fairway woods

D

Deleted member 23344

This is a fine description of one of the great myths.

When I was ten years old, with a very short cut-down 3-wood, a very slow swing speed and clubhead speed, I could hit it effectively off the fairway.
It is most definitely "the thought" that something extra is required from the swing that causes the problems with the longer clubs.
Swing easily and smoothly and let the good shots happen.
You're welcome.

I am not blindly believing a myth … it is my personal experience. I have tried several 3 woods over the years and I cannot hit them, whether I swing smoothly or not. I have one in my bag which I use effectively off the tee when I want to play safe … but it doesn’t go as far as my 5 wood off the deck.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I am not blindly believing a myth … it is my personal experience. I have tried several 3 woods over the years and I cannot hit them, whether I swing smoothly or not. I have one in my bag which I use effectively off the tee when I want to play safe … but it doesn’t go as far as my 5 wood off the deck.
Same for me,if I can’t reach with my 5w I lay up.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Well, a lot of 5-woods are actually 4-woods like the 18.5 degree one mentioned earlier. So if that is what players are dong then fine.
If you are using a 3-wood from the tee, it might be a 2-wood. That's great as an alternative driver, so well done again.
For a lot of years I carried a driver and a 4-wood. That meant my irons could be 1-SW.
When playing with older clubs, I consider the option of taking 1,2,4,5 woods for these reasons. 1 or 2 from the tee and 4 or 5 from the fairway.
I don't play courses with decks to play from or dancefloors to putt on. So maybe that has something to do with my weird and unusual thinking that so many take exception to. :geek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you. Couldn't get a decent launch off the deck with any 3 wood I tried, not consistently anyway. I made them same deduction, that you need a decent swing speed and perfect strike to use one properly. Instead I just use a 5 wood set down at 17.5° (4 wood loft I guess) and that's just enough loft to get it up and carrying a decent way. The 7 wood is 21.5°, easy to hit, and I use that on anything that's too long for the 5 wood to reach. ??

evemccc

Visit site
I'd sooner play off a handicap of 10 to 15 using long irons than a single figure handicap with a maximum of a 6 or 7 iron plus a bag hybrids, we're all different.

I think I can understand the thinking behind that, but I equally can understand why someone would want to use what’s legally available to make themselves better

For me, I think I’m a better iron player than most at my handicap level (and certainly worse at other aspects of my game) — but that may be wishful thinking…I WANT to be a good iron striker of the ball > any other aspect of golf

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My 3w is cranked to 16.5* and is still the lowest flighted club in the bag. I’ll be putting a high launch 5w (19*\20*) in the bag for the winter, it sounds better than a lady wood ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Use whatever clubs you want that helps you get the ball in the hole - you don’t get anything extra by not using hybrids etc
I agree with this. I am not opposed to Crow's philosophy which is clearly dear to him and interesting to read about . But at my level mid-high handicap golf isn't an easy game and modern clubs though they may make it a little easier don't conquer it but do give me that smile a little more often when I hit a well struck shot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Update on my experiment. Went in early this morning (before playing at 7:30) to hit 20 balls with the 29+34 hybrid. Put out my cones at 120/130/140/150 and walked back to the tee and remembered why I stopped putting cones out that far....I'm getting older and have trouble telling accurately where the balls are landing between the cones:ROFLMAO:. Still gave me an idea of where they would land though. I don't think I'm going to kick the 11 wood out of the bag, there are several holes on our course where the distance that club hits works well (landing in the 160 area). The 11 wood and either one of those high lofted hybrids are great clubs when the ball needs to get up in the air...or for just a safety shot. On Monday I might just drop the 6 iron out of the bag as well and have driver/5 wood/11 wood/29+34 hybrid....they each have their own yardages that they work on....I can land that 34 hybrid anywhere from 120-140 yds I think. 120-130 is at my 8 iron landing distance so I may have to make a decision at some point on the overlap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to 3 wood of the deck I think finding one that works for you is harder than finding a driver which works for you.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are 7 woods 11 woods etc not just a previous version of rescue woods? I have never had a wood with more loft than a 5 wood and that was a long time ago as it was made of wood. I do currently have a 19* rescue. This replaced my 3 iron as our course is fairly tight and it is much easier to hit the rescue from the rough towards the green on a long par 4. My 3 wood is 13.5* and is probably the best club in my bag after the putter.

shane3003

Visit site
I’ve had a Ping G410 7W for a couple of years now and it’s my favourite club, off the tee or fairway it’s ace.
Seriously considering a 9W as I never feel great with my 5i, usually jump from 6i to 7W.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The Golf Handbook. By Richard Bradbeer and Ian Morrison. Revised and updated version 1997. ISBN 1-86147-006-1

Standard lofts and shaft lengths of clubs are,

club lofts.JPG

Not surprising then, that some people struggle to hit a 15 degree 3-wood from the fairway. I would need a perfect lie and a slight upslope.
Since the even numbers were abandoned (for no good reason in my view) those using a current 9-wood or 11-wood are probably using a 5-wood in reality.
And many who say they struggle with long irons are in fact doing fine with a 6-iron that is actually a 4-iron.

And for those of you who think 1997 is so long ago to be irrelevant, it is nearer to now than when I first started playing golf.

And tournament pros with a 7-wood in the bag are really using a 4-wood. So no big deal about that!

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
The Golf Handbook. By Richard Bradbeer and Ian Morrison. Revised and updated version 1997. ISBN 1-86147-006-1

Standard lofts and shaft lengths of clubs are,

View attachment 44049

Not surprising then, that some people struggle to hit a 15 degree 3-wood from the fairway. I would need a perfect lie and a slight upslope.
Since the even numbers were abandoned (for no good reason in my view) those using a current 9-wood or 11-wood are probably using a 5-wood in reality.
And many who say they struggle with long irons are in fact doing fine with a 6-iron that is actually a 4-iron.

And for those of you who think 1997 is so long ago to be irrelevant, it is nearer to now than when I first started playing golf.

And tournament pros with a 7-wood in the bag are really using a 4-wood. So no big deal about that!
Dustin Johnson was using a 9 wood during at least one major this year.