fairway woods

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In my view it is marketing over the last 25 years.
Very common it was to buy a whole set of clubs, woods and irons, that matched.

Nowadays you buy a,
driver and 3-wood,
2 or 3 hybrids,
a "set" of irons (5-PW or 6-PW)
3 or 4 wedges.

And all that has made very little difference to the consumer who bashes the ball up the fairway and towards the green.
But the diversification of product has made much more opportunity for profit making.
Chapter and verse regarding loft creep belongs to @Crow.
But surely everyone sees through the great con in manufacturers saying you will hit this 7-iron much better and further than your old 7-iron, so you need new clubs.

I've played my last 3 handicap qualifying rounds with this set of 21st century irons with "retro" lofts and knocked 0.6 off my HI.

soles.jpg

backs.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are so many wrongs in this post!

@bobmac - have a word!

I’ve tried to work out how this bag would sit and it’s blown my mind.

driver, 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, 11w. 7/8/9/Pw/GW/SW/chipper & putter?

I've just got one of these, it's so easy to use......

6136N7K7ECL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

However, if others want a 7,9,11 wood or lofted hybrids and they enjoy using them that's fine by me.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
That's discriminatory against odd numbers....
I don't want to ban the odd numbers - I've got nothing against them.
Merely want your 4-wood to have its rightful place and acceptance in the golf club community. Other even numbers should be welcomed and given recognition.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've just got one of these, it's so easy to use......

View attachment 44146

However, if others want a 7,9,11 wood or lofted hybrids and they enjoy using them that's fine by me.
I used to ride this
Giro-A26.jpg
Sold it when we moved back to the UK. I couldn't ride a diamond frame bike for various reasons. Tempted to get back into riding and I wouldn't mind one of these
4D8A0123_2.jpg
But with all the rock walls around here nobody would be able to see me without a 200 foot pole attached to the bike.
My experiment with the 2 high lofted hybrids is leaving me a bit.....unhappy. The 11 wood is back in the bag and I think at some point one of the 30 or 34* hybrids will be benched. If nothing else, kind of wish I'd ordered them with an extra inch longer shaft.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There are so many wrongs in this post!

@bobmac - have a word!

I’ve tried to work out how this bag would sit and it’s blown my mind.

driver, 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, 11w. 7/8/9/Pw/GW/SW/chipper & putter?

What is it to you? Play what works concentrate on your own bag and don't worry about anyone else.

Everyone's gapping is different, some carry 4 wedges, some carry 2!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
What is it to you? Play what works concentrate on your own bag and don't worry about anyone else.

Everyone's gapping is different, some carry 4 wedges, some carry 2!
...or 3 or 1 or none.

There are plenty of sets that were numbered 2 to 8. I bought one last week. If there was a 9, it was the putter.

Hoganman1

Visit site
My 3w is cranked to 16.5* and is still the lowest flighted club in the bag. I’ll be putting a high launch 5w (19*\20*) in the bag for the winter, it sounds better than a lady wood ?
I've been playing a three (15*), five (18*) and seven (21*) fairways. I'm going to switch back to my old HL three (16.5*) and HL five (21*) as an experiment. At age 72 my swing speed is diminishing. I'm hoping simplifying will help.

evemccc

Visit site
A new Ping G425 5W with a shaft fit to my swing characteristics in a decent fitting ——- in all honesty I’m tempted by this ?

How much of a step forward is this likely to be compared to a random 3W eBay purchase of a club 5 years old..??