Favorite Golf Comp Format!

Mag

Club Champion
Visit site
Hiya!

Played matchplay against a mate today and during our round we talked about of favorite golf comp format.

He liked playing a best-ball form, while I like matchplay better (mostly because I can only blame myself if I do poorly).

Oddest format I've tried is something called thread-golf which was the format of a comp at my home club. Basic idea was that every contestant was given a piece of string which was the length of their handicap in yards and they were allowed to use part of the thread to move the ball. F.ex if you play your third shot on a par-4 to a yard of the hole, you could then measure the remaining length and remove that length from your amount of string which would allow you to card a birdie.

Anyone else have a favorite comp format or have encountered any other oddities?

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Never liked Texas scrambles, or any alternate shot type formats. I just struggle to get in the groove!

Match play is good as it keeps the pace of the game up when played properly.

Your string format sounds stupid, it's golf for crying out load!

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your string format sounds stupid, it's golf for crying out load!

Can't argue with that at all. Got to be the weirdest format i've ever heard of.

For me Texas scrambles are a good laugh but not a format i'd want to play more than maybe twice a year.

Never actually played a foursomes event yet so still to experience that, but I have played gruesomes matchplay where you both tee off and your opponent gets to choose your worst drive which you have to play.

I like 4BBB matchplay and bit boring but I do enjoy Strokeplay and having no-one else to blame but yourself for a cock up.

M

MetalMickie

The oldest & purest format remains IMO the best - Singles Matchplay

Foursomes matchplay a great format for the winter, gets plenty of us on the course in limited daylight, round in 3 hr 15 mins and great opportunities for banter.

Texas Scramble, a complete abomination designed to prolong the time of a round.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hiya!

Oddest format I've tried is something called thread-golf which was the format of a comp at my home club. Basic idea was that every contestant was given a piece of string which was the length of their handicap in yards and they were allowed to use part of the thread to move the ball. F.ex if you play your third shot on a par-4 to a yard of the hole, you could then measure the remaining length and remove that length from your amount of string which would allow you to card a birdie.

Anyone else have a favorite comp format or have encountered any other oddities?

Single stroke play , hardest & best way to find where your "real" game is at .. no hiding place ..

Guys the game with the piece of string is a fun format the same as a yellow ball comp etc ..

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I like matchplay best, but I am partial to a Texas Scramble, and I thoroughly enjoy our Boxing Day Yellowsomes (Foursomes, but you both drive and your partners choose which of your drives you then play - the aim being that they should choose the worst of the two drives).

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
every contestant was given a piece of string which was the length of their handicap in yards
Flippin eck those higher handicaps can get within 20 yards of the hole (ie on the green) and claim birdies !!! Don't wanna be playing that game !

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Singles matchplay closely followed by strokeplay. I love the mind games that are involved in matchplay and I love the solo attack on the course from strokepllay.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Flippin eck those higher handicaps can get within 20 yards of the hole (ie on the green) and claim birdies !!! Don't wanna be playing that game !

Have heard of this before, but I thought the string length was in inches. I don't suppose it really matters, the same units for all, so doesn't matter whether it's inches, feet, yds. I've never played this, but surely these games are just for a bit of fun, and if you use up 20 yds for one shot, then c'est la vie......... I'd play if they did one at ours.....in fact may suggest it.....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Favourite singles - matchplay.
Pairs - Canadian greensomes, the best game for acold winter's morning.
3 man team - a waltz.
4 man team - any, I'm not too bothered.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

To be true to the rule they as they use the string they should cut the length off that they need and bin it, and you should all play off scratch as the string is used in place of shots!

T

thecraw

If I'm on the course I couldn't care less what I play. Texas, better ball, foursomes, strokeplay or matchplay its a day away from the wife, kids, stress, work etc. A bit of quality me time is always welcome.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Medal play is my favorite, it is a true test of where you are at, no picking up and blobbing and scoring 45 points you score your score and that is it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Singles matchplay BUT as part of a team. Best golf I've played is The Mail On Sunday Club Classic. We've had some great wins and I recall one trouncing of our opponents in horrendous weather. Every match finished by the 16th but every player and caddy stayed out for the last pairing EXCEPT all our opponents who sought refuge in the clubhouse. We walked down the 17th and 18th in torrential rain having the best laugh and celebration - brilliant.

gdc

Head Pro
Visit site
Medal play is my favorite, it is a true test of where you are at, no picking up and blobbing and scoring 45 points you score your score and that is it.

I'd have to agree with that.
Unfortunately my club has made all medal comps (barring the majors) stableford format to speed up play.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
36 hole medal or scratch foursomes are my favourite formats for serious golf, enjoy a texas scramble for a bit of fun.