Electric trundler?

MattSmith

Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading to an electric caddy. Is it worth it? Would love to hear from anyone who have recently moved from push to electric. Seems like a luxury step, but as I'm getting older, it's starting to make more and more sense. Keen to hear brand recommendations.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The first time I used an electric trolley I couldn't believe how less tired I felt at the end. Some would disagree, but I'd recommend remote control, the luxury of not having to handle the trolley all of the time in an unnatural position is an absolute boon.

Go for it!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
They also pull you up hills, if you have an undulating course.

I’d not bother with remote control, it’s a faff and you look like someone with far too much cash to burn. Also just something else to go wrong

Several good makes out there, I’ve got a Powerbug, folds up small, never had a problem with it 👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Made life a lot easier. Had several with the (heavy) lead acid battery. Switched to a lithium-ion battery, which could be left in situ when folding the trolley and lifting it into the boot of the car.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My only regret with moving from carrying to using any sort of a trolley was all the extra walking I had to do. It did not take me long to go from a manual trolley to an electric one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't buy more gadgets than you need. If you already have a gps, then don't bother with a trolley with a built in gps. Consider if you need downhill control or is your course fairly flat? A basic trolley might be more suitable than a more expensive one with all the bells and whistles.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have a Motocaddy S1. It’s as basic as an electric trolley comes these days.

It does the job I want and no more so there is less to go wrong.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think it also depends on the course. I have the Mk.1 GoKart but forgot my battery one day so had to rent a push trolley. Ours is quite a hilly one and I certainly noticed the difference in pushing. I would agree with the others. Just go for as simple as possible without too many whistles and bells. As others have said, less to go wrong.
There are plenty of good brands out there. Not just the big names like Powakaddy and Motocaddy. I would also agree to go with a Lithium battery. So many benefits over lead-acid.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They’re great on course. But I hate the faff of putting them in and out of cars, the garage, the clubhouse etc. Get one that folds small or accept you’re inevitably going to hurt your back one day.

Ideally I’ll Carry4Life ✊

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Motocaddy S1. It’s as basic as an electric trolley comes these days.

It does the job I want and no more so there is less to go wrong.
No where near really as Motocaddy S1 costs £650.... whereas a GoKart Automatic with 18 hole Lithium is just £479 with waaaay better service backup when needed.

BiMGuy

Visit site
No where near really as Motocaddy S1 costs £650.... whereas a GoKart Automatic with 18 hole Lithium is just £479 with waaaay better service backup when needed.
What has the price got to do with how simple the trolley is?

I’ve never needed to use the Motocaddy customer service so I couldn’t comment on how good it is.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading to an electric caddy. Is it worth it? Would love to hear from anyone who have recently moved from push to electric. Seems like a luxury step, but as I'm getting older, it's starting to make more and more sense. Keen to hear brand recommendations.

I’d ask what you want from the trolley?

Does the car have a big boot?
If not you’ll need a higher end unit that folds smaller.

Will it be kept in the car during the week?
If not weight meets to be considered.

Do you have a gps/laser?
If you have one do you need to spend the extra on one with a gps just because?

I’d also assess your course:

If it’s exceptionally holly it may be worth looking at a 36 hole battery. While it’s overkill at the start, as the battery life deteriorates further down the line it will hold on that bit longer.

Does your course impose any restrictions on trolley use in the winter (hedge hogs wheels, restricted routes, potentual full bans)

There’s great units out there to suit all but you need to know what you actually want from it. I don’t use mine during the winter due to restricted paths and I hate full hedge hogs as I find they clog up.

I’m hearing lots of horror stories about trolleys with Carlos fandango gps lcd screens that keep cracking etc and cost fortunes to replace, what’s funny is users purchased the gps model when they have both a laser and/or gps already.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What has the price got to do with how simple the trolley is?

I’ve never needed to use the Motocaddy customer service so I couldn’t comment on how good it is.
Nowt, though 'basic' is usually a reference to price! :unsure: Plenty of guys at our place can comment on the Motocaddy service & it's not good.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I think it also depends on the course. I have the Mk.1 GoKart but forgot my battery one day so had to rent a push trolley. Ours is quite a hilly one and I certainly noticed the difference in pushing. I would agree with the others. Just go for as simple as possible without too many whistles and bells. As others have said, less to go wrong.
There are plenty of good brands out there. Not just the big names like Powakaddy and Motocaddy. I would also agree to go with a Lithium battery. So many benefits over lead-acid.
My Powerbug lets me unlock the wheels from the axle so they freewheel if neccessary.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Nowt, though 'basic' is usually a reference to price! :unsure: Plenty of guys at our place can comment on the Motocaddy service & it's not good.
In my humble opinion ‘basic’ is a reference to the features of a product not a price.