Energy company gone bust

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another Avro casualty here. We've been switched to Octopus same as. Had introductory email. They reckon they're fair and are say they're giving ex Avro customers a lower deal than their current customers. Well recommenced by Which too.

Will wait for now and see what happens when the dust settles.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will we be allowed to choose a different supplier from the one on offer ? .
You can but may not get any credit refund. Go with the one provided and then switch later. The Ofgem deal means the nominated provider will pay any credit due and will not charge an exit fee if you decide to switch later.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just had a look at octopus standard variable 18p for electric 4.5p for gas which is ironically cheaper than their fix

This is my conundrum at the minute - I'm on their variable tariff (as it was cheaper than fixing when it ran out a few months ago), but if I stay on it, I risk the prices going up again or I go onto their fixed which is silly expensive (but no more expensive than any other providers offering a fixed at the minute).

I can't fault Octopus. They've always been super transparent and massively helpful in terms of customer service.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my conundrum at the minute - I'm on their variable tariff (as it was cheaper than fixing when it ran out a few months ago), but if I stay on it, I risk the prices going up again or I go onto their fixed which is silly expensive (but no more expensive than any other providers offering a fixed at the minute).

I can't fault Octopus. They've always been super transparent and massively helpful in terms of customer service.
Yeah their customer service is spot on

My smart metre had a wobble told me I had used £9000 in gas in a day (possible soon I'm guessing) but I emailed them within hour they said DW the bill says £8 for the month which they issued their and then to make sure I wouldn't be charged

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah their customer service is spot on

My smart metre had a wobble told me I had used £9000 in gas in a day (possible soon I'm guessing) but I emailed them within hour they said DW the bill says £8 for the month which they issued their and then to make sure I wouldn't be charged

haha. I had one friend who had an issue with their smart meter, and before they could even contact Octopus, they'd contacted HIM to let him know there was a problem and they were investigating. Issue was sorted in less than 24 hours.

IanMcC

Visit site
See post 40.
We also got the same price increase email from Igloo before they went bust, luckily the wife contacted them and stopped the payment.
I read somewhere that, because Bulb has so many customers, the government will step in and take Bulb into public ownership if it looks like going under. Things change rapidly though, of course.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got an email today from Bulb asking me to raise my DD...

'Top up to keep your account healthy '

Your account is low on credit (PS: it has about £350 in it with a DD of £140)
Although your account is in credit, you’re currently using more energy than your monthly payments can cover. If you top up your account now, you can keep your monthly payments the same, and avoid your account building up debit over winter.

-x-x-
looks like they are trying to find any capital they can find..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had a long ongoing problem with British Gas which has gone on for over six months, the lack of customer support and time I've had to spend calling them has been appalling. I put in a complaint to the Ombudsman and just had notification they have upheld my complaint and given them eighteen days to put the issue right, give me an apology and make me a penalty payment of three months energy cost. Very impressed.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had a long ongoing problem with British Gas which has gone on for over six months, the lack of customer support and time I've had to spend calling them has been appalling. I put in a complaint to the Ombudsman and just had notification they have upheld my complaint and given them eighteen days to put the issue right, give me an apology and make me a penalty payment of three months energy cost. Very impressed.

That is good news.... I've been with BG once in my life and will never do it again, I'd never recommend them to anyone.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I was with The People’s Energy, they’ve gone under, been transferred to BG, will be moving as soon as possible due to previous experience with them. I’ve got £900 credit so need to get that all sorted first, I’ve got all my latest statements, and had just done meter readings when they went under.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was with The People’s Energy, they’ve gone under, been transferred to BG, will be moving as soon as possible due to previous experience with them. I’ve got £900 credit so need to get that all sorted first, I’ve got all my latest statements, and had just done meter readings when they went under.
£900, that's a lot of credit and money in someone else's bank account.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
BG might be the worst company in the country. Trading on the name and long gone reputation rather than anything of actual value. Must have been 2005ish when I promised myself never to use them again.
My issue of multiple meters which didn’t exist and couldn’t be solved lead to numerous enforcement letters of them being put in our letter box. We cut you off tomorrow, we are going to take your belongings, … It all miraculously disappeared when I looked up who their ceo was at the time, worked out their internal email structure, and bombarded him daily with complaints, bypassing customer serviced who were useless all the time.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why would you build up that much credit? We run my mother in laws account and she massively overpays due to worrying about being cut off in winter due to higher bills. We tell her she could turn everything on all day and not get anywhere near running out of credit but she won't listen. It may be an older generation thing, not sure.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
https://assets.avroenergy.co.uk/default.aspx try this link to log in to your account
Thanks for that link, really useful.

I have been fighting with Avro since January when they doubled my Mum's DD. I tried to leave and they blocked it. Finally managed it two weeks before they went belly up (to Pure Planet) and the robbing gits still took the Direct Debit even after the supply had moved. Chellie's link shows she is £500 in credit. Apparently I have to wait for it all to wash through the system, but my expectations of success are low.

My own provider (Eon) has just told me I need to send them £260 and up my DD by £20 per month, even though I am only £20 in Debit - ostensibly to cover the larger use coming in Winter. Chasing cash me thinks.