the decisions we have made since his departure.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I had the same feeling after my stint in 2009 plenty more feel the same to. I think a lot depends on if you have enjoyed the expierence or not. I know one or two who were glad when it was over.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hats off to you for taking on the role. I don't think people appreciate how much time and effort goes into it. Sit back and relax, you've earned it :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Ours does the same. It has really helped with continuity and allows them to advise without the feeling of interfering. Our captain also serves a year as vice before taking up the role and so there's plenty of time to learn the ropes. Never had the opportunity but I can only think of one captain throughout my golfing career that I have thought didn't make a decent fist of it. Every other captain has been really committed and dedicated and set their own mark on the role

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
From others who've done the same role, is this a normal feeling?

Absolutely.

I deliberately pulled back in 2016 after my year in 2015, then dived back in in 2017. Which worked for me.

However, it really is about what works for you. The only things that are constants for everyone are leaving space for those coming in, and that it will be different the following year!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

We do the opposite. Even if he is well suited to an on going committee role he is expected to stand aside for a year and leave space for the incoming captain, and vice.

The folllowing year he's welcomed back for what he brings, rather than who he was.

Can see merit in your clubs approach though - but it does need (many) larger than life characters to come straight back with a very small footprint....

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Our club process is that you spend a year as Vice-Captain to give you a chance to find your feet then move into the Captains role and then stand down. The role of immediate Past Captain to support the Captain disappeared when we decided to have a Board of Management.
They are an elected body who do more of the background work in running the club so we have a Chairman, Director of Marketing, Director of House and Greens, Director of Finance (who sit on the board for three years then get replaced/re-elected), Captain, Lady Captain and Club Manager. All volunteers except the Club Manager. The idea is it gives continuity to the running of the club and actually works pretty well. It also takes a lot of the stress of the Captains role.