Fairway v Hybrid

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
I am thinking about ditching my 3 wood (which I rarely use) and replacing it with a 17 degree hybrid.
I feel I would get much more use off the deck with the hybrid but am unsure about what distance I would lose from the tee?
Cheers
Skiffer

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi skiffer,
Id have to agree there with the23rdman theres 2 degrees less on the wood but i wouldnt drop it from the bag just yet what about long tight holes. your 17 degree hybrid wont be much use on them .
id go with the wood off the tee but you need a wood you can hit off the deck also......what type have you is it medium or large headed......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I was you I'd keep the 3 wood for the tighter driving holes. If anything I'd swap the hybrid for the 5 wood as you'll get more versatility with the hybrid (out of rough, long par 3's and even chipping)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at your set-up, I'm not sure where you want to go with this idea. f.w.i.w. I know a good 16 h'cap player who tried a similar idea, but 1) the 17 hybrid was way shorter off the tee and 2) he couldn't hit it for toffee of the fairway.
Result, nothing gained, £80 down.....

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
what type (3W) have you, is it medium or large headed......
My 3 wood is a TM V-Steel which I guess is at the large end.
I was looking at the TM Burner Hybrids and their heads are much larger than my current TM Rescue Mid.
Are fairways and hybrids converging?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi skiffer,
the gap between hybrids and woods is getting thinner and thinner..
some hybrids are nearly the same shape and can be even bigger than some of the fairway woods on the market...
you should try out some of the fairway woods withnthe slightly smaller haeds and see how you get on Pings G10 3W and 5W are peaches of clubs off the fairway out of the rough or off the tee mizuno's are the same i use wilson staff myself and love the im hitting them relly well but try different types what works for one person may not work for others.. theres clubs ther from all prices check out the review section of the woods on this site and you'll get a clearer picture...

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am thinking about ditching my 3 wood (which I rarely use) and replacing it with a 17 degree hybrid.
I feel I would get much more use off the deck with the hybrid but am unsure about what distance I would lose from the tee?
Cheers
Skiffer

I see your current set up listed, I ask the question WHY?
What is missing from your 19h/c that you feel will improve shots and get you down a stroke? If there is'nt anything you feel will do that, why spend cash on another club you dont need when you can spend it on a lesson?

n8dog

Club Champion
Visit site
I know most people are probably going to disagree with me but i generally find a hybrid harder to hit, i top them so easily, i even chose to stick with my 3 iron rather than a hybrid. When i tried it the 17* hybrid was almost identical to my Titleist 906f4 5 wood so it would probably be the better to think of trying a different lofted hybrid say 15 degrees. Or you could try a more forgiving 3 wood.
play off 14.0

Titleist 905t 8.5 stiff grafalloy blue
Ping G5 15* stiff grafalloy prolaunch blue
titleist 906f4 18.5 stiff aldila vs proto
callaway x20 tour 3-pw project x 6.0
cleveland cg10 54* s400 mizuno tour style 60* s400
scotty cameron studio design 1.5

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you need to be looking at higher lofted hybrids. A 19/20/21 degree would be equivalent to most 3 irons and 5 woods and I would have thought if you can hit a 5 wood a hybrid would be easier to hit than a 3 iron

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Can't argue with that. ;)

Just looking at your wedges. 52,56,60 degrees, and you carry the PW as well. What loft is the PW ?

Personally, I'd stick with what you've got at the top end, get rid of a wedge, and maybe add a 5w.

I know hybrids are all the range, but more manufacturers nowadays are bringing out fybrids or whatever they call them. And to me it all looks a bit Big Eeezeeish.

Bah humbug, says I.