Responding to subscription and gift posts

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Evening all

hope you've all managed to tee it up at some point this weekend and have an enjoyable few hours golfing.

I just wanted to follow up on a couple of recent posts - Toon Army's subscription related one and Big Slice's one re the Bunkered free rounds subscription offer.

GM subscription offer
I have responded on gifts for first time subscribers a few times before but always happy to clarify the position, as I know it does cause some confusion.

Our subscription model is same as used in many businesses that run on repeat purchase. Be it insurance, gym membership, Sky/Cable TV etc where new customers are encouraged to sign-up with a special offer.

Where we probably differ from other repeat businesses is that we DO then reward loyalty by offering a special reduced price (roughly 20% on the RRP) to subscribers who renew after year 1.

However, as a business we could not afford to automatically offer give everyone a dozen Z Stars, or repeat the big (up to 50%) introductory discount, every time they renewed. GM has around 27,000 subscribers, to be giving away a significant gift or massive discount to each and everyone would send us bust pretty quickly.

The thing is Toon Army, at the point you took out your first subscription to GM, you will have benefited from an great introductory offer (be it free golf balls, another gift or a big reduction on the RRP), so it’s not as if you didn’t get a good incentive and are then forced to look at others getting a great deal.

As Toon Army said, the reality is that if you can be bothered to make the effort you could decide not to not renew your current subscription and then take out a new one thereby benefiting from the current new subscriber offer.

My view is that expecting to get a dozen premium balls or a discount over and above 20% off the cover price every time you renew your subscription is simply unrealistic.

I guess the bottom line is that if you don't feel that getting circa 20% discount off the single issue price, the magazine delivered to your door before it goes on general sale, the limited edition subscriber only front covers and subscriber only competitions and/or offers represents a good package then we, as a business, can't match your expectations as a customer. The end result is that you won’t renew.

At the end of the day, our ability to retain subscribers can't be based on just giving stuff away. It has to be based on all the reasons mentioned above plus, and most importantly from my perspective, that we produce a golf mag that entertains and informs its readers. I

Bunkered subscription offer
I’d certainly agree that a free round on the Kintyre and The Dukes is a v nice gift but I juts don’t think it wouldn’t be possible for GM to do something like this. Why? Two main reasons…

Geography.
Bunkered have partnered with courses either side of Scotland that at least one of which is (I warn this is finger in the air stuff) reachable in under 2 hours by the vast majority of folk take out the subscription offer as Bunkered is 100% aimed at the Scottish market and I can’t think bar a few expats they have many subscribers outside of Scotland.

By contrast GM have subscribers all over GB&I, Europe and indeed the world. We can make it a GB&I only offer as we do quite often but to keep every ‘home golfer’ happy we’d have to negotiate deals certainly all around GB&I in order to not make it exclusive.

Can you imagine how hacked off all the Welsh boys would be if we did a similar offer… but it was only for courses in England, Scotland and Ireland because we couldn’t get a partner in Wales.

To make sure we have a golf offer that is relevant to all our GB&I readers is that twice a year we give away a free GreenFree 2 for 1 vouchers that are valid at over 1000 courses in GB&I. If you subscribe you’ll get both of these. Use both of them and you’ve got the equivalent of a free round!

The next one is being given away FREE with the next issue of GM (November coverdate which will be on sale early next month)

Limited exposure
Imurg summed this up v succinctly. The potential take up on a similar offer in GM could be massive and as such very difficult for us to organise. Although Bunkered don’t publish audited circulation figures we estimate them to be around 10,000 a month. We have 60,000. That’s 6 times the risk for any potential partner. I don’t think there would be a lot of courses keen to expose themselves to potentially that many free rounds of golf.

Hope the above helps explain why things as they are.

Any more queries fire away!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a non answer before Mike maybe you could clarify why it is cheaper to subscribe in the US than Ireland?

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I guess the bottom line is that if you don't feel that getting circa 20% discount off the single issue price, the magazine delivered to your door before it goes on general sale, the limited edition subscriber only front covers and subscriber only competitions and/or offers represents a good package then we, as a business, can't match your expectations as a customer. The end result is that you won’t renew.

At the end of the day, our ability to retain subscribers can't be based on just giving stuff away. It has to be based on all the reasons mentioned above plus, and most importantly from my perspective, that we produce a golf mag that entertains and informs its reader.

Bang on the Money Mike, well summed up.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
succinctly put Mike, I think its fantastic what you offer especially to renew. I don't even have to go out in the rain to get it either :cool:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, just having the magazine on my doorstep when I get home from work is enough for me to subscribe.

I would buy the magazine every month so subscribing is a no brainer. If I did not want to read magazine every month then no offer would get me to subscribe.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i wasnt having a go at GM, as i said out all of the golf mags it is the best. easy to read, good articles, and not cluttered like some of the others. im a continual subscriber and not fussed about free balls to new subscribers etc. i look forward to it arriving at my door. and hope to be for years to come. good to see there are over 60000 of us :D and i can see why the other mag are giving free golf promotion.
Us Scots love free golf and today my team came second in a charity comp and won a fourball at a lovely golf club in Irvine. :D (thought i would include this to save posting later) :D
GM is the best mag :cool:

sorry just re read M answer surely it was "would" not "wouldnt" so there is a chance for free golf then :eek:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres enough incentive to be a dedicated GM subscriber. You get an amazing magazine every month with great reviews, articles and tips. If you want free balls, go down to your local course early morning and take them off the fairways and greens...

GM also offer so much to forumers, like the top 25 coach day, centenary games and even the FREE power play event.

Quit your whinging and suck it up like big boys.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
succinctly put Mike, I think its fantastic what you offer especially to renew. I don't even have to go out in the rain to get it either :cool:

P.S if you would only offer Prov 1x balls :D

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i got my first issue as a subscriber this month :) only thing is i havent had my subscribers gift? at the time of ordering the subscription i think the offer was 12 srixon z stars... my question is does this take longer to arrive? or have i just not got them by mistake or something? a reason would be aprreciated :) (not meant to be criticism and even if i dont recieve them it wont stop me subscribing to gm :) )

johnboywalton

Head Pro
Visit site
i got my first issue as a subscriber this month :) only thing is i havent had my subscribers gift? at the time of ordering the subscription i think the offer was 12 srixon z stars... my question is does this take longer to arrive? or have i just not got them by mistake or something? a reason would be aprreciated :) (not meant to be criticism and even if i dont recieve them it wont stop me subscribing to gm :) )

I am totaly the opposite, my balls arrived over 2 weeks ago but no mag! :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

From experience they usually come anything from 2-5 weeks later.

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Theres enough incentive to be a dedicated GM subscriber. You get an amazing magazine every month with great reviews, articles and tips. If you want free balls, go down to your local course early morning and take them off the fairways and greens...

GM also offer so much to forumers, like the top 25 coach day, centenary games and even the FREE power play event.

Quit your whinging and suck it up like big boys.

why would you want to steal balls off of greens and fairways?

suck what up like big boys?another mag offers a better deal?its just competition everyone has it, GM is no different lets be realistic

i enjoy the mag,forum etc but wont subscribe as i like the few games of golf my local mag gives me.and the 8 issued well worth 34 quid

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[quote From experience they usually come anything from 2-5 weeks later.

[/QUOTE]

ok thanks, ill be patient for a few more weeks then :)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
With you 100% Mike.

I enjoyed an incentive when I started subscribing (more years ago than I care to remember) and have no problem with new subscribers also getting one.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I subscribe to Golf Digest, the US magazine. Good value subscription, and in the last month they have just thrown in a free iPad/tablet version of the magazine too, which is excellent and has some extra content. In contrast, GM charge extra for the tablet version. Should this not be free for print subscribers?