Favorite Golf Comp Format!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Interesting, I've not heard that one. Evidently my club hasn't either as they're still calling it a Texas. :LOL:

I'm sure if we look hard enough we'll find a club that lists them the other way round. In the meantime here's a few to consider;

Different Types of Scrambles
There are many variations on the basic scramble golf tournament format. These are some of them:

• Ambrose: When a tournament is called an "Ambrose scramble," that typically means it is net score using a team handicap.
  • Bloodsome: A "bloodsome scramble" is one in which the team plays its worst ball after each stroke. Rarely played because it takes so long. See "Reverse Scramble" below.
  • Bramble: Think of it as a scramble off the tee but then "regular golf" after that. Same as a shamble.
  • Florida scramble: After each stroke, the golfer whose ball was selected sits out the following stroke.
  • Fort Lauderdale: This name usually just means it's a standard scramble format. "Fort Lauderdale" is a synonym of "scramble," in other words.
  • Las Vegas scramble: You need a 6-side die to play this version of a scramble. (Not to be confused with the more-common Las Vegas betting game.)
  • Miami scramble: The golfer whose drive is selected sits out until the team reaches the green.
  • Powerball scramble: On some holes, team selects one of its golfers to tee off from the forward tees.
  • Reverse scramble: Same as the Bloodsome - use the worst ball after each stroke.
  • Shamble: Pick the best ball off the tee, everyone plays "regular golf" from there into the hole.
  • Step Aside: Same as a Florida Scramble. Also called a Drop Out Scramble, Stand Aside or Stand Out.
  • Texas scramble: The team must select at least four drives from each of its members during the round.

D

Deleted member 23270

Not sure about the slow play comments regarding scrambles. To me slow play is all about the waiting around hehind a slow group. If the whole field is playing at a slower pace then nobody is hanging around as such so it doesn't feel slow.

D

Deleted member 29109

What do you mean by "proper golf", matchplay was the original format of golf, strokeplay was invented later to be more social

It was also played with shepherds crooks and sheep poo.

What we now know as golf is a game consisting of getting the ball in the hole 18 times. Proper golf (to me) is counting how many shots that takes. its about putting your big boy pants on and not soiling yourself because you “have a card in your hand”.

That is my opinion.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It was also played with shepherds crooks and sheep poo.

What we now know as golf is a game consisting of getting the ball in the hole 18 times. Proper golf (to me) is counting how many shots that takes. its about putting your big boy pants on and not soiling yourself because you “have a card in your hand”.

That is my opinion.
Couldn't agree with you more. Matchplay is my favourite too.