Elite amateur golf tournaments

evemccc

Visit site
I had the pleasure of watching a +6 and +3 handicap in a match recently — about 3 other people were walking round with them. It was a perfect golf viewing experience (for me), and saw some top class golfers at very close range. I’ve decided that this is the golf I want to watch in the future

Aside from the R&A events, of which I can google. What other events am I able to watch elite golfers with little crowd and for free / v cheap….

I can think of the Lytham Trophy, Birkdale Goblet (?) and the Sunningdale Foursomes….are you able to walk the course and watch these?

Which other prestigious courses hold such events?

D

Deleted member 23270

Loads around, where are you based? Brabazon trophy, Hampshire Hog, Carris trophy. Senior home Internationals at Pyle and Kenfig in September.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I walked the final of the Sunningdale Foursomes and the Rose Ladies Series (Pro plus invited Ams) at Walton Heath this year. Free entry and superb watching. You get close up - if not personal - to the players and see golf that mere mortal handicappers can only dream of. I will definitely be watching more even though my own clubs girl rising star Is now off to Florida State Uni.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I thinks there are plenty of junior elite tournaments around Scotland, not that many up here for adults though the are a handful one being the Northern open, but the fields a really shrinking looked at the start sheet for this on our notice board and had under 40 entries. The Amateur championship would be worth a visit to watch a day's play.

Visit site
Selborne Salver/Hampshire Hog is a good one (Blackmoor/North Hants). I followed some good golfers round Blackmoor and it’s great to be able to watch their golf from a more personal distance than you get to see at big pro events.

Senior Open practice round was good at Walton Heath a few years ago as it wasn’t roped off and you could follow down the fairways (I think?! Hazy memory I think I had a few beers and been to Walton Heath a few times)

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've not been to any here in Ireland but a friend has. He said it's a great experience, you see top quality golf at close range and pick up a few little tips along the way.
He said what was noticable was how easy they appear to swing, with great rythm but get unbelievable distance. Also as expected brilliant short games.

Actually one of the big events here, the Irish Amateur Close was played this week. Strokeplay qualifying for 64 places, followed by matchplay. Was won by a 31 year old police officer (Garda)
The fact it was won by someone with a full time job went down very well. Most other elite level championships in recent times have been won by young full time amateurs