Favorite Golf Comp Format!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
As was said, it's always good to be out. That said, I'm not a fan of foursomes.

My favourite though is scratch match play. Very tactical since your score is irrelevant it's just you vs your opponent. I prefer scratch since it takes all the handicap stuff out of it so it really is a pure head to head.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big fan of better ball matchplay. If you and your partner ham and egg you can be unbeatable. Usually Hawkeye and I decide to blow up on the same hole and we struggle. 2013 is a new beginning. However there is something deep in the soul that only comes to life when you've constructed a good medal score where every shot has a value and needs to be treated with respect. No picking up and still beating handicap.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
Stroke play for me.

I really enjoy pairs better ball as I find it quite relaxed.

I have never been the best at singles match play.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I have to choose one, its strokeplay. Every shot counts and you have to construct a score even during the bad swings.

Can be a pain to get beat in match play by someone going birdie, pocket, birdie,pocket.......

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
bestball - aggregate when playing in a fouball
after many years i gradually developped a sympathy for stableford competitions
played a couple of greensomes last year which i liked very much but difficult to judge after playing twice

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm bringing back a very old thread here!

Over the late Autumn/ winter period our club runs a lot more "fun" comps like Foursomes, Greensomes and scrambles (4 and 2 man) - and I love it.

Prefer playing team events than individuals to be honest! Way more fun! Got a Foursomes comp tomorrow, cant wait to thin a chip after my PP sticks one straight down the middle :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with #31 and 32, love team games, scrambles etc. A 4BBB is a good compromise, thankfully the format of most Opens around here, but if as an individual then stableford every time for me. My heart sinks whenever I see it is strokeplay.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm with #31 and 32, love team games, scrambles etc. A 4BBB is a good compromise but if as an individual then stableford every time for me. My heart sinks whenever I see it is strokeplay.

Ive given up entering medals. I just do not enjoy them one bit. :ROFLMAO: Also no chance of winning one at my place

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm bringing back a very old thread here!

Over the late Autumn/ winter period our club runs a lot more "fun" comps like Foursomes, Greensomes and scrambles (4 and 2 man) - and I love it.

Prefer playing team events than individuals to be honest! Way more fun! Got a Foursomes comp tomorrow, cant wait to thin a chip after my PP sticks one straight down the middle :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't want to play it all the time, but scrambles are great in winter, since it very much reduces the chances of you having to play out of a crap lie. And it removes some of the burden of consequence on a bad shot, bringing a nice relaxed attitude (apart from the times you're hitting last and everyone else has fudged theirs).

Greensomes is good fun as well. I play with my mate of similar handicap who has a big drive and superb long irons but a very ropey short game. I hit fairways and have a reasonable short game (better than his anyway). So greensomes is perfect for us, as we both tee off - I go first and if I hit the fairway he'll unleash the driver with carefree abandon to see if he can get us right down there. If he misses a green with an approach, he's happy that he doesn't have to play the chip. If I hit one in a bunker it's fine because he's a much better bunker player than me as well. If you could combine our best qualities into one golfer we'd probably be off about 5. ?

D

Deleted member 29109

My preferred formats in order

Individual Medal.
Individual Match play.
Individual Stableford - treat it like a medal.
Foursomes medal is the only team format I really enjoy.

Will play 4BBB in an open if the course is worth visiting and good value. If it’s not much cheaper I’d rather pay the full green fee.

I really don’t like scrambles. Personally I don’t consider it proper golf and will avoid. I’ve played a couple with the boy as it’s an easier introduction to competitive golf for him.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing in my first ever Texas Scramble on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it, but a bit concerned re the comment about how it prolongs the length of a round as I have a train to catch afterwards!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our winter league rotates over ten rounds, Foursomes, Greensomes, BB, Scramble and Shamble. Always liked a scramble, great fun especially if you’ve got a mixed bag of abilities in the team.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Matchplay over any form of Strokeplay

Prefer singles generally, but do enjoy 4BBB if my game compliments by partners

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing in my first ever Texas Scramble on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it, but a bit concerned re the comment about how it prolongs the length of a round as I have a train to catch afterwards!

in my own personal experience I have found Texas to speed up play if anything, as everyone will be playing from the same yardage usually from a decent lie, and the crap shots can just be picked up instead of hacking arounds

They are good fun