Responding to subscription and gift posts

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People have a choice as in all walks of life. If they do not like waht is on offer go somewhere else.

I find it an excellent read and swop each month with my mate who buys a rival Mag. It takes about 50% of the time to read his as opposed to GM

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I subscribe to Golf Digest, the US magazine. Good value subscription, and in the last month they have just thrown in a free iPad/tablet version of the magazine too, which is excellent and has some extra content. In contrast, GM charge extra for the tablet version. Should this not be free for print subscribers?

Interesting, I'd be more inclined to subscribe to the iPad version, think I need to search the app store.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning all

Interesting to read the comments – just want to follow up on a few specific queries

Chris661
I have had a non answer before Mike maybe you could clarify why it is cheaper to subscribe in the US than Ireland?

I agree the subscription price in ROI is v expensive. It is of course more expensive postage wise to send to ROI (goes airmail) vs UK and NI but I think its just been lumped in with all other European countries, I will ask the subs department to look into pricing again.
One option now available to bypass this is taking a digital subscription for PC MAC or iPad that saves you 40% off the normal cover price. One thing to note is that you don’t get the gifts with the digital subscription but it is a lot more cost effective for overseas subscribers
http://gb.zinio.com/browse/publications/index.jsp?productId=500216268&categoryId=cat1960028

Ethan
I subscribe to Golf Digest, the US magazine. Good value subscription, and in the last month they have just thrown in a free iPad/tablet version of the magazine too, which is excellent and has some extra content. In contrast, GM charges extra for the tablet version. Should this not be free for print subscribers?

There are a few issues at play here. The main one is that US mags run on a completely different businesses model to UK. Over 90% of their readers are subscribers (we are pretty much 50/50 subscribers to newstrade). They do that for two reasons. First is logistical. Its much more cost effective to be sending copies to subscribers (of which you know exactly how many you have) than to be printing loads of copies (rule of thumb is you print 2 for every 1 you sell) and then distributing copies all over the US would be v expensive. To make it a no brainier to subscribe they price a US annual subscription at just $15! That’s $1.25 an for print only (current deal on their site shows it at $1.67 for print and iPad so not free but only a v small increase)

The second issue is that they make it so cheap to subscribe in order to get their circulation figure as high as possible so they can charge high advertising rates as ad rates are based on circulation. That’s why you see so many ads in likes of Digest and GOLF for cars, watches, financial products, pharmaceutical drugs and not so many for golf manufactures as in UK mags as bar the big boys they cant afford the ad rates.

They are basically trying to replicate that model for iPad by driving high user numbers by giving it away for free/nominal amount and they will make their money through ad revenue.

This is possible to do when you have your own app and control pricing (although Apple sets pricing for non subscribers who have to pay £2.99 per single issue). At present GM uses Zinio to distribute our iPad edition through their app and they charge us for that so hence why we have to charge.

If we could move out to our own app (which we are looking at but v expensive developer costs) then it would be my own personal view that we should price a single digital issue around the £2.99 mark (a big saving on single issue newsstand cost) and then offer a digital subscription at under £30 and a combined print and digital subscription at around £37 mark.

All a bit hypothetical at the moment but my view is that we shouldn’t give iPad content away free as I put a value on the time and resources required to produce all the multimedia content.

FaldosJumper
Interesting, I'd be more inclined to subscribe to the iPad version, think I need to search the app store.

We are not currently in the app store as 'Golf Monthly'. You will need to download the FREE Zinio app (Zinio are our digital partner) and then make in app purchases of individual issues or 13-issue subscription.

It’s the same price as digital issue for MAC and PC £3.99 but if you have an iPad then you get all the bonus multi-media content.

Sorry for the long winded reply – hope its of some interest

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As Toon Army said, the reality is that if you can be bothered to make the effort you could decide not to not renew your current subscription and then take out a new one thereby benefiting from the current new subscriber offer.

And IPC and the Bank incur the admin costs for setting up the new instruction - how does this make sense? This leg work just seems to be making work and creating costs where they are not needed.

My view is that expecting to get a dozen premium balls or a discount over and above 20% off the cover price every time you renew your subscription is simply unrealistic.

Just to clarify yet again, I agree with you as I never said that renewals should get a gift.

I guess the bottom line is that if you don't feel that...represents a good package then we, as a business, can't match your expectations as a customer. The end result is that you won’t renew.

Really? Are my expectations so high? My only expectation is not to pay more than a new subscriber. I don't dispute it is a reasonable package. I do dispute the model that says new subscribers get the best rate and a gift while renewals watch their annual rate steadily increase. I'll re-use the analogy from the thread:

You joined a golf club years ago. Your renewal for your membership is £426, a slight increase on last year.

You then see that new members can join for £399 and also get a dozen balls from the pro shop. On top of this, you as an existing member can leave the club and re-join as a new member and get the offer.

Aside from the fact that you run the risk of all members leaving and re-joining at a high cost to your business (as well as the risk of some of them not coming back), you create unnecessary administration to process all this.

Surely it is just easier to say that new members get some sort of welcome, but that renewals must always be as cheap, if not cheaper, than new members?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I subscribe to Golf Digest, the US magazine. Good value subscription, and in the last month they have just thrown in a free iPad/tablet version of the magazine too, which is excellent and has some extra content. In contrast, GM charge extra for the tablet version. Should this not be free for print subscribers?

Follow Mike's instructions to get it, but I can't recommend it enough. It's brilliant aside from not getting any of the "free gifts" but it's cheaper and alot more convenient for me as I don't have piles and pile of Mags lying around at home.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look when I get home. Would prefer it to be cheaper though

FaldosJumper - just out of interest why do you think it should be even cheaper than £3.99? Just keen to get feedback and views on digital editions

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally agree with teh mrketing strategy of offering new-subscribers the 'deal' - standard practice out in teh market.
I do feel that GM offers return customers a lot over the piece - doesn't feel as tangible as the Bunkered deal - but I think that GM is a better overall package (2-4-1 vouchers, a great forum....and a far better magazine)

I am a Bunkered subscriber also ( only for the free golf)I would not subscribe other wise

However - I am more than happy to subscribe to GM as the journalism, advice, overall product is superior

But that's only my wee opinion....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there any demo version of the GM Ipad that can be downloaded.

HID has just got an Ipad but am sure she would rather I downloaded my GM and borrowed it rather than having mags all over the house.

Would be interested to see if the extra digital content interests me and is worth the sacrifice of not having a paper copy on the doorstep.

Is there a facility to swap a paper subscription to digital?

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Mike, I'll have a look when I get home. Would prefer it to be cheaper though

FaldosJumper - just out of interest why do you think it should be even cheaper than £3.99? Just keen to get feedback and views on digital editions

Is it not cheaper to produce?

What I'll do is buy a copy and give you an opinion. Loaded the app on my iPhone and looking for your magazine I can't find it. Is it iPad only content? If so when I get home I'll give it a go on that. I find the newspaper apps on the iPad excellent so would be interested to see how yours measures up.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But the reality is that very few people will bother to cancel one subscription to Sky/GM/mobile phone/insurance company etc and immediately take out another one. As Mike has said, lots of businesses reserve the best deals for new customers - because they know that once those customers have been signed up, there's a good chance they'll stay with you for years (at the increased price). Charging more to people who are trying your product for the first time is likely to put them off - and any business relies on finding new customers.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Greg, I'm afriad there isnt a demo option on the iPad edition (or the ability to switch from prin tto digital yet) but I tell you what, download the Zinio app, buy the latest issue of GM, have a look at all the multimedia content and if you dont think it's any good, give me some feedback on where we're coming up short then I'll send you a couple of sleeves of balls so you're not out of pocket

FaldosJumper - Zinio are working on iPhone version but not ready yet and TBH i think it wont really work that well on anything but bigger iPad format. Give it a go and let us know what you think. Same offer as to Greg above.
Re price what we are saving on paper and distribiution but those is cancelled out by having to share revenue with Zinio and the additional costs incured generating the multimedia content.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg, I'm afriad there isnt a demo option on the iPad edition (or the ability to switch from prin tto digital yet) but I tell you what, download the Zinio app, buy the latest issue of GM, have a look at all the multimedia content and if you dont think it's any good, give me some feedback on where we're coming up short then I'll send you a couple of sleeves of balls so you're not out of pocket

FaldosJumper - Zinio are working on iPhone version but not ready yet and TBH i think it wont really work that well on anything but bigger iPad format. Give it a go and let us know what you think. Same offer as to Greg above.
Re price what we are saving on paper and distribiution but those is cancelled out by having to share revenue with Zinio and the additional costs incured generating the multimedia content.

Mike, when does the next issue come out on Ipad? I am off on holiday at the weekend for a couple of weeks and I have the Ipad and a free Wifi link in the room. If it was available it would be great to download the latest edition to read in the sun whilst I am away.

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Mike, when does the next issue come out on Ipad? I am off on holiday at the weekend for a couple of weeks and I have the Ipad and a free Wifi link in the room. If it was available it would be great to download the latest edition to read in the sun whilst I am away.

It's available now for download, just downloaded my version tonight. Quite impressed to be honest some things I'd like clarified or point some things out but on the whole it's the way forward for me... No more piles of magazines in the loo :eek:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think that may be the one I already have. I already subscribe to the paper issue and think I am due another one in a couple of weeks.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been subscribing to the iPad version since May and it's superb. Brilliant for flights and when sat by the hotel pool.

The interactive content is great and can only get better. Missus is happy as well as she isn't tripping over used copies any more...... :D

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
I think i would go for the Ipad version if there was some sort of gift, otherwise i would make do with the paper version.