Energy company gone bust

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Why would you build up that much credit? We run my mother in laws account and she massively overpays due to worrying about being cut off in winter due to higher bills. We tell her she could turn everything on all day and not get anywhere near running out of credit but she won't listen. It may be an older generation thing, not sure.
That’ll get wiped out over winter, I prefer to pay a flat rate over the year.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Octupus energy just emailed me invite to their new electric car tariff if I want to switch

5p at night still but 2 hours longer 23:30-05:30

However their day rate goes from 14p to 24p .. so I will see out my fixed!

Their standard car tariff is 4 hours at 5p rest at 14p

Mines 5.5p for 5 hours and 14p the rest so I'll pay the tiny bit more at night in the hope that by Feb it's stabilised the market and dropped again

Best thing about them is no fee to move .. so say Feb I'll sign up to another go tariff and it's 24p.. if they release new one at 15p again I can instantly move no cost

Best energy company imo

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for that link, really useful.

I have been fighting with Avro since January when they doubled my Mum's DD. I tried to leave and they blocked it. Finally managed it two weeks before they went belly up (to Pure Planet) and the robbing gits still took the Direct Debit even after the supply had moved. Chellie's link shows she is £500 in credit. Apparently I have to wait for it all to wash through the system, but my expectations of success are low.

My own provider (Eon) has just told me I need to send them £260 and up my DD by £20 per month, even though I am only £20 in Debit - ostensibly to cover the larger use coming in Winter. Chasing cash me thinks.

You can't make this stuff up. Pure Planet, that I moved Mum's account to, has today gone belly up. Think I will stop the Direct Debit and wait for the dust to settle. Sigh.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can't make this stuff up. Pure Planet, that I moved Mum's account to, has today gone belly up. Think I will stop the Direct Debit and wait for the dust to settle. Sigh.

Is that the one backed by BP? Disgusting that their gone. Can clearly afford to take the strain but just cut their loses and left people out of pocket

Standard

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Octupus emailed me as my gas tariff is due soon

Their current for electric 40p .. 22p night
Gas 10p

Their loyal customer offer ...

Electric 28p then 15p night
Gas 7p

The variable tariff 4p (gas) I'll let it switch to that then

They invited me last week to their new car tariff .. 24p day 5p night .. I would switch if it was now but they confirmed my electric is fixed until Feb and they hope the price goes down by then

What a mental world we living in.. from 15 to 40p .. no wonder companies are folding

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not really on the original topic, but maybe fits better here than random irritations.
Email from energy company saying they predict a big shortfall and recommend increasing the direct debit from 60 to 98!

Don't quite agree with their maths, but that's their perogative, also ignores how much in credit the account is currently.

Thought I'd increase the DD a little, but the charlatans have set the DD update screen to only accept the value 98 and over! Very poor behaviour IMO.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really on the original topic, but maybe fits better here than random irritations.
Email from energy company saying they predict a big shortfall and recommend increasing the direct debit from 60 to 98!

Don't quite agree with their maths, but that's their perogative, also ignores how much in credit the account is currently.

Thought I'd increase the DD a little, but the charlatans have set the DD update screen to only accept the value 98 and over! Very poor behaviour IMO.

I've had that before where I don't agree with the maths and their auto systems only will accept over more than I'm willing

Just call them normally their pretty decent at setting an amount you want then will say we will look for cash if your short

I was never short lol ?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been forced back to British Gas (who I left years ago following a litany of their errors) as People’s Energy ceased trading.

With People’s Energy we were requested monthly to submit meter readings, and they then produced a statement (not bill) that showed whether you were in credit or debt.

However, they still spread your annual expected payment out over a year into 12 equal payments. I do not understand why each month they don’t let me pay, by direct debit, the actual amount I owe for that month and avoid the credit/debt issue. I’d pay more in winter and less in summer. That would be fine.

Phone companies bill monthly for what you actually use, with the direct debit varying each month. As do credit card companies. So why not utilities?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve been forced back to British Gas (who I left years ago following a litany of their errors) as People’s Energy ceased trading.

With People’s Energy we were requested monthly to submit meter readings, and they then produced a statement (not bill) that showed whether you were in credit or debt.

However, they still spread your annual expected payment out over a year into 12 equal payments. I do not understand why each month they don’t let me pay, by direct debit, the actual amount I owe for that month and avoid the credit/debt issue. I’d pay more in winter and less in summer. That would be fine.

Phone companies bill monthly for what you actually use, with the direct debit varying each month. As do credit card companies. So why not utilities?
Some do have such tariffs.
But many other types of organisations (eg insurance, golf subs, council tax ...) have even-value monthly direct debits if not paying annually

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Some do have such tariffs.
But many other types of organisations (eg insurance, golf subs, council tax ...) have even-value monthly direct debits if not paying annually

Yes - those examples you gave are all fixed costs known in advance so the payment can be spread evenly with no risk of accumulated credit or debt.

Utility costs are variable, especially significantly so over the last 18 months as we are all at home in a significantly different pattern to normal.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Because it suits you and your circumstances

However less well off people couldn't afford the extra in the winter

Where as say £100 pm budgeted for is affordable

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Because it suits you and your circumstances

However less well off people couldn't afford the extra in the winter

Where as say £100 pm budgeted for is affordable

That’s a fair point. It is unfortunate that the predicted usage in which payments are based seems to be done very poorly, and, as usual, the low paid and the less well off are those who suffer the most.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes - those examples you gave are all fixed costs known in advance so the payment can be spread evenly with no risk of accumulated credit or debt.

Utility costs are variable, especially significantly so over the last 18 months as we are all at home in a significantly different pattern to normal.
My water rates are a fixed monthly figure.
I'm by no means 'hard up' but I find it easier to budget with all costs I have no direct control over (hot or cold seasons, very dry weather) fixed every month.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s a fair point. It is unfortunate that the predicted usage in which payments are based seems to be done very poorly, and, as usual, the low paid and the less well off are those who suffer the most.

Agreed , I can see why they do it. They would rather you overpay then not have to give them more money another time

Years ago npower refunded me £300 because I was in credit .. I kept it in the bank as I knew they would want it back. Sure enough winter came and I got a bill for £300

Baffling at times

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My water rates are a fixed monthly figure.
I'm by no means 'hard up' but I find it easier to budget with all costs I have no direct control over (hot or cold seasons, very dry weather) fixed every month.

Water rates! Those clowns. Every 6 months my amount changes

Went from £49. To £51 back down to £49 lol back up to £51 again

Just call it £50 and leave it for crying out loud