Etiquette on watching other groups take shots?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, what it says in the strap line really.
Played today, on my own, had a two ball in front and another two lads behind. Plenty of hanging around on the tees, so was keen to turn around and watch the guys behind take their shots onto the green or, on the par 3s, their tee shots. They know I'm watching and I'm wary of putting pressure on them, so just wondered if there was a protocol for this. As a high handicapper I know how much tougher the first tee can be when there are half a dozen people behind.
I'm normally happy to join another group but these lads were 30 years younger and I sensed they wouldn't want an old duffer joining them, so that's why I didn't ask on this occasion.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I don't care if someone watches me hit a shot. As long as they aren't a distraction (i.e. talking / moving or directly in my line of sight - as others have said). I played through a few groups of people a couple of weeks ago. Topped one off the tee on the 8th, into the water, then smashed my 3rd down the fairway. Hit a lovely 4 iron into the 10th green after being let through and ended up in the first cut of rough on the 11th after being let through again.

But my playing partner hates it. Despite hitting great shots on all 3 holes (right down the middle on the 8th, finished just short of the green on the 10th and matched my shot on the 11th). He hates the pressure of random people watching.

I think it is difficult for people who have just taken up the game. I used to rush round a course to prevent people catching up to me (probably did this for the first few months of playing golf). So maybe the etiquette is to judge who you think you are watching. If they are visibly nervous, maybe don't watch. If they appear to be fine and hit good shots, maybe feel free?

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a beginner I am actually somewhat more comfortable with people watching, that way when (or before) I have to yell fore they know if they are at risk!! Also it is helpful when someone had eyes on where I buried the ball in the rough.