European Team Championships - Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Wahooo!!

Now everyone can watch lots of of lower level stars play golf. Good on ya BBC you're doing your bit for golf again! :rolleyes:

Seriously ?! You have one thread on here with people whining and bleating that an event not being on the telly

And now that when people are going to be able to watch golf without having a pay a subscription you start bleating because it’s “lower level stars”

I suspect if it was on Sky the reaction would be slightly different

What hope is there with attitudes like that :rolleyes:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Seriously ?! You have one thread on here with people whining and bleating that an event not being on the telly

And now that when people are going to be able to watch golf without having a pay a subscription you start bleating because it’s “lower level stars”

I suspect if it was on Sky the reaction would be slightly different

What hope is there with attitudes like that :rolleyes:

Not at all, I pay a for a premium service to watch the best. I wouldn't pay for sky to watch non league football or this, Nor would millions of others i'd guess.

I would guess poeple aren't going to watch this in mass numbers, just because it's free, doesn't mean its good. Nobody grows up and names a challenge tour player as their inspiration to play.

I'd argue that i'm far less "pro sky" than you are "pro bbc/against sky). BBC had their shot at golf and binned it off, this is only shown by them as it's costing peanuts.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it depends entirely on who's going to be there - simples
Free or not, of there aren't many "names" ratings aren't guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not at all, I pay a for a premium service to watch the best. I wouldn't pay for sky to watch non league football or this, Nor would millions of others i'd guess.

I would guess poeple aren't going to watch this in mass numbers, just because it's free, doesn't mean its good. Nobody grows up and names a challenge tour player as their inspiration to play.

I'd argue that i'm far less "pro sky" than you are "pro bbc/against sky). BBC had their shot at golf and binned it off, this is only shown by them as it's costing peanuts.
There a lot of Lady European Tour members playing including one of the best the World has seen over the past two decades plus one of current best English ladies - this is a great chance for Ladies golf to be in the spotlight with them playing in a new event.

Guess too “non league” for you - don’t be surprised if a damn sight more people watch it than you think- hopefully a lot of fresh new eyes and not just the ones only interested in the “names”

Golf looking to get more people interested-

Golf trying new formats including mixed events

Golf being shown on terrestrial telly so anyone can watch it

Nothing but positive unless you are someone who has been spoilt in recent years and don’t give a stuff about the people that don’t have Sky

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends how much they will actually show, the article says 12 hours over all sports. Its great that it will be on, but if they only show a couple hours then its not really worth it.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was up playing on The Kings tonight and The PGA is looking good, lots of work going on to prep the course and the PGA is closed all week. Lots of work building the hospitality boxes for what should a great event and the place will be buzzing next week.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Clashes with the USPGA so you're not going to fill the Men's slots with big names....
€550,000 purse......no ranking points
2 million purse in Germany this week and there's hardly any well known players there.
No offence to them but Ritchie Ramsey, Ryan Evans and Micheal Hoey won't light too many fires.
There'll be some decent representation from the girls but, and with the greatest of respect to them, they're not going to jump the ratings much.
It doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There a lot of Lady European Tour members playing including one of the best the World has seen over the past two decades plus one of current best English ladies - this is a great chance for Ladies golf to be in the spotlight with them playing in a new event.

Guess too “non league” for you - don’t be surprised if a damn sight more people watch it than you think- hopefully a lot of fresh new eyes and not just the ones only interested in the “names”

Golf looking to get more people interested-

Golf trying new formats including mixed events

Golf being shown on terrestrial telly so anyone can watch it

Nothing but positive unless you are someone who has been spoilt in recent years and don’t give a stuff about the people that don’t have Sky

I watch the ladies golf quite often as it happens, good old sky show that too you see......

New formats have been trialed at comps this year, sixes etc. Imo any sport at the top level is successful based on how the top perform. Football, Tennis, Golf, Cricket. People want to watch the best. I genuinely hope the European tour guys show as they will have the pull for viewing figures. But imo this will be as successful as the other gimmicks so far. The fact that a few more have to opportunity to see it, won't imo have any impact on our sport.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry but it's a "funky" format like the Sixes event in Belgium which some criticised and are now trumpeting this as a great advance because it's on BBC, It will have poor viewing figures because the BBC simply don't care enough about golf and the event doesn't appear have any names likely to attract a casual viewer

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Hoping to take the wee fella to this on the Saturday or Sunday. He doesn't really have a clue who anyone is, except 'Tiger' so he isn't that fussed about who's hitting the ball. He just wants to know where it ends up.

He doesn't get much of a chance to watch golf as the US stuff is on too late and the European stuff is on when he's doing other sports or whatever.

Seeing it live he'll probably pee himself. Good cheap introduction to On-course tournament golf.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So two full days of play and haven't seen a single minute of it covered on the good old beeb - not even behind the red button! Hours and hours of swimming and athletics but barely even a mention of the golf.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So two full days of play and haven't seen a single minute of it covered on the good old beeb - not even behind the red button! Hours and hours of swimming and athletics but barely even a mention of the golf.

I think its getting shown from tomorrow, played up there today and was surprised by the size of the crowds and the club house was buzzing.

D

Deleted member 16999

BBC announced live coverage will be shown on friday, saturday and sunday, only.

From the article:
Fronted by Eilidh Barbour, the BBC’s golf coverage from Gleneagles will see live action across Friday, Saturday and Sunday with highlights from the first two days of play.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think its getting shown from tomorrow, played up there today and was surprised by the size of the crowds and the club house was buzzing.

Hope so. Swimming finished so they'll hopefully find some air time for the golf. So much for how great it is for the BBC to get some (non subscription) golf coverage!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not an event I can get excited about. Bit like the golf sixes and the Belgium event. While I admire the ET tour for trying to make golf more interesting as a viewing spectacle, I don't feel this event has longevity and with the field diluted by the top players being in the US not sure how it'll attract decent viewing numbers