EvnRoll putters

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But if RS gets sent every putter that comes out but still has the ER2 in his bag after almost 2 years that shows he uses it because it works for him, or he's getting paid to do so..otherwise he would change it every few weeks.
Note the bold bit!
And I agree with the rest.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They do not play competitive golf, so whatever free putter they have in their bag this week doesn't hold any weight with me. Obviously some people can't see through that and get swayed, which is why the pair get all their gear for free in the first place.
If I remember correctly, when TW was originally with Nike he was still playing an old Scoty putter, with the marking removed with a Ping putter grip that The logo was blacked out.
There is plenty of smoke and mirrors when it comes to players club labels and badges.

Sekiro

Visit site
They do not play competitive golf, so whatever free putter they have in their bag this week doesn't hold any weight with me. Obviously some people can't see through that and get swayed, which is why the pair get all their gear for free in the first place.

I think RS has had the putter in the bag for a while now, so if he does get sent every putter going for free he’s probably tried more than the rest of us and the ER2 is still in the bag. For me that holds more value than any Tour Pro who is under some sort of club deal so playing their contracted brand.

I know YouTube is something some use and some don’t (I quite like it for product reviews), and the golfing personalities are very much marmite (you’ll love or hate em) the only real way for OP to know if it’s a worthwhile investment for them is to get one and use it, if after an adjustment period they are sinking more puts, then it’s a win-win, if not it’s probably a lesson or two to see if it can be worked on, if still no good the great putter hunt continues.

Fabia999

Visit site

You think a youtuber with over a million subs has to sit at home and wait for a company to send him a putter? He could have any putter he wants, for free, anytime.

Gilmore Happy

Visit site
Surely to the average Golfer (most of their audience) the amount of comps that they play doesn't really matter? Its much more relatable than seeing a tour pro play with them, they just want to see a basic honest review of the clubs.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I remember correctly, when TW was originally with Nike he was still playing an old Scoty putter, with the marking removed with a Ping putter grip that The logo was blacked out.
There is plenty of smoke and mirrors when it comes to players club labels and badges.

Tiger used the blacked out Pingman putter grip, partly because he used a Ping with the same grip as an amateur. I don't think it was related to concealing the brand of putter.

Bearwood Lakes Pro Shop used to do the Evnroll putters, might still do, so those of you at the forthcoming event can take a look then.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger used the blacked out Pingman putter grip, partly because he used a Ping with the same grip as an amateur. I don't think it was related to concealing the brand of putter.

Bearwood Lakes Pro Shop used to do the Evnroll putters, might still do, so those of you at the forthcoming event can take a look then.
I don’t think Nike would have been too pleased with his putter having a Ping logo;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t think Nike would have been too pleased with his putter having a Ping logo;)

Well, he has putted most of his career with Scotty Camerons with Pingman, apart from the 1997 Masters which had a Cameron grip.

He used Nike between 2010 and 2016, also with his Pingman grip, although had a lot of injury downtime in that period.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh the world's best golfers must be stupid for throwing away so many shots then.

Well, the world's best golfers don't buy their putters in AG. They get fitted by the manufacturers, sometimes into putters which look like retail models but really aren't, and they get them adjusted to the nearest fraction of a gram or millimetre. Brands with a strong retail putter line will ask/encourage/pay contracted players to use the brand. Others, e.g. Mizuno, don't.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not quite correct, you make that sound like they just sign with a company and then go "Oh what have you got?".

The top players are generally a lot more independent than they used to be. Before committing to an equipment deal, they will have a look at what's available, what they want to play with, and individually negotiate the terms, eg how many and which clubs they will be using.
No player is going to be using a putter that he doesn't like just because he has an equipment deal, that would be career suicide.

Putters are not necessarily part of the starting contract, but once someone signs to Callaway, say, they soon get invited to visit Odyssey or Toulon and have a master craftsman fit them precisely and make a bespoke putter that takes the best features of their current flagstick, but improve it. Same for TM, Ping etc. Titleist players get a visit to Cameron where they are schmoozed and custom putters made for them. When McIlroy was looking to turn pro and sign a club deal, he got an invite to Cameron, and while he was there, who turned up to say hi but his hero Tiger Woods.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, exactly ?
That highlights my whole point, ie putters are very individual and personal, and any statement that one particular brand is "better" or "outperforms" another just can't be justified.

I thought your point was that a pro wouldn't necessarily use the club sponsor's putter. My point is that they do but also they kinda don't at the same time. They often appear with one that says TM or Odyssey on it, but in the WITB it also has the word 'prototype'.

Sekiro

Visit site
Not quite correct, you make that sound like they just sign with a company and then go "Oh what have you got?".

The top players are generally a lot more independent than they used to be. Before committing to an equipment deal, they will have a look at what's available, what they want to play with, and individually negotiate the terms, eg how many and which clubs they will be using.
No player is going to be using a putter that he doesn't like just because he has an equipment deal, that would be career suicide.

Thought Ping Staff had to use a Ping Putter as part of their club contract, no ifs or buts?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thought Ping Staff had to use a Ping Putter as part of their club contract, no ifs or buts?
Is that correct? I thought some players had a club contract with Ping and others but were still free to opt out for a putter of their choice. Is that not right with Ping. Is it a case of sign for us INCLUDING putter or don't sign at all.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that correct? I thought some players had a club contract with Ping and others but were still free to opt out for a putter of their choice. Is that not right with Ping. Is it a case of sign for us INCLUDING putter or don't sign at all.

Ping used to recruit players who played Ping at college or as an amateur. And they liked a full bag deal. In recent years they have signed a couple that didn't meet that, Fine was a Nike player and Holland a former Ping player who had gone to TM, but Hovland was Norwegian, so that helped. Hovland is on a 11 club deal.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all - not many places around stock them so finding it tough to get somewhere to have a roll with one....especially in current climate. That and a Toulon my favourites at the moment - their Las Vegas h7 is like the famous #7 but with a bit of toe hang. But as someone said, you don’t see many even rolls in bags at all...
Been using one for years and wouldn't change.

Had a wobble Feb when my eye got taken by the Toulons.

Went to a well known NW putting school, aligned to Odyssey, for a fitting with a coach from that school.

None of the Odyssey line could touch the numbers the Er2 produced, in terms of getting the ball rolling.

When you hit a putt the ball initially skids on its axis before finding its forward momentum and rolling end over end.

I cant remember the precise term for it but, across the range, the ER2 got the ball rolling true approx 40-50% quicker than any odyssey.

The fitter repeated these figures with his own, decidedly superior stroke.

The opinion of the fitter was that there's little tech on the Toulon to get the ball rolling, was more about feel and looks. The other hinge face things only got slightly closer to the ER2.

Blatantly admitted he couldn't sell me anything better than the ER2 and, given the numbers, the only reason to change would be for changes sake or if I had money burning.

The fitting was money well spent, and a real eye opener as I was pretty taken with the Toulon's.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an ER5.I was interested and the results after going on a Sam Putting Lab confirmed it would be a good move. I love using it. However, after trying and not getting on with using a line on my ball, I tried an Odyssey with Triple Track and Triple Track balls and it made a huge difference, so I have switched. Make of that what you will. I would have bet my house against it, but holes putts don’t lie.