Favorite Golf Comp Format!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my last club we used to have different formats over the winter, my favourite being gruesomes. Similar to greensomes, but the other pair pick your worst tee shot on each hole and then it’s alternate from there. Great fun. My PP is long but can be wild with his driver, I was having to hit shots from places I didn’t know existed!

Love singles match play, the ups and downs of a competitive match is unbeatable in golf I think.

Scrambles are good for society days I think, especially where not everyone plays every week. And it’s nice to be putting for a birdie most holes, disappointed when you make a par!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
in my own personal experience I have found Texas to speed up play if anything, as everyone will be playing from the same yardage usually from a decent lie, and the crap shots can just be picked up instead of hacking arounds

They are good fun
As the round goes on you will only get 1 or 2 people driving off, not all 4. You may need only 1 putt on the green. There are a few ways that scrambles speed up a round.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Medal is my favourite followed by stableford
Matchplay is good fun too but a bit like scramble, grrensome etc it's not really proper golf, but I still enjoy it

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
in my own personal experience I have found Texas to speed up play if anything, as everyone will be playing from the same yardage usually from a decent lie, and the crap shots can just be picked up instead of hacking arounds

They are good fun
You haven't seen the groups that all walk to one ball, then all walk over to the other balls to see if their lie/line is better, then all walk back to the first ball they checked just to make sure, have a ponder then walk back to the second choice, agree the first choice was better and all walk back to that ball.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love a bowmaker. Puts pressure on when you all need to score on the last few holes, particularly if one is a bit erratic or having a mare.

D

Deleted member 29109

You haven't seen the groups that all walk to one ball, then all walk over to the other balls to see if their lie/line is better, then all walk back to the first ball they checked just to make sure, have a ponder then walk back to the second choice, agree the first choice was better and all walk back to that ball.

Plus people collecting balls from all over the place then having to play their shots.

The last 2 ball scramble at my place saw groups taking four and a half hours.

RichA

Visit site
I prefer and play better in any kind of pairs or scramble event. I'm much more likely to put in a solid performance if I know failure lets somebody else down.
Solo rounds I'm currently lucky if I score mid-90s. Team events I somehow play like a reliable low-mid handicap golfer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scramble is definitely slower, if it's a 4-person one anyway. As you say everybody has to walk to their ball and then back to the best ball - and the debate over which position of the two better ones is best. Takes ages.

RichA

Visit site
Scramble is definitely slower, if it's a 4-person one anyway. As you say everybody has to walk to their ball and then back to the best ball - and the debate over which position of the two better ones is best. Takes ages.
Our place only plays 3-person scrambles. I've found them to be quicker or at least the same pace as a normal 3-ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place only plays 3-person scrambles. I've found them to be quicker or at least the same pace as a normal 3-ball.
At my club it's 4-person scramble, but with a rule that whoever's tee shot you're taking, they don't get to play the next shot. So a bit of time is taken to decide who's tee shot you're using, but for the 2nd shot and 3rd shot if needed it's usually pretty obvious which one is the best shot out of three.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the beauty of golf is the various formats. I normally play stableford as that's the format of the weekend roll up. I enjoy match play and scrambles are fun from time to time, split sixes when there is three of us. I even like the odd medal - as it's the great humbler. For me it's about variety.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Medal is my favourite followed by stableford
Matchplay is good fun too but a bit like scramble, grrensome etc it's not really proper golf, but I still enjoy it

What do you mean by "proper golf", matchplay was the original format of golf, strokeplay was invented later to be more social

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although I like playing in Texas Scrambles the one thing I hate about them is that they are the slowest format I have ever played in.

If I want to be tested I will always opt for singles handicap medal play.

For social golf - any form of Stableford and I prefer Stableford match over medal match because most times it goes to or very near the last hole.

Swango1980

Visit site
I like fourball match-play (pairs match-play, if you will). In fact, I also like 2 best scores count on each hole, four man team. Everyone in the group is genuinely rooting for each other and normally on a day out at another course (in an Open), which probably adds to the enjoyment.

I also like Texas Scramble as a bit of a chilled out event, although less so now unless there are a couple of very high handicappers in the team, to give you enough shots to finish at least nett 20 under par :)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

One of the good things about insisting everybody has 4 drives is that as the round progresses the amount of choice decreases.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
At my club it's 4-person scramble, but with a rule that whoever's tee shot you're taking, they don't get to play the next shot. So a bit of time is taken to decide who's tee shot you're using, but for the 2nd shot and 3rd shot if needed it's usually pretty obvious which one is the best shot out of three.

Known in certain quarters as a Florida scramble, as opposed to a Texas scramble where everyone is in all the time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What do you mean by "proper golf", matchplay was the original format of golf, strokeplay was invented later to be more social

Yeah I get that and I do enjoy it but you can litterally win a match without holing a putt or hearing the ball drop in the cup

That's kinda the point of golf