Faldo - who is your golfing hero?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have just created a folder in my inbox called - Faldo. He was my inspiration when I first got into golf and hopefully we are looking to work with him this year. I might be a bit star struck if I meet him!!

Who was your golfing inspiration?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just one word:

Seve.

Likewise. Had a video (remember those) of him winning at Lytham in 1988 when I was wee and watched it over and over and over and over and over again and would then go outside with a cut down 9 iron and one of those plastic practice balls with the holes in them and pretend I was him until my tea was ready!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Its an age thing... I was inspired to play golf after watch Seve on TV,(circa 84 Open) the we starting winning the Ryder Cup from 85 and Brits started winning the Masters!

Faldo emerged during this time, and as he was "one of ours" he was "the man"

So, Seve and Faldo for me....

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sir Nick Faldo for me too. Single-minded determination to succeed and be the best he possibly could be. Six majors.

Outside of him, Seve, Jack, Tom Watson, Justin Rose and chrisd.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Faldo for me.
Only really started getting into golf in the late 80s/early 90s and he was at the height of his game then.
If ever I stood over a shot and didn't feel comfortable I used to say " how would Faldo do this" and the confidence grew...daft but if it works don't knock it!

D

Deleted member 16999

Ian Woosnam after watching him win The Masters.

D

Deleted member 1147

A tricky one, rather than just one person it was an era that really made me love the game. Europe in the late ‘80’s - Faldo, Seve, Woosie, Sandy, Oli, Torrance, James etc

But Faldo probably leads the bunch

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Faldo for me.
Only really started getting into golf in the late 80s/early 90s and he was at the height of his game then.
If ever I stood over a shot and didn't feel comfortable I used to say " how would Faldo do this" and the confidence grew...daft but if it works don't knock it!

Funnily enough what you mentioned about "what would Faldo do" is exactly what Faldo use to do when he played. I was listening to an informal interview with Faldo recently while he was hitting a few balls and he said when he tried to shape a particular shot he mimicked the swing of the greats he looked up to for that particular shot. He was also big into visualisation as well - good listen, just can't remember when I saw it!!