European Super League

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see the point about support, but I do have a minor issue with profile, ie, how long should a Club “live” of its profile? Look at Utd in the 70’s & 80’s by their standard a rough period and included a relegation, they would probably of still had a large profile worldwide, would it of been fair for them to benefit from having that.

How many years have we gone without a trophy but still have a higher profile than some Clubs who have been succesful during the same period.

I dont get your point?

Its not I'm saying that the premier league give you more money if your have a higher profile, but if you self-generate large attendances, good sponsorship deals, shirt deals etc you should get to enjoy that money.

If Everton sell out BM and then upgrade it to 60K, enjoy the extra income, unless you think that half that money should go to, say Palace, who only play in front of 20K plus - to me thats going too far.

D

Deleted member 16999

I dont get your point?

Its not I'm saying that the premier league give you more money if your have a higher profile, but if you self-generate large attendances, good sponsorship deals, shirt deals etc you should get to enjoy that money.

If Everton sell out BM and then upgrade it to 60K, enjoy the extra income, unless you think that half that money should go to, say Palace, who only play in front of 20K plus - to me thats going too far.
Apologies, long day, I read profile as similar to what the CL are doing, given teams credit for their history, hence only agreeing about support.

It’ll be impossible as you say to level everything, but could possibly limit what the extra revenue could be spent on as there’s no way a Bmouth or similar could compete with a Man Utd etc.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies, long day, I read profile as similar to what the CL are doing, given teams credit for their history, hence only agreeing about support.

It’ll be impossible as you say to level everything, but could possibly limit what the extra revenue could be spent on as there’s no way a Bmouth or similar could compete with a Man Utd etc.

Agreed, top teams shouldnt get a free pass at anything, and one of the "saviours of football - Uefa, are now putting this in as an option for the new format for the CL. Its wrong.

Level up some of it, not all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
OOI....... Are any clubs in the top two English leagues fan owned ?
It would not be financially viable for that to happen. The turnover to run a club at those levels is scary. It sounds a great idea but the practicalities of it is unrealistic.

Edit, just for interest I googled the turnover of Luton Town, pretty unglamorous club, not one of the biggies in the championship. £8.2m in 2020. Derby county, £30m. I've avoided clubs getting parachute payments. Go up to the PL and you can add £120m to those figures, Watford's turnover in 2019 was £148m for example, again deliberately not choosing a 'big' club.

Turnover doesn't equal value of course but locals having a whip round isn't going to cut it at that level.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

OOI....... Are any clubs in the top two English leagues fan owned ?

Wycombe might still be owned by fans but it’s an unrealistic model within the premier league and championship

There is a far too big level of finances available to fans to own those level of clubs

We will never get to a stage where fans own clubs or even the german model ( which is full of holes and one club dominates ) but you would hope that fans groups within all the clubs are involved significantly

But there is a lot that needs to be sorted out within the game

Racism and social media attacks - if only there was the same reaction from the governing bodies but I guess someone being abused online doesn’t affect the income to UEFA

Money filtering down

Clubs want to get into the CL - not to win it mainly not to get the level of money that comes with that , that money needs to distributed a little more

The Pyramid- lots of talk about protecting the pyramid but did the Prem clubs help out the likes of Bury or any league club during the pandemic - nope they spent around £1bn on players

The whole week has been full of hypocrisy from many angles and indeed clubs

The fans have been together but will they be happy when it comes to the summer and their club isn’t signing big money players because the money is more evenly distributed around ? We will see

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It would not be financially viable for that to happen. The turnover to run a club at those levels is scary. It sounds a great idea but the practicalities of it is unrealistic.

Edit, just for interest I googled the turnover of Luton Town, pretty unglamorous club, not one of the biggies in the championship. £8.2m in 2020. Derby county, £30m. I've avoided clubs getting parachute payments. Go up to the PL and you can add £120m to those figures, Watford's turnover in 2019 was £148m for example, again deliberately not choosing a 'big' club.

Turnover doesn't equal value of course but locals having a whip round isn't going to cut it at that level.

Bayern are 75% fan owned and seem to be doing OK.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Wycombe might still be owned by fans but it’s an unrealistic model within the premier league and championship

Incorrect , as of Feb 2020 the American Businessman Rob Couhig owns a majority shareholding with him and his 2 sons making up 3 of the 5 directors.

but they were fan owned for several years

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a lot more complicated than that - members own one of the companies that hold a stake in the whole sports franchise with Adidas and other companies

The company which owns 75% has about 3000 members I believe it is

They also do ok because of the huge levels of revenues they attract

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's slightly simplistic. Can you imagine what it would cost each fan if you started that today?

Burnley were sold at the end of 2020 in a deal worth approx £200m. That's Burnley with limited commercial possibilities. How are fans going to buy into that?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Clubs currently have debts that need servicing. If income is limited, e.g. every club got an equal share of Sky money, some will go bust. But if you have an end goal of equal shares and limited spending, give the clubs a 5(?) year time frame to achieve a different business model.

Transfer spending; I'd be tempted to limit it to £XXX million, but also limit it to 3 players bought a season. If one club wants to blow its £100m on one player, crack on. But if the transfer limit is £100m and 3 players, another club might buy 1 player at £40m and 2 players at £30m.

Salaries; similarly I'd go for a club limit based on income. If a club wants to pay x player £500k a week, crack on. But if their weekly salary limit is £5m, they've got £4.5m to spread across the rest of the squad.

Owners wanting to invest in a club; make it a multiple of the club's income. No more fairy tale sugar daddies buying a club for pennies and throwing £500m at the transfer budget. But if the new owner wants to throw £500m at a new stadium, why not. If the new owner is looking to 'loan' a club money, the loan must be serviceable by its current income, and the loan doesn't have an instant clawback clause if the owner sells up.

There's wiser men than us that could put together a better plan but it needs to be at least Europe wide - imagine if it only applied to the football in the UK, and Europe continued with its mega spending = no more British clubs winning the CL.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surprised to see Wycombe as a English Championship team, is it their first season [straight up/down.]
Motherwell and Hearts [any day now for ownership and membership] are two Scottish Premier teams in fan ownership.
Looks like it is working quite well for the two teams. Hearts fans are contributing £120k a month under their pledge scheme.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I heard Jamie Redknapp channeling his inner Gary Neville after the Carabao Cup Final. Much as some of Neville's ranting annoyed me, he obviously put a degree more thought into it than Neville. Interesting to hear Jamie having a go at the owners for lining their pockets at fans' expense, especially after receiving an email from the club confirming that my season ticket will be the same price as it was in 2011-12. Thank you Roman.

Wonder if any of these owners have a bank account in their dog's name... :unsure:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I heard Jamie Redknapp channeling his inner Gary Neville after the Carabao Cup Final. Much as some of Neville's ranting annoyed me, he obviously put a degree more thought into it than Neville. Interesting to hear Jamie having a go at the owners for lining their pockets at fans' expense, especially after receiving an email from the club confirming that my season ticket will be the same price as it was in 2011-12. Thank you Roman.

Wonder if any of these owners have a bank account in their dog's name... :unsure:
Bet you Fido Abramovitc has a few Bob.
Can’t blame him for his dad taking the piss.;)