Etiquette question

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
"Sir" and "Mr Captain"??????????????????

Feck me, you're having a laugh aren't you?
If somebody "expected" me to call them either of those titles on the way round I'd chuck this game in
I'm all for etiquette but that's extracting the urine

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"Sir" and "Mr Captain"??????????????????

Feck me, you're having a laugh aren't you?
If somebody "expected" me to call them either of those titles on the way round I'd chuck this game in
I'm all for etiquette but that's extracting the urine

I don't think any of our captains would expect to be called Mr Captain or Sir. If they did, I wouldn't.

It's just more a bit of fun coupled with a bit of tradition. At our place, it is a semi-mocking term of address. No-one takes it seriously - least of all the Captain.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I don't think any of our captains would expect to be called Mr Captain or Sir. If they did, I wouldn't.

It's just more a bit of fun coupled with a bit of tradition. At our place, it is a semi-mocking term of address. No-one takes it seriously - least of all the Captain.

I'm our Captain in less than a month and folk can call me whatever they like - just like they do now!! I'll answer to most things. I couldn't imagine how anyone who is Captain would be offended to be addressed by their name unless they were very much "up themselves".

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
It's normal at our club to address the Captain as "Mr Captain" on meeting for the first time and on the 1st tee at the Captains Day competition. After that it's preferred name. It's normal etiquette. Obviously not everyone observes this, but saying that, nobody is put on a charge for not doing so!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm playing in a fourball tomorrow with the club captain and the Rabbit's captain. Do I refer to the captain as Mr Captain all day or just the 1st time I addrsss him ?

Depends whether or not he looks like this

5200_gall_001.jpg

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It was Mr. Captain on the first handshake and then first name terms. Good bloke, good company in the fourball and the bar after, just [****] weather :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We stand up and salute when our Captain enters the bar. He hates it. Winds him up every time. He's a member of our swindle, so deserves every bit of mickey taking.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
call me sir and I'll be looking behind me to see who you're talking to.

I gave up that sir stuff when I left the navy.

they have a name - use it (and if they introduce themselves as Mr and don't offer a christian name I'd think twice about playing with them)

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
address them as Mr Captin? are you kiddin? this is a golf club not the army. get yourself out of their arse and stop boot licking before you come down with cherry blossom poisoning.

first name plane and simple.

THIS ^^

CANT STAND POMPOUS PEOPLE

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
AH, the game of golf really is going down the swanee isn't it. Footie shirts, cargo pants, trainers and jeans in clubhouses. The Captain is Mr Captain it is tradition of our fine game. A lot of traditions are being washed over too easily. No one is asking anyone to lick anyones backsides. It is golfing tradition that is all and should remain as so. I'm working class, but I understand and respect our traditions and am happy to try to uphold them where practical to do so.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
AH, the game of golf really is going down the swanee isn't it. Footie shirts, cargo pants, trainers and jeans in clubhouses. The Captain is Mr Captain it is tradition of our fine game. A lot of traditions are being washed over too easily. No one is asking anyone to lick anyones backsides. It is golfing tradition that is all and should remain as so. I'm working class, but I understand and respect our traditions and am happy to try to uphold them where practical to do so.

then do you agree with women playing golf?
i am one for traditions but things change and tradtions in some cases have no place in a modern world

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

still touch the forelock too?
oh for the days of the droit de seigneur

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

then do you agree with women playing golf?
Certainly not, it's not traditional besides who's making the dinner?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

still touch the forelock too?
oh for the days of the droit de seigneur
Kid's still call teacher Sir or Miss, where's the difference? It is just traditional not a sign of subservience.