European Ryder Cup wildcard selction process confimed

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Just had this press release from the tour. I think it's a good move, what do others think?

The qualification process for Europe’s 2010 Ryder Cup Team has been announced following a meeting of The European Tour’s Tournament Players Committee.

After discussion with Europe’s 2010 Captain, Colin Montgomerie, it was decided that the leading four players from The Ryder Cup World Points List would be joined by the leading five players, not otherwise qualified (having selected the four players from The Ryder Cup World Points List) from The Ryder Cup European Points List in automatically qualifying for Europe’s 2010 Ryder Cup Team at the end of the qualification period.

Those nine players will then be joined by three Captain’s Picks to make up the 12-man Team to take on the USA over The Twenty Ten Course at The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport, Wales, from October 1-3, 2010.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At least there was a compromise and Monty gets an extra pick. To be fair I think we'll have a pretty good team whatever. I actually thought the last team was good enough and only lost because America holed some ridiculous shots at key times on the final day.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I think its a fantastic move in truth.

The captain previously having only 2 wild card picks was a bit rubbish really wasnt it?

Azinger made it count last year, lets hope Monty makes it count next year!!

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well its a move in the right direction for me. 3 wildcards sounds about right but I would have preferred the 5 from the world rankings and 4 from the euro tour rankings.

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had this press release from the tour. I think it's a good move, what do others think?

The qualification process for Europe’s 2010 Ryder Cup Team has been announced following a meeting of The European Tour’s Tournament Players Committee.

After discussion with Europe’s 2010 Captain, Colin Montgomerie, it was decided that the leading four players from The Ryder Cup World Points List would be joined by the leading five players, not otherwise qualified (having selected the four players from The Ryder Cup World Points List) from The Ryder Cup European Points List in automatically qualifying for Europe’s 2010 Ryder Cup Team at the end of the qualification period.

Those nine players will then be joined by three Captain’s Picks to make up the 12-man Team to take on the USA over The Twenty Ten Course at The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport, Wales, from October 1-3, 2010.

As Monty wanted 4 its a compromise, and a fair one at that.....Had he been given the 4 picks the qualifiers from the European Tour would have been reduced, potentially weakening the tour.
that said the best option for the Ryder Cup would be 12 picks, the best for the Tour would be the top 12 European Tour leaders.

So yes i think 3 is the right number........

GRAEMBO

Assistant Pro
Visit site
how many wildcards does the american captain get?

i thought they were poor last year, Faldo? was slated for picking Poults and he was immense....if only we had a few other performers!!

T

thecraw

I think 12 picks is the way forward.

In which case all the best European golfers go to play the PGA tour, both destroying the European Tour and weakening the Ryder Cup......

I think your missing a little factor called a global credit crunch which has had more than a little impact on the fatcat gravy train that is the USPGA Tour!

Given the fact that the oil rich Arabs are funding the "Race to Dubai" (now the richest tournament in World Golf) which has hooked the $$$ chasers like Kim and Ogilvy etc I cant see too many people jumping Tours any time soom!!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A reasonable compromise between Montys preferred choice and last years system.

Captains picks only work if the picks prove to be the right picks.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As Monty wanted 4 its a compromise,

Monty only wanted 3 picks, but he knew if he asked for 3 he'd have a fight on his hands.

Ask for 4 and grudgingly accept the easy offer of 3.

Proves he's already thinking in the right way.

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As Monty wanted 4 its a compromise,

Monty only wanted 3 picks, but he knew if he asked for 3 he'd have a fight on his hands.

Ask for 4 and grudgingly accept the easy offer of 3.

Proves he's already thinking in the right way.

Is that right? Well fair play to him...........and what on earth are you doing still posting at 03:11 a.m.????? ;-)

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Perfect solution in my mind. Rock on Monty.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Why isn't it a case of selecting the 9 best Europeans from the World Golf Rankings, and then 3 picks.

Or why not the best 12 Europeans on the World Rankings ?

I don't see why they shouldn't use that format. Currently the top 12 are :

Sergio
Stenson
Casey
Padraig
Karlsson
Westwood
Poulter
McIlroy
Donald
Quiros
Jiminez
Rose

v

Woods
Mickelson
Perry
O'Hair
Stricker
Furyk
Kim
Cink
Z Johnson
Leonard
Watney
Curtis

Sounds like a good 12 v 12 don't you think ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why isn't it a case of selecting the 9 best Europeans from the World Golf Rankings, and then 3 picks.

Or why not the best 12 Europeans on the World Rankings ?

Just because you are in the top 12 Europeans in the World rankings doesn't actually mean you are playing well at the moment. Karlsson springs to mind - what's he done this season so far? His ranking is based on last year's deeds.

One of the papers showed some stats - not sure of the actual numbers but you'll get the idea.

In the last 3 cups, the picks have picked up something like 70% of the points available to them but the last 2 qualifiers have only picked up around 30%.

So 4 picks - eliminate the 9th and 10th qualifiers. They tend to have earned their place months before.
Works for me.......