Favourite Putter?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gone back to my old Odyssey #2 and put the Futura up for sale, the blade style of putter is just suiting my eye a bit better at the minute and been rolling the Odyssey nicely. Looking at a new Scotty once my Futura sells - either a Newport or scour eBay for an older model - something like a Catalina maybe. Can't beat a Scotty for me, love 'em.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Odyssey white hot #5 centre shaft. Had it for at least 14 years now. I was a serial putter changer but have really settled on this. Had a Scotty in the bag for a month or so about 10 years back but the Odyssey returned.

In fact, I was a serial club changer. At one point I changed my irons 4 times in one year. The youngest thing in there at present is the irons, at 15 months. Not looking to change anything at present, although I've a fancy to try the Ping G 400 driver... stop it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I assume the putters in our bags are bought within the confines of budget constraints, as we all have them to a degree or another. If you could buy one putter today, to play with each week irrespective of cost, what would you go for?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've still got the first putter I ever paid for out of my own money - a Ping Anser; it's a lovely dark bronze colour. I will always have it.

Me. too, still have the one I bought from Aladdin's Cave of Golf in Uxbridge (which was an awesome place back in the day). It was the first individual club I bought after my original first half set of Slazenger Johhny Miller California clubs that I bought from Argos to get me started. The putter in that set was very reminiscent of the one ScienceBoy posted above and needed replacing pdq. I bought the Anser because that was what Seve was using, I do find it a little light these days. but will always keep it for posterity

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Me. too, still have the one I bought from Aladdin's Cave of Golf in Uxbridge (which was an awesome place back in the day). It was the first individual club I bought after my original first half set of Slazenger Johhny Miller California clubs that I bought from Argos to get me started. The putter in that set was very reminiscent of the one ScienceBoy posted above and needed replacing pdq. I bought the Anser because that was what Seve was using, I do find it a little light these days. but will always keep it for posterity
There use to be an Aladdins Cave in Tolworth and it had a massive shop floor of stuff and usually at a good price. Got loads of stuff there in my time including a Ram Zebra putter. My first proper putter was a Ben Sayers Justin which was a Ping Anser copy and then I got my Anser 2 in about 1981. Still got it and gave it a bash the other week on the practice green. Still feels nice but needs a new shaft and grip

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a problem with sight lines, I seem to be able to align a 90* angle better so I use the spider tour. If the spider x is released in a plain crown I’ll get one

D

Deleted member 1418

My first set was also the Slazenger California!! I had those for years, and replaced them with Mizuno TP9s! Talk about a step-up!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I love my current putter, the 2014 Wilson 8802 blade putter.

I may putt better with one of the big chunky MOI putters but I love the look of it and the feel of hitting it out the middle

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've previously had a Bettinardi BC1, Odyssey 2-ball, Odyssey X-8, Odyssey PT82 + various Scotty's (currently a California Del Mar + Squareback)

I have always been a fan of Scotty Cameron, but I'm tempted to sell them both and try something different- any suggestions?

Also had many many putters. Finally, I have a keeper, picked up an Odyssey Works 2 ball fang for £49 and absolutely love it! Good luck with whatever choice you make

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I love my current putter, the 2014 Wilson 8802 blade putter.

I may putt better with one of the big chunky MOI putters but I love the look of it and the feel of hitting it out the middle

I do love the look of the 8802, but haven’t used one. How do you find lining up without a line/ball/dot on the top of the putter?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I do love the look of the 8802, but haven’t used one. How do you find lining up without a line/ball/dot on the top of the putter?

It was something I was worried about when I got it, but to be honest it's absolutely fine.

It's quite easy to find the centre of the blade with your eye with the way it's shaped

GolfingPastor

Visit site
It was something I was worried about when I got it, but to be honest it's absolutely fine.

It's quite easy to find the centre of the blade with your eye with the way it's shaped

How do you find distance putts?
That’s what I struggled with when I had an Odyssey PT82 Napa style

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just as a point of order, Napa isn't a style, it's just the name that Scotty Cameron gave to his version of the traditional flanged blade. :)

D

Deleted member 1147

My first adult length putter was a Wilson Staff TPA. Loved it, wish I’d kept it!
Those were the days, when I didn’t stand over putts fearing the one coming back 😱

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you find distance putts?
That’s what I struggled with when I had an Odyssey PT82 Napa style

Personally I'm fine with, I feel like I am in control of the putter, and can hit pretty good lag putts. Although it's not something I have ever struggled with so don't know if that's a pro of the putter or not

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’ve got a Scotty Cameron 1.5 Squareback that I’ve had in my bag for 9 years, but I’m of a similar mind. Whilst I still love the putter, and don’t putt badly, I just fancy a change. The one that has caught my eye is the Odyssey Stroke Lab Marxman. Every time I try it, it just feels so smooth to putt with, beautifully balanced, and looks good to boot.

So after a lot of humming and putting in AG, I went with a Stroke Lab V Line S putter. Not too disimilar to the Marxman, but I just really like the way it looks and feels when putting. The had 6 single putts in the first nine holes I played with it , very pleased so far.