Embarrassed after win

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My partner and I won an Open Comp at the weekend. We both played really well and won the morning fourball better ball and then the afternoon greensomes. In the past, this event has only allowed pairs to win one prize - we thought we'd get the overall winners trophy. We were more than embarrassed to be given all three prizes.
How do most clubs do these things? This is the first time in any Open Day that I have seen it done like this. Sharing the prizes out encourages people to go back for more. We were really chuffed to do so well - yet left feeling that it wasn't right to take away all of the cut glass!

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen it done where you win the trophy (ie get your name on it) but dont win the prize. Usually the higher prize is won and the lower ones go the next best pair/player. You should still get your name on the trophies though as you won them and played better than everyone else on the day , which is the idea..

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn't an open comp but I've been in that situatuion in work society day at West Surrey. Won the morning betterball and afternoon singles plus longest drive morning and afternoon and nearest the pin in the morning. It was a bit of a relief when I didn't win the afternoon nearest pin, it was getting very embarressing keep having my name called out.

nulassilb

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On reflection, I think the fact that I had been about six times before and it had always been done differently (one prize per pair) was what shocked me.
I went to make my "Thank you " speech and said, "I'd like to say a few thank you's" and someone murmured,
"Yeah, the handicap committee!"
Perhaps that was fuelling the embarrassment.

C

CannyFifer

One prize which is the highest value at our club, would take them all though so no need to be embarrassed( I hate spelling that word )