Fair comment

petema99

Visit site
If everyone could do it and no skill is required, then why are we all not winning the US Open? Just eat a load of pizzas and get a longer driver according to Fitzpatrick...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Poor old Fitzpatrick, who averages 309 yds himself this yr having hit 50% of fairways on the US tour this year. oh and who hit the same amount of fairways as Bryson did at the US Open! Lol nice try Fitzy

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there needs to be a rethink about golf and golf courses. I say fair play to Bryson for putting in the effort to change himself and his game. But I wonder about the wider picture. He’s exploiting the courses and taking advantage (that’s fine it’s part of the current game). So my question is what do we want golf to be? I think you need to start with that question, and from it you can start thinking about course design.

For me, you want every course to have a fair risk reward element regardless of how far you hit it. There should be clever design in place to cater for short and long hitters. With risk reward trade off for both. It would require a big rethink of course design but it would drastically improve the game imo. And there would be no question of skill vs bombing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Matt has had his backside handed to him by Bryson.

Bryson has just owned a silly petulant boy who made cheap and thoughtless remarks about a superior player.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there needs to be a rethink about golf and golf courses. I say fair play to Bryson for putting in the effort to change himself and his game. But I wonder about the wider picture. He’s exploiting the courses and taking advantage (that’s fine it’s part of the current game). So my question is what do we want golf to be? I think you need to start with that question, and from it you can start thinking about course design.

For me, you want every course to have a fair risk reward element regardless of how far you hit it. There should be clever design in place to cater for short and long hitters. With risk reward trade off for both. It would require a big rethink of course design but it would drastically improve the game imo. And there would be no question of skill vs bombing.

Do we though? Does the biggest hitter always win?

Grow the rough.. well he didn't find many fairways

Golf is fine

He's not even dominating

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone agree with Poulter ?

He says that the best way to rein in the distance problem is not by the golf ball but by having a minimum of loft on the golf club. He reckons Bryson us using 4° of loft on his driver which renders very little spin at the speed he connects, but, if he had 8° plus of loft it would even out some of the gain and therefore a more level playing field. Long hitters would still have an advantage but less of it

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fitzpatrick makes a legit point, in my opinion. His issue is really with those who set up courses rather than BdC himself - he is right to take legitimate advantage if he can. Power has always been a factor in golf but, in my opinion, it should be balanced against other aspects of the game. That balance seems to have been lost with courses that are either too wide or where the penalty of being in the rough does not outweigh the value of being 50 yards closer to the green. Things can go the other way too. In the 80s, the US Open tended to favour plodding players who could hit 2 iron off the tee into a shoulder width fairway then another 2 iron on to a green surrounded by spinach like rough. Great skill but boring as hell.

The Nationwide/Korn Ferry Tour in the US was known as the bomb and gouge tour became it had courses and players suited to the smash it off the tee then wedge it on the green style of play, and it didn't really matter if that wedge was from the fairway or rough. This has now become common on the main Tour and although players like Cameron Champ, Tony Finau and Bryson are entertaining to watch, it is a bit more one dimensional than it used to be.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either I totally misread this or others did.

I read it as that Bryson DCB is skilful to hit fairways after bulking up and adding 40 yards, so in other words it was a compliment.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone agree with Poulter ?

He says that the best way to rein in the distance problem is not by the golf ball but by having a minimum of loft on the golf club. He reckons Bryson us using 4° of loft on his driver which renders very little spin at the speed he connects, but, if he had 8° plus of loft it would even out some of the gain and therefore a more level playing field. Long hitters would still have an advantage but less of it

Why would this be fair? This would be specifically targetting one golfer who has worked out a better way rather than reducing distance across the board. Assume the following week he'll want the shaft length limited to 44"? Prob best Poulter doesnt watch him hit a 3 wood too lol

Any changes need to be to address making courses obsolete yet fair to all the golfers, this clearly is targetted at 1 golfer (and wont solve the problem)

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do we though? Does the biggest hitter always win?

Grow the rough.. well he didn't find many fairways

Golf is fine

He's not even dominating

I think we should yeah. Shots gained has definitively evidenced that bigger hitters prosper, regardless of the rough. For the last how many years how many pros have switched their focus to driving distance. A lot probably. You’ll even hear people in the business talk about how college kids are focusing on distance more so too now.

Bryson will take it up a level. People will use his example to beef up and focus on distance even more so. It’ll take time but I bet in 5 years time you’ll see the effects.

Agree that he’s not dominating but percentage wise, I think big hitters dominate In general and will do so even more as time goes on.

I’m not getting at penalising big hitters. I don’t want them to restrict the ball and what not. I’m talking about course redesign to make it more interesting and fun to watch. More strategic and analytical. And more competitive for the pros.

I just think the standard of pro golfers and how far they hit has radically outpaced the courses they play on. I think they just need to freshen it up.

D

Deleted member 1147

DCB has seen that the most successful players have tended to be amongst the longest hitters.
Rory, DJ, Koepka, Els, Goosen, Mickelson, Singh, Tiger, Norman, Couples, Jack etc etc etc
So he decided that if you can’t beat them, join them. Or even overtake them.

So it’s unfair to say DCB is ruining the game, and blame just him.
That’s my issue with Fitzpatrick’s comments, it’s too personal. The game as a whole needs looking at.

As one journalist wrote, I have no problem with DCB hitting it 30
Yards past everyone else. But why can’t he be doing that at 320 yds?
That way the great courses won’t be obsolete, and we won’t have to have such dull courses as they often use on the PGA tour.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It would be interesting to see the effect of using smaller headed drivers (200 cc maximum) and higher spinning balls, people often talk about this but has any actual study been made measuring how a modern professional would play using this equipment?

Smaller heads mean that more care needs to be taken or the effect of not middling is amplified compared to a 460 cc head, people won't be able to swing out of their boots.
The higher spinning ball also exaggerates the mishit compared to modern low-spin balls.

petema99

Visit site

Think it would be good for tour courses to have more unplayable areas, e.g. by adding thick heather/bushes/hedges/etc. in and around the trees on the side of the fairways (and between fairways), so going into trees more than likely leads to a lost ball

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think it would be good for tour courses to have more unplayable areas, e.g. by adding thick heather/bushes/hedges/etc. in and around the trees on the side of the fairways (and between fairways), so going into trees more than likely leads to a lost ball

ok in current covid fan free times but not going to work when fans return

missing a fairway shouldnt lead to a lost ball that much either, it should however limit their options for the next shot which isnt the case on most current resort style courses

more about course design, likes of Valderrama and Golf Nationel a decent start point for me