European tour vs PGA tour

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the differences between the two tours and do you have a preference to which tour you follow/support?

It seems to me that over the years the 'European' tour is getting caught up in trying to emulate its American cousin and has created the race to Dubai etc to be able to compete financially and in marketing terms but is always seen as the 'lesser' tour.

Is it all simply about money or are the PGA and its players superior to the european tour?

I'm not sure I have a favourite tour now but I definitely prefer the Open to any other event as it has so much history and hasnt been 'Americanised' at all. Its golf in its purest form in my opinion.

I also think that the new handicap system seems to be bowing down and becoming 'Americanised' and it seems as tho we may lose our identity eventually.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I enjoy the European Tour and not sure I agree its trying to emulate the PGA by introducing the Race to Dubai. It'll always be a lesser tour in terms of the sheer size of purses and sponsorship deals but I feel the ET gives players a far better introduction to professional life. It does suffer by perhaps having too many smaller tournaments over too many countries but again, these give the lesser players a chance to earn some important cash towards keeping their card.

The PGA tour though is the main event where the top players play on a regular basis and so as a showcase for the best golfers in the world it can't be beaten. However I would like to see the type of courses varied more often and the WGC last week showed how a course could be set up to test players and produce an exciting spectacle without it needing to be target golf and a birdie festival

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Then its only really about money?

If the top 10 guys from the pga tour played 10 uk links courses in a row with all the european guys they most likely wouldnt be the top 10 after that.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I rarely watch European tour events on TV and normally always catch the back 9 of the PGA event on Sunday, this is more to do with timings rather than preference.

As for the tours themselves. I’m of the belief they should get their heads together and create a world wide tour that allows Europeans and those who prefer to play in Europe to keep doing so and vice versa. A global tour may attract larger sponsorship and more money to events to give European events a bit more parity with the US events.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yep, squarely in the camp of those who watch the pga, due to time difference. I sit down at 6.30 ish, may be 9 ish, and watch what is on.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I definitely watch more PGA tour due to timings as much as anything.

But I am usually most interested in an event when a European is up there and would def be less interested if it was just Americans in the event.

the PGA tour is definitely the bigger draw financially, but the ET has caught up a bit of ground in recent years & I think you may see through the summer the Rolex events with many big fields and top world players having multiple events over here, rather than just 1 event prior to the Open.

ET is also an important access point to many people in the game and these players do benefit from playing in more varied courses and conditions. Brooks Koepka being a successful American who played a few years on the ET (probably because he qualified through Q school & didn’t for the PGA tour).

D

Deleted member 15344

Depends on what event it is - work shifts so can watch the ET during the day but also watch the odd event at night - try and watch the WGC mainly and events where I know the course is going to be good to watch also depends on who is playing etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest I'll watch most golf on TV. I can't argue with Ademac's assessment that it all comes down to money but both tours are brands and a business and of course they look to turn a profit.

D

Deleted member 18588

Then its only really about money?

If the top 10 guys from the pga tour played 10 uk links courses in a row with all the european guys they most likely wouldnt be the top 10 after that.

Why?

How much experience of links courses do the top European players have?

I would suggest that it's little or no more than the top PGA players.

There's probably more variety of courses and conditions on the European Tour but the quality can sometimes be lacking.

Facilities for players are generally better on the PGA Tour as obviously are prize funds.

As for the quality of the players I don't think it's possible to compare as it's only possible to beat the players in the tournament in which you are playing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Shift worker here so I'm probably 50/50 split of what I watch.

Gotta be honest and say I prefer watching the European Tour, more variety of courses, weather conditions and better educated crowds.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Gotta be honest and say I prefer watching the European Tour, more variety of courses, weather conditions and better educated crowds.

I wouldn’t disagree about the variety of courses on the European Tour

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree on the last couple of sentences- courses also seem harder , more skill required ( not just birdie fest ) and definitely a more cultured educated respectful crowd

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why?

How much experience of links courses do the top European players have?

I would suggest that it's little or no more than the top PGA players.

There's probably more variety of courses and conditions on the European Tour but the quality can sometimes be lacking.

Facilities for players are generally better on the PGA Tour as obviously are prize funds.

As for the quality of the players I don't think it's possible to compare as it's only possible to beat the players in the tournament in which you are playing.

Because a lot of european tour players, mainly uk based, will have a lot of experience on links courses and would therefore give the top pga guys a run for their money.
I never said the 'top' european tour players as they will spend a lot of their time playing on both tours.

My statement was in answer to a previous reply about the pga tour players being the best etc. and I dont know if this would be the case if they were tested on different courses.

I think we have so much to offer and it gets overlooked for american golf or american style golf and it seems a huge shame to me.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The main difference is the European Tour is in effect a world tour when you consider the co-sanctioned events with the various tours around the world. It.s not just the courses but the whole experience of travel and playing in radically different environments.

There is much less variety on the PGA tour (yes I know they play in Mexico and Canada).

The money involved always means the best players play the PGA tour - similar to football and the premier league.

As to being more interesting - well to paraphrase Shane Warne when describing Monty Panesar - watching the 40 odd tournaments on the PGA tour is like watching the same tournament 40 odd times.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Because a lot of european tour players, mainly uk based, will have a lot of experience on links courses and would therefore give the top pga guys a run for their money.
I never said the 'top' european tour players as they will spend a lot of their time playing on both tours.

My statement was in answer to a previous reply about the pga tour players being the best etc. and I dont know if this would be the case if they were tested on different courses.

I think we have so much to offer and it gets overlooked for american golf or american style golf and it seems a huge shame to me.

Most major winners are us based arent they? That would imo give the impression that they're the better players.

I don't go along with the european courses being trickier either, if we accept that that generally the european tour has a lower calibre of player, certainly in the winter swing, then some of the scoure's under par suggest the courses can't be too tricky.

D

Deleted member 15344

But money talks I guess.

Money and climate talks - the best in the world aren’t going to come over on a regular basis to play courses that change dependent on the weather - they are going to continue to play the pristine US Parkland courses where there are millions to play for

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Most major winners are us based arent they? That would imo give the impression that they're the better players.

I don't go along with the european courses being trickier either, if we accept that that generally the european tour has a lower calibre of player, certainly in the winter swing, then some of the scoure's under par suggest the courses can't be too tricky.

Most, well three quarters of the majors are based in America so maybe that gives them an advantage?
If 3 of the 4 majors were in the uk on links courses do you think that would still be the case?
I'm not sure I would accept that the european tour has a lower calibre of player either.