fairway woods

Micha

Visit site
have not golfed for38 years bought a 11and 9 wood love them easier for me to hit any other senior use fairway woods instead of irons

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes. Currently using an 11 wood. Getting high lofted hybrids (30+34*) delivered today for an experiment. My next iron replacements will only go down to around a 7 iron.....in another year or so. Currently playing off 6.4

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't play with fairway woods unless I'm using a set that is 38 years old or more.

For handicap qualifying stuff I use a driver, 16d and 20d hybrids, a full set of irons 3-SW and a 64d wedge.

Current index is 5.0, which gives me 6 on many courses.
Very comfortable handicap for me - I feel I should be lower - but hey - blame it on WHS - or the recent rock hard fairways and greens.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes. Currently using an 11 wood. Getting high lofted hybrids (30+34*) delivered today for an experiment. My next iron replacements will only go down to around a 7 iron.....in another year or so. Currently playing off 6.4

There are so many wrongs in this post!

@bobmac - have a word!

I’ve tried to work out how this bag would sit and it’s blown my mind.

driver, 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, 11w. 7/8/9/Pw/GW/SW/chipper & putter?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 7 wood, as well as a 5 wood, just no 3 wood as I didn't get much use out of one. I have a 24° hybrid which is perfectly nice to hit so I don't think I'll be looking at 9 woods at all. But the 7 wood is absolutely fantastic. So easy to hit - I'd implore anybody to have one in the bag, and anyone I know who has a 7 wood tends to say the same!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My long irons were replaced with hybrids/rescues. I tend to have a swing which is much more suited to irons than than fairway woods and hybrids can be hit like an iron.

I used to carry a 7 wood but is was more for hitting out of deep rough than off a fairway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been a 4w/7w kinda guy for many a moon..
4w does everything a 3w and a 5w does, 7w hits it high and stops it quick...
It'll be a good few years before 9 and 11 woods come in....I'm not Fragger......
Bit if they work......

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve tried finding a 7w so I can drop two hybrids, they must be all the rage as options for used are limited.

Let’s hope chippers don’t go the same way!

Mandofred

Visit site
There are so many wrongs in this post!

@bobmac - have a word!

I’ve tried to work out how this bag would sit and it’s blown my mind.

driver, 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, 11w. 7/8/9/Pw/GW/SW/chipper & putter?
Got the 2 hybrids today while I was golfing (wife took delivery). Going in really early in the morning before my rollup starts at about 7:30 to hit the hybrids on the field to see what distances they will go. Turned the 30 degree down to 29.....so my bag tomorrow will be....
Driver, 5 wood (set at 18.5), hybrids at 24-29-34, 6/7/8/9/PW/50/54/60+putter. Planning on dropping the 11 wood and 5 iron.

The whole point of the experiment is to find clubs that will land the ball in that 130-160 range without a lot of roll out. If I hit a 7 iron I expect it to land around 130-135....but at this time of the year it rolls out too far. I have a few holes where I need the ball to land in that 130-160 range and not roll much. The 11 wood has worked really well at times. Our 12th from the yellows has been 167 to the pin the last couple of times.....just about perfect for that 11 wood. I'm not selling the 11 wood before I find out if the hybrids will cover those distances (with a higher+softer landing) with a little better accuracy.

Mandofred

Visit site
Lots of brassie, rutter, jigger, and 1 iron golfers rotating in their graves with this thread
[Well maybees not the jigger players:love:]
I used to be younger as well.....but at 65 with the arm strength of cooked spaghetti....I just can't hit my long irons any more, and I've never been a high ball hitter. Working on my short game this year has helped and I'm playing as well as I ever have right now. Just dropped back down to 6.4. If I get my long stuff (particularly driver) more consistent I might get down to 6. Although just looking at that 34* hybrid.......looking forward to seeing what the result will be. If I can hit that thing consistantly and have it drop in that 140 range like it fell out of the sky....I'll be giggling like a mad man

Voyager EMH

Visit site
"Arm strength" is not needed to hit long irons effectively. The thought that some extra effort is required and translating that to the swing is why so many poor shots are made.
A long iron has a longer shaft - so with the same tempo of swing as a much shorter iron the clubhead will be travelling faster at impact. No extra effort is needed.
You may even slow the swing slightly and achieve a decent shot with a long iron.

I'm 62 and hitting my long irons as well as ever. I'm hitting all my irons as well (or as poorly) as ever.
I've never had a great deal of "arm strength". I possess fairly slim arms and wrists.
As I've always swung fairly easily and smoothly, I've never had any problems with long irons.

D

Deleted member 23344

I have a 5 wood and a 7 wood … love them … so easy to hit. Don’t have the swing speed to get a 3 wood off the deck.

Mandofred

Visit site
"Arm strength" is not needed to hit long irons effectively. The thought that some extra effort is required and translating that to the swing is why so many poor shots are made.
A long iron has a longer shaft - so with the same tempo of swing as a much shorter iron the clubhead will be travelling faster at impact. No extra effort is needed.
You may even slow the swing slightly and achieve a decent shot with a long iron.

I'm 62 and hitting my long irons as well as ever. I'm hitting all my irons as well (or as poorly) as ever.
I've never had a great deal of "arm strength". I possess fairly slim arms and wrists.
As I've always swung fairly easily and smoothly, I've never had any problems with long irons.
I was mostly kidding with my comment about being a weakling.....kind of. The part that is important to me is that I don't hit a high ball.....a 7 iron (as an example) won't stop for me (until winter of course). My experiments with these new hybrids is to solve that problem. There are a few YouTube's about the 7 hybrid and how they could work for a lot of people. That I am aware of though......the low irons are better if you have higher swing speed....which I do not have.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I have a 5 wood and a 7 wood … love them … so easy to hit. Don’t have the swing speed to get a 3 wood off the deck.
This is a fine description of one of the great myths.

When I was ten years old, with a very short cut-down 3-wood, a very slow swing speed and clubhead speed, I could hit it effectively off the fairway.
It is most definitely "the thought" that something extra is required from the swing that causes the problems with the longer clubs.
Swing easily and smoothly and let the good shots happen.
You're welcome.