Experts Swing Check

alphalogan

Medal Winner
Visit site
Please see - https://members.mydeo.com/myvideos.asp?MSGID=0

I am 69 and have just discovered golf!! I have now been playing with friends for about 3 months (once a week normally and sometimes twice - I try and get to the driving range one a week) and bought a set of Masters clubs as a beginner. I have had one lesson so far and will be interested in your comments on my swing which I carried out in my garden using one of my son's old training aids which is basically a golf ball on a piece of elastic.

Many thanks

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
as KeefG says, await comments from someone in the know.

I do have one question though - how big is your back garden?! (or was that a practise ball :))

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Alphalogan.
Can I start by saying welcome to the forum and what a great swing. :)
I suspect you hit the ball a little left to right but so what?
If you see your ball move left to right in the air, have faith, because so does Jack Nicklaus and Tiger woods :eek:
I'm pleased you have had a lesson to get the basics right and you have done a good job. Everything looks pretty good to me.
I woud suggest you just go out there, have fun, and have the odd lesson on the parts of the game you think you need help.
In the meantime, go out there, enjoy the excercise, the company and enjoy this stupid, frustrating game that we all love.
P.s. If you want to hit it a bit further, go and have a lesson and ask your pro to help you with your out to in swing.
Good luck and welcome to golf ..............Bob

alphalogan

Medal Winner
Visit site
Garden is big enough when it come to mowing the lawn! However the ball was a golf ball that it attached to a length of cord (3 yards) which in turn is attached to a length of rubber which runs at right angles so you can hit the ball as hard as you like and provided you do it right it always returns to you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I think there is plenty to be happy about in that swing (some stuff that maybe isn't totaly correct too) so get out there and enjoy this infuriating game. Be good to see you on the main forum board too getting involved. Have fun and enjoy your golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
mitch

I don't mean this disparagingly but you don't have that much knowledge of the golf swing (I'm no expert either but can see some of the more common faults) and so it isn't really beneficial to the OP's for you to say it looks good when Bob, JustoneUK, RGUK and others with far more knowledge then come along and say look at a, b or c.

Not trying to pick, start a fight or put you down, but it may be better not to put anything down. Just an observation and if you want to carry on please feel free. Its a forum and so any comments are valid (within normal parameters)

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
M1tch
Don't listen to Homer - you carry on mate.
Its not like you have given a technical critique of the guy's swing, you are just welcoming him to the forum and being supportive. In my opinion you are not doing ay harm.

Homer - I can see you are not trying to put him down.......but you are putting him down! If M1tch had fatally misdiagnosed the guy's swing then fair enough, but he only said he had a good swing......as did Bobmac. If you thought M1tch was doing something wrong why not PM him instead of posting in the forum?

Homer - having re-read this I feel a bot stupid.....I could of course have PMd you instead of posting on the forum! My bad :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed watching this and must congratulate you on making such a good start with your swing.

I spotted a few things that I really liked. Right arm at the top (good job!), general plane and a jolly good swoosh through the ball.

For me, the initial posture looks unsettled (as it does with newbies) but I admire your determination to keep a nice flex in your knees and get well balanced. It might just be me, but I'd say the weight was in your heels, you might like to try settling into the "balls" of your feet.

Lastly, as you swing back, you might find you can feel more "centred" over the ball by not moving quite as much onto your back (right) foot. Moving across to the right and back to the left is, of course, the tried and tested method of pivoting, but it's best not to get outside of the right foot. Better to imagine that your instep is firmly attached/secured to the ground and not rock onto the outside of your shoe. I was bad at this for ages and it became very obvious when the wear on my spikes was on the outside of the right shoe!!

Good job.....

I reckon a pro would love to help you with some basics, definitely double-check your grip.

Enjoy the forum.... :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
golfbug

Have no problem with anyone welcoming newbies onto the forum. Get them into the fold and posting is my motto. What I was getting at was "your swing looks fine" when the OP was clearly asking for a more detailed critique just seemed a tad pointless. It seems a standard reply he makes to all swings on here, good bad or indifferent. Purely an observation. Look at the post by didierchan as an example and then see what others said about the swing.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear.

I know nothing about golf Alphalogan, but I will tell you what I think anyway matey.

Welcome in and you have a better swing than me, and for someone just starting off in the game(cough cough at your age cough), I think its brill.
I can see you(with a little of the right help) winning a few seniors pretty dam soon with a swing like that...but what do I know?

Welcome. ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Please see - https://members.mydeo.com/myvideos.asp?MSGID=0

I am 69 and have just discovered golf!! I have now been playing with friends for about 3 months (once a week normally and sometimes twice - I try and get to the driving range one a week) and bought a set of Masters clubs as a beginner. I have had one lesson so far and will be interested in your comments on my swing which I carried out in my garden using one of my son's old training aids which is basically a golf ball on a piece of elastic.

Many thanks

Hiya, welcome to the forum...WHAT A SWING!! Lot's of positives about that, whoever gave you that lesson got you off to a great start! If you said that you used to play when you were 25 and you won the County Cup I would believe you!

Analysis:
You're second shot looked a lot better than the first.

On your first swing you moved a LONG way to your right - away from the ball, about 10 inches!. It was always going to be tricky from there to get back to the ball and hit it well.

On your second shot I can see that you didn't do that..you moved a bit but not much and hit it much better.

Try to keep that in mind as you swing... don't go too far to your right. 1, 2 or 3 inches instead of 10!!. Your shots will become more consistant with all your clubs and probably a bit more powerful as you won't be stuck way back there on your right side.

hope this helps..

Regards...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
However the ball was a golf ball that it attached to a length of cord (3 yards) which in turn is attached to a length of rubber which runs at right angles so you can hit the ball as hard as you like and provided you do it right it always returns to you.

Crikey! Watch that it doesn't take your eye out!! :p