Fair comment

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why would this be fair? This would be specifically targetting one golfer who has worked out a better way rather than reducing distance across the board. Assume the following week he'll want the shaft length limited to 44"? Prob best Poulter doesnt watch him hit a 3 wood too lol

Any changes need to be to address making courses obsolete yet fair to all the golfers, this clearly is targetted at 1 golfer (and wont solve the problem)

I think he felt that several golfers might take the BdeC route if it proves successful and gave to believe that he wasnt the only one who hits a low degree driver.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think he felt that several golfers might take the BdeC route if it proves successful and gave to believe that he wasnt the only one who hits a low degree driver.

why pick on low degree drivers though? why not shaft length, ball compression, wedge lofts etc etc, feels like its not overly thought through and just the one thing thats very different for Bryson currently

if youre going to make equipment changes think a bit harder and deeper rather than latching on to the obvious one for me, far too many simple soundbites from "shorter" hitters lately who are just sounding a bit bitter in the main

maybe Poulter shouldve recommened irons with no hosels for eg :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
why pick on low degree drivers though? why not shaft length, ball compression, wedge lofts etc etc, feels like its not overly thought through and just the one thing thats very different for Bryson currently

if youre going to make equipment changes think a bit harder and deeper rather than latching on to the obvious one for me, far too many simple soundbites from "shorter" hitters lately who are just sounding a bit bitter in the main

I watched the video Poulter made explaining it and it does make sense. He was basically giving Bryson credit for what he's done, but said it's only been allowed because there's no lower limit on driver loft, and if everyone was made to hit 8.5 or 9 degrees and upwards, plus limit the shaft length at 45.5 or whatever it standard, then there would only be a finite distance anyone could really hit it due to the spin. Bryson would still be the longest hitter though and still have that advantage I guess, he'd just be hitting it 350 instead of 390.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
DCB has seen that the most successful players have tended to be amongst the longest hitters.
Rory, DJ, Koepka, Els, Goosen, Mickelson, Singh, Tiger, Norman, Couples, Jack etc etc etc
So he decided that if you can’t beat them, join them. Or even overtake them.

So it’s unfair to say DCB is ruining the game, and blame just him.
That’s my issue with Fitzpatrick’s comments, it’s too personal. The game as a whole needs looking at.

As one journalist wrote, I have no problem with DCB hitting it 30
Yards past everyone else. But why can’t he be doing that at 320 yds?
That way the great courses won’t be obsolete, and we won’t have to have such dull courses as they often use on the PGA tour.
Dyson CheBrambles??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I'd have thought that the ball would be the obvious target, and it's certainly been the must mentioned one to try and reduce distance from the "bombers". I dont think it's players particularly being bitter against the big hitters, and certainly Poulter didnt say anything against BdeC, in fact quite the opposite, but, without doubt hitting huge distances is reducing the skill level and watchability of golf and that goes back to when Tiger first appeared on the scene. Clearly something has to be done and upping the loft with a minimum angle was a new one on me but it would still leave the big bombers as the longest hitters just reign them in enough to make winning a tournament a test of skill over strength too.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd have thought that the ball would be the obvious target, and it's certainly been the must mentioned one to try and reduce distance from the "bombers". I dont think it's players particularly being bitter against the big hitters, and certainly Poulter didnt say anything against BdeC, in fact quite the opposite, but, without doubt hitting huge distances is reducing the skill level and watchability of golf and that goes back to when Tiger first appeared on the scene. Clearly something has to be done and upping the loft with a minimum angle was a new one on me but it would still leave the big bombers as the longest hitters just reign them in enough to make winning a tournament a test of skill over strength too.
Changing the ball by restricting distance would make no difference at all. Taking, for example, 10% off the distance would still mean big hitters like Bryson would still be 40-50 yards past Fitzpatrick and hitting an ‘easier’ club into the greens. I think loft and shaft restrictions would mean a more level playing field.

D

Deleted member 1147

Changing the ball by restricting distance would make no difference at all. Taking, for example, 10% off the distance would still mean big hitters like Bryson would still be 40-50 yards past Fitzpatrick and hitting an ‘easier’ club into the greens. I think loft and shaft restrictions would mean a more level playing field.
There’s always been a gap between the long and short hitters. ie Norman & Woosnam compared to Pavin.
But if the long hitters didn’t hit it quite so far, the old courses would no longer be obsolete, and they wouldn’t have to keep adding yardage to St Andrews and Augusta etc

evemccc

Visit site
Why shouldn’t long hitters have an advantage?

Those of a wealthy background or whose parents were into golf, have a massive advantage in that they were able to afford lots of lessons and practice time when young - before work / life gets in the way.....so why shouldn’t those who’s natural physiology and work ethic (and ability to think originally and creatively - like BdC with regards bulking-up, large grips and same-length clubs) have an advantage???

I like the finesse of Seve, the metronomic tee-to-Green efficiency of Faldo, and the classic swing of Adam Scott as much as the next person. And have no love for bomb-and-gouge golf or courses that lend themselves to that, but hitting long and straight is a skill

I am not against regulating the golf ball, and am actually for it for Professional golf.
My issue is that BdC is the easy media target for a wider trend. But Rory, Brooks, Bubba, DJ have all reached the pinnacle over the last decade without the same media alarm...the media have long been cheerleaders for Rory for example, as they were for Tiger in his pomp.

It would be much harder to do Vs manufacturers, but regulating Driver head-size would have a similar effect as it would demand player focus on accuracy > distance, as tech has made clubs more forgiving

TLDR: Professional tour ball regulation would be the best option. Fitzpatrick’s comments aren’t a good look for him

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see Rory was out hitting 190 plus ball speed . Over 350 yards of carry, it's funny he doesn't get the same attention as bdc.
Bryson is very good with his wedges so takes advantage of his length.
Rory isn’t it’s the weakest part of his game imo. And short putting if he sorted that out he would be top five every week.
Stop worrying what others are doing and sort your own game out was my managers favourite saying.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Bryson is very good with his wedges so takes advantage of his length.
Rory isn’t it’s the weakest part of his game imo. And short putting if he sorted that out he would be top five every week.
Stop worrying what others are doing and sort your own game out was my managers favourite saying.
Yeah i watched him in the US open, was pretty poor with his approach play.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah I agree with that as well - they can even ease them into it while there's no spectators by having the ropes slightly further back to start with.
No, awful idea, one of the best parts of going to watch live golf is when the ball comes over the ropes and you run over and crowd round, you get a real good view of the caddie and golfer working that you dont see when they are on the fairway

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, awful idea, one of the best parts of going to watch live golf is when the ball comes over the ropes and you run over and crowd round, you get a real good view of the caddie and golfer working that you dont see when they are on the fairway
Well maybe it doesn't have to be all crowd areas - just the parts where golfers will be tempted to cut corners and so on.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I sometimes flick on the golf and see a golfer about to take a shot and think that's McIlroy (from the back, or side view) - but it's actually Fitzpatrick. I sometimes think he's a mini-McIlroy - he's not short of the tee, handy on the green but he's not really contender. Even 500+ yard par 4s, he's probably hitting max. 7 iron in most weeks. He can hit 600 yards in 2 shots. But he doesn't regular contend. So really, I think this is a bit of sour grapes / jealousy. But it's been said above, BDC has won a tournament, he's not going to dominate for the next 10 years. We're far to quick to bestow potential domination - this year alone, we've had McIlroy, Thomas, Rahm and DJ - all of whom apparently could rule for a very long time only to be quickly replaced at the top.

BDC has invested his intelligence, his time, his money, his team, his dedication to try something to be successful - sure technology improvements are there - but he has done the grunt work and immediately we're isolating him as the problem. I still don't like him, but fair play to him, he's single handedly started a revolution of sorts - same length clubs, a gazillion metrics in shot selection, bulk up and hit it long and far. It's all still reliant on his short game to get him over the line, and he'd probably fancy himself in any chip and putt contest.

D

Deleted member 1147

I sometimes flick on the golf and see a golfer about to take a shot and think that's McIlroy (from the back, or side view) - but it's actually Fitzpatrick. I sometimes think he's a mini-McIlroy - he's not short of the tee, handy on the green but he's not really contender. Even 500+ yard par 4s, he's probably hitting max. 7 iron in most weeks. He can hit 600 yards in 2 shots. But he doesn't regular contend. So really, I think this is a bit of sour grapes / jealousy. But it's been said above, BDC has won a tournament, he's not going to dominate for the next 10 years. We're far to quick to bestow potential domination - this year alone, we've had McIlroy, Thomas, Rahm and DJ - all of whom apparently could rule for a very long time only to be quickly replaced at the top.

BDC has invested his intelligence, his time, his money, his team, his dedication to try something to be successful - sure technology improvements are there - but he has done the grunt work and immediately we're isolating him as the problem. I still don't like him, but fair play to him, he's single handedly started a revolution of sorts - same length clubs, a gazillion metrics in shot selection, bulk up and hit it long and far. It's all still reliant on his short game to get him over the line, and he'd probably fancy himself in any chip and putt contest.

Fitzpatrick is number 19 in the owgr, has a runner up, a third place and 4 other top 10's this season - that's a third of the tournaments he's entered worldwide. Throughout his career he gets a top 10 every 4th event.
I think he contends quite often in actual fact, on both sides of the atlantic.