Equipment prices

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Not in the last 15 - 20 years!
Sorry, didn't see that proviso.

So no, as far as I can tell.

No major changes to shafts in the last 15-20 years compared with previous decades: 1920s/30s change from wood to steel, 1970s/80s carbon shafts become popular.
So perhaps we are due another innovation? I have no idea what that might be.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, didn't see that proviso.

So no, as far as I can tell.

No major changes to shafts in the last 15-20 years compared with previous decades: 1920s/30s change from wood to steel, 1970s/80s carbon shafts become popular.
So perhaps we are due another innovation? I have no idea what that might be.

Interesting, thank you!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a lot of existing golfers out there - pretty sure very few of the guys I know / play with will consider going outside 'known' brands at premium prices when they change. However, I think beginners and people new to the game absolutely would so there may be a market for everyone.

The big thing is, for example, if the senior in our fourball bought a set of the new cheaper generation clubs and things improved for him, others at the club would soon follow. It happens at our place all the time - whispers of someone with a new club or set doing amazing things and the next thing you know, others have changed! Slightly different, last year a guy of 2 hcp bought a 'premium' new driver, story was he was now so accurate and far of the tee he was flicking wedges and short irons into long par 4s and 5s. Within weeks plenty of lads had the same club but not the same success.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can find the centre of the club more often than not … these big clubs haven’t really given you that much benefit.. the ball on the other hand has ..

I’m a bit confused, I thought your original point was there was no real improvement in clubs since big headed titanium drivers and the ping eye 2? That it’s all the ball?

But now I think you’re saying there are big improvements in forgiveness that will benefit basically everyone?

Not trying to be a pain in the bottom, just confused as to what your view is.

Edit: re read what you said, you were saying no major distance gains in a while. Those are attributable to the ball. But when it comes to forgiveness, are you saying there are improvements? That’s what I’m reading anyway ?

Last edited:

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread. Owing to some life changes (girlfriend moving in) just today I offloaded some used clubs whose shafts are now too flexible for me at Second Swing in Scottsdale, Arizona. Got $1,000 in store credit. Purchased an unhit TM Sim Driver, and only store used TM Sim 5 Wood, 4 and 5 Hybrid and a Callaway PM 56 degree wedge and popped on my choice of Golf Pride grips and out the door I went. This seemed reasonable to me at basically $200 a club for clubs that cost far more brand new.

But the irons I still use are Callaway BB from 2002 (just happen to like them and hit them well.)

In AZ you do not have to pay sales tax (8%) on used goods.

So my question is, why you are guys paying VAT at 20%? "Just say No. I am not going to pay it. It is totally ridiculous." Reminds me of why I left the UK in the first place twenty years ago when it was only 17.5%. Pay cash for it and start creating an economy where an overbearing Government is not going to fleece you every time you make a purchase.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Intentional evasion of VAT is a criminal offence under section 72 (1) of the Value Added Tax Act 1994. It is a serious offence carrying a possible prison sentence of 7 years. Charges can also be brought under the Fraud Act 2006. Separately, HMRC will conduct its own investigations and impose penalties under the civil evasion penalty regime.

We have a great tax system that pays for things like the NHS.
Those who can afford to buy golf clubs contribute a small amount. Those who are not able to afford golf clubs are obviously not having to contribute as much.
Fair?
I think so.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting thread. Owing to some life changes (girlfriend moving in) just today I offloaded some used clubs whose shafts are now too flexible for me at Second Swing in Scottsdale, Arizona. Got $1,000 in store credit. Purchased an unhit TM Sim Driver, and only store used TM Sim 5 Wood, 4 and 5 Hybrid and a Callaway PM 56 degree wedge and popped on my choice of Golf Pride grips and out the door I went. This seemed reasonable to me at basically $200 a club for clubs that cost far more brand new.

But the irons I still use are Callaway BB from 2002 (just happen to like them and hit them well.)

In AZ you do not have to pay sales tax (8%) on used goods.

So my question is, why you are guys paying VAT at 20%? "Just say No. I am not going to pay it. It is totally ridiculous." Reminds me of why I left the UK in the first place twenty years ago when it was only 17.5%. Pay cash for it and start creating an economy where an overbearing Government is not going to fleece you every time you make a purchase.

If I remember correctly the vat rate of 20% was set by the EU, and they forced us to put up our then 17.5% to their 20% on pain of being taken to court if we didn't . It's very difficult to tell the assistant in American Golf that you are not willing to pay the VAT on a new set of irons, they tend to not want to go to prison!

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
20% is way too much to pay though. Maybe I am too far removed from UK culture to relate to that these days. But if you did not have to pay tax on used goods, wouldn't there be a healthier used market at more reasonable prices so people can get into the game more affordably? That said, I did see Rick Shiels do a video on a 70GBP half set of Slazenger Clubs that even included a bag and a tour pro shot even par with them for 9 holes. Never even knew Slazenger was still a company but have good memories of the B51 irons from the 1980's - I assume it is more of a ghost brand these days in the UK?

sunshine

Visit site
Like I said if you can’t hit the ball off the middle then yes you get a benefit. The tour pros have no real need for these big heads

Yet all the tour pros now use a driver with the largest head legally possible. So there must be a benefit.

I remember 15-20 years ago, when driver head sizes were increasing, that tour players didn't jump to the largest head. Taylormade brought out the R300 series, which had 300, 320 and 360 cc heads, and the pros mainly used the 300 and 320. But that was 15-20 years ago, technology has moved forward and 460cc is obviously better for pros and hackers alike.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yet all the tour pros now use a driver with the largest head legally possible. So there must be a benefit.

I remember 15-20 years ago, when driver head sizes were increasing, that tour players didn't jump to the largest head. Taylormade brought out the R300 series, which had 300, 320 and 360 cc heads, and the pros mainly used the 300 and 320. But that was 15-20 years ago, technology has moved forward and 460cc is obviously better for pros and hackers alike.
From memory, that WAS TM's initial release of 'oversize' heads (I went straight to the 360, though not retail/immediately). So while Pros played the heads they were used tom I'm certain they would have been 'testing' the larger heads - and breaking quite a few of them from reports I remember from those days.