Faldo - who is your golfing hero?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Faldo for me, although when I first played it was Jacklin, but once Nick Faldo appeared on the scene he took over. Faldo was only overshadowed as favourite sporting hero, by Glen Hoddle.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Jack.

Met him when I was about 7, was at St Andrews when he won in 78 and his 86 Masters win is my greatest memory of golf.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Heroes : Jack Nicklaus, Payne Stewart and John Daly ............. in that order.
Zeroes : Gary Player, Gary Player, Gary Player and Sandy Lyle.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Woods for me.

Not many folk I grew up with cared about golf but he made so many people watch.
Didn’t start playing til long after his last major, but he got me into watching it.

also got a lot of time for Rose and the resilience he has shown to get to where he is now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seve - was just awe inspiring - found Faldo boring as hell , superb golfer but Seve was the one that brought excitement to the game

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman. Just went after everything , no hanging back. Had frailties in his game, but then so do I, especially mental ones. Gracious in defeat, some thing I am not. An under rated golfer.

Payne Stewart, Seve, Big Cat ( for those who follow NLU), Paddy Harrington, and Henrick Stenson also get a mention.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seve for me although I was lucky enough to meet Faldo and Lyle and watch them play Royal Wimbledon from up close. Talking to Faldo in particular changed my opinion of him and I became a fan. Still can't forgive his RC captaincy though

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Met a lad who lost both legs in Vietnam playing in the states.
I have never met a more glass half full guy in my life , he wasn’t the best player but his demeanour was awesome he is my golf hero.

If I have to Seve.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sir Nick Faldo for me too. Single-minded determination to succeed and be the best he possibly could be. Six majors.

Outside of him, Seve, Jack, Tom Watson, Justin Rose and chrisd.

To be fair, whilst I concur entirely with your list but not necessarily the order you've placed them in 😁😁

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Greg Norman. Just went after everything , no hanging back. Had frailties in his game, but then so do I, especially mental ones. Gracious in defeat, some thing I am not. An under rated golfer.

Good shout about Greg Norman.
He had a bit of a bad day at Augusta in 1996 but never threw a club, swore at his caddy or behaved badly in any way.
A real gentleman

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jack and tom watson but closer to home my grandad. He used to take me when I was a kid. He would go out of his way to ensure we played every week. He wasn't very good but he tried and tried and tried. He must of got down at times but he would never show it, in case it ruined my day. My hero

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As the OP, I grew up watching Faldo etc at '91 Ryder cup but now I get very inspired by matches as well - Rory-v-reed Ryder cup. Stenson -v- Lefty the Open. Rose -v- Garcia Masters. Though I still admire Seve for who he was and how he played. He was just amazing and I might be very lucky to meet his son soon which will be quite humbling I imagine.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Whilst I admired Seve for his cavalier attitude and passion, I think Faldo did more for British golf around that time than any other player.
He was the "hero" that the country needed at the time, and whilst his off course antics weren't to everybody's taste, his steely determination whilst in the heat of battle were an inspiration to many.
There was an "air of mystery" about him, something you couldn't quite work out, and his collaboration with David Leadbetter helped to cement this. This pairing was immaculate in many peoples eyes, mine included.
I have to admit that Faldo's results were always the 1st ones I looked for.
One only has to look at the proliferation of golf courses, (some good, some not so good), that sprung up in the UK around the time of Faldo's dominance to realise what a profound effect he had on the game.
I'd go as far as to say that there would be thousands less golfers in the UK today had it not been for Faldo.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don't think I ever gave a player hero status but Greg Norman was my 1st favourite player I can remember having and closer to home my favourite Scottish player was Sam Torrance

Always remember rooting for these two to do well whenever golf was on the telly

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Who is my golfing hero? Not sure I've got one.

I took up the game in 2008 when most of the greats were already really established and whilst some of the new guys are inspiring on the course, they aren't particularly interesting off it.

If I had to pick a single player, I'd probably pick Stenson. For me, he is a phenomenal golfer and I'd love to be able to play like him (especially smashing a 3 wood 320 yards).